Equipment suggest for Christmas

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Seems that my step son (12 years old) is a budding guitarist. I started out letting him play my acoustic and when he kept up the practice for a while and made some headway on some Metallica songs he likes, I gave him permission to play my Schecter electric. So the wife and I are planning on a guitar for Christmas..

Anyone know anything about that Fender Special strat at Musiciansfriend? I have never felt real comfortable about the package deals but it would be great to be able to get him a guitar and amp.. Trying to keep it under $250 US.

I have even thought about going used but time is running out.. and there are other kids to buy for... oh I dread Christmas

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Are you wanting to get him a full size or 3/4 size guitar? I have a 3/4 Squier Strat and Crate 10 watt amp that I bought for my son a couple of years ago. He never really practiced, so it has basically sat for 2 years. I've been meaning to put it on craigslist for him, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd give you a good deal on it.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I appreciate the offer.. and that is beautiful guitar but apparently his momma bred him well cause he is bigger than I am. I think we're gonna look for a full size for him.. I wasnt sure if that Fender SE Strat special was a full size or 3/4.

Guitar Center is having some specials on Friday.. but I really hate going there.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Figured it would be too small for a 12 year old. My son was 10 when I got it for him. They have the packs w/ full size strats as well. Take a look at putting together your own "pack" though. I got both my boys guitars the same year. My older son got a Squier Bullet that was $100 and I found a used 10 watt amp on ebay for $40 or so. I had extra cable and a tuner. If you don't have an extra tuner, you can get one of those Korgs for $25. If you do it right, you can get better gear for the same price or less.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

The Fender Starcaster package from Costco seems to get decent reviews...

http://tinyurl.com/ygcs7za

It is $199... so if you don't have a membership already, it may be worth it to pay for a membership to get it (and then use it for the rest of the year for other Christmas gifts and shopping).

One thing to note... Costco has AMAZING return policies. You can pretty much return it any time and get your money back (store credit probably)

I would also recommend a Vox Amplug ... great for quieting down his practice! http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys

Ended up getting a used Harmony Electric. Looks like a Fender knock off with a peavy amp and a boss multi-effect for 200 used. Played everything and its sounded pretty good. The guitar played really nice. There is a little noise but I think its the cable, or possibly a little loose connection at the input on the guitar. Pretty good deal I think

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Thanks guys

Ended up getting a used Harmony Electric. Looks like a Fender knock off with a peavy amp and a boss multi-effect for 200 used. Played everything and its sounded pretty good. The guitar played really nice. There is a little noise but I think its the cable, or possibly a little loose connection at the input on the guitar. Pretty good deal I think

Well, that takes care of it. Otherewise I'd give the nod to GC, though you didn't want to go there.

I have son's friends who bought Costco's deals, the things wouldn't play, and all of them broke on the third day.

We know about them personally - who do they come to for a free set up, then fix or repair? Certainly not at Costco?

But then again, there's the return policy which is good as indicated ... I dunno, I'm not a member, since it is a buying club format.

Congrats on your choice, and to supercede my little venting (which is also advice), I say you made a great decision! I'm happy for you. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote