Clear all

Equipment You Wished You Still Had...

21 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't know if I'm unique in the fact that I've turned over plenty of guitars in my years of playing (which really isn't that many). I've probably owned 30 guitars, but only 5 or 6 at one time. I'll sell one, and pick up a new one... looking for "the guitar" or guitars that speak to me...

Over the years I've definitely sold a few that I wished I'd had kept... any of you the feel the same? Here is a quick list:

2000 Fender USA Texas-Special Stratocaster (sunburst with maple neck). I had put this one together myself and for some reason I wanted to buy one that Fender had put together. I still don't have a USA strat, and nothing I've picked up since comes close to that guitar.

Michael Kelly Semi-Hollow Les Paul with Duncan JB/JAZZ... this guitar was AWESOME and was relatively cheap. I sold this one because the headstock logo had discolored and looked "milky" and I think it made the guitar look like a cheap knock-off. New flash! It was a cheap knock-off!!! But it sounded GREAT and had abalone inlays and a great quilted maple top.

Fender Lite Ash Telecaster. I bought this one off of Bish and it was a wonderful instrument (better than new). I have no clue why I sold this... I think I wanted to pick up my Hamer or the Fender Tele Custom so I needed the money. Great guitar.

Hamer Standard - just sold this one... I'm ok with it since the guitar was HEAVY, but man the action was silly low. Korean-made Hamers are awesome guitars. I do miss that guitar, but I never played it given the weight so that one doesn't hurt so much.

Squier '51 Guinness Guitar... Another guitar that ended up feeling like a cheap knock-off to me so I decided to sell. It really was a great guitar, especially when I put a Fender Lite Ash Tele neck on it (got the idea from the Lite Ash Tele I had from Bish). I do wish I still had that one since it was dirt cheap and played really well. i didn't like, however, the metal switch-plate... it seemed too gimmicky for me, but it was a nice guitar.

One Amp - I had a Fender Performer 1000 which was a really tough-sounding hybrid amp. It had just great dirty distortion. I like my Traynor much better - don't get me wrong - but that Performer was LOUD and in your face. What a great back-up amp.

Ok, if any of you have your own war stories, feel free to share them!!!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@alangreen)

My Vox Flanger pedal. I could tweak it manually so it sounded like I was playng in a rubbish bin if I wanted to. It died on me.

A :-(

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Fender DG-22S
Breedlove SC-20 Koa
Tacoma PKK-40

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I once had a Yamaha FG-300 in the early 70's.

It was a copy of a Gibson Hummingbird & had an adjustable bridge.

It was sweet.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

A late 80's Japanese made bass I paid $1000 for, can't remember the name, but it was hella sweet looking and sounded great. Also, that 68 Fender Mustang I had in 97 would be great to still have.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Teisco Del Rey hollowbody guitar and Checkmate head/bottom that were my first (still have the pups!)

The maple neck + fingerboard I designed and built by hand while in high school (fit the Teisco, above)

Mid 70's Ibanez "Lawsuit" SG -- my first decent electric

Late 70's Ibanez Artist solidbody with "Flying Finger" 'buckers (traded SG for this :cry: . Still have one of those Flying Finger pups in my parts bin)

The first original Pignose amp I bought (replaced years later).

Equipment I almost had and still might get: my bother's early 70s Silvertone/Teisco solidbody electric and Fender Vibro-Champ!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Fender DG-22S
Breedlove SC-20 Koa
Tacoma PKK-40

Remember that you also used to have a Washburn ?

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I once had a Yamaha FG-300 in the early 70's.Excellent guitar, my Mother played one of those for many years, great sound. I had a mid 80's Pearl White Dean, ultimate shredder guitar, similar to a strat body style. Completely loaded, metalheads's dream guitar that I had to sell, hard up for $$$ at the time.

I miss that one the most... :(

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I still do, a D-84 Golden Harvest. But yes I did, a D22s. Thanks a lot Rahul, are you trying to make me cry? :(

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Back in the 80's, I'd just been made redundant, so with a few thousand pounds in my bank, I didn't think it'd hurt to buy a decent guitar. I saw - and fell in love with - an Epiphone LP. All I'd had before that was a nylon-strung acoustic, a low-end SG copy, and a no-name something or other!

So I bought the Epi - and a Vox AC30 amp to go with it. I was in heaven for a few months - until the redundancy money ran out, the then-wife followed it, and I ended up totally broke and living in a Salvation Army hostel. So I sold the guitar and amp.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh...............

I did actually see the guitar again about a year later - in a music shop just around the corner from the hostel. Funny thing was, I'd offered it to him before I sold it to a second-hand (pawn) shop - and he didn't want to risk it, thought it might have been stolen!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Steve:

I offered to sell back to you the Guiness guitar several months ago. Either that, or a trade, can't remember. You declined, remember? You want it back, let me know, I might want to trade or sell still. PM me.

Mike

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

1957 Fender Musicmaster, A sweet little guitar with an awesome tone.

1964 Fender Bassman, The ultimate blues amp and the perfect combination with the Musicmaster .

In the '70s this kind of stuff was considered old used equipment before the vintage thing
really took off. I think I payed about $20 for the guitar and $150 for the amp.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

A 1972 Fender Mustang. The body resonated "Loudly" when an E tuning fork was struck and held to it. I could also hold the thing up by the wang bar and shake it and it wouldn't go out of tune.

A 1970 Fender Super Reverb amp.

A Vox Fuzz-Wah pedal and a Big Muff Pi fuzz box. When I put them both together, the overdrive was so intense that the frequency of the feedback could be controlled by the pedal. Kinda like Brian May's crazed solo on Queen's "Sheer Heart Attack".

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I owned a 60's (can't remember the exact year) Fender Bandmaster head with the 4 X 12 cab back in the 70's. That was a good sounding amp and they get pretty good bucks today. I ended up trading it for a nice Yamaha acoustic that I played for years until my ex accidently knocked it off it's stand and snapped the neck. At least she said it was an accident. :D

I had a Univox Les Paul copy back then too. It was late 60s or early 70s. It was an excellent playing and sounding guitar with nice craftmanship. They are a collector's item now. I pawned it to pay some bills in the 80s.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I had a beautiful late 80's American made Fender Strat, sunburst with a maple neck, I purchased brand new along with a Roland Jazz Chorus amp.... also victims of pawned to help pay bills in the early 90's. *big sigh* :(

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2