Ever read a bad online guitar review?

14 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
donzo
(@donzo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This is in part inspired by that last "honesty" thread. I've been searching for a new guitar (or 2 or 3 - I can't afford them all, but I still need to find them so I know what I'm missing). Part of that involves trying to find on-line reviews.

And I can't find a bad review for the life of me. (Other than maybe on this forum :)). Harmony Central, EOpinions, any of those online magazine reviews, almost all reviews for every guitar are positive. The only negative reviews seem to be the "I bought this piece of junk and the neck fell off and it took me 3 months to get it replaced". You know, they have nothing to do with "this guitar sounds like crap for the money", its more of a single bad incident that someone wants to rant about.

So - the question is:

- are ALL guitars good value for the money
or
- do all reviewers want to either (a) sell guitars (i.e. magazines) or (b) want to convince themselves they've got a great deal (Harmony C, EOpinions) or is it
- only people who are thrilled by their guitar write online reviews?

Maybe people just don't want to talk about how they got ripped off?

The good thing is its really easy to justify buying whatever you want, because you go read the reviews and realise your choice is one of the best guitars ever made so why not?

Don

U2Bono269
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

ive read some bad reviews...Guitar Player magazine was very unkind to SX Guitars. I've read some crap on harmony central too...stopped me from buying a guitar awhile back.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
causnorign
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I can't recall ever reading a really middle of the road review on Harmony Central, they seem to be great or horrible. My method was to disregard all the real super reviews and all the real junk reviews and see what was left in the middle which was usually nothing. Then I went out and tried all the guitars in my price range and style.

ReplyQuote
Chris C
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I know what you mean about reviews - I've noticed exactly the same thing - either raves or rants without too many scores of 4,5, or 6 ever given.

I think that all the possible reasons you given are in part true. And I do think that the guitar market is now so well established that most mass produced guitars do represent pretty reasonable value for money. It's easy to forget just how much we'd have to pay for a really good quality hand made instrument.

I work on the theory that if I look at a guitar and it seems to look good, sound right, and play well when I try it then that's all that really matters. I might have been lucky and got a good one off the line, or I might be the sort of player who is satisfied with mediocre gear - but who cares! I like it. :wink:

And, as you say:
The good thing is its really easy to justify buying whatever you want, because you go read the reviews and realise your choice is one of the best guitars ever made so why not?

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Ignar Hillström
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

People who 'kinda' like a guitar don't post about it, only people who love it or hate it bother to write a review. Which is why HC is completely useless, the reviews are either by bitter and angry people or by peole who just got their stuff and love it. You know, the "I just got my Samick and it plays just as good as a Fender Custom Shop!!! OMG LOL!!!".

Just play them yourself. It takes some time, but who cares about what other think anyway.

ReplyQuote
Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I completely agree with Sleutelbos. I don't even read reviews. I figure out what I want and either take a chance on it unseen (usually the case, since I tend to like things that are out of the mainstream and unlikely to be found locally) or check it out in a local store where possible. If the store's deal is reasonable, I'll buy it there. It's the lowest of lowlife behavior to go try out stuff in stores, then order it online. At least without telling them you've been looking online and giving them a chance to match the price or come close (with the advantages of buying locally, such as setup and service support.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Nick Torres
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If it's the one you picked it must be the best bang for the buck that you could find. If you didn't like it, you wouldn't have bought it so you probably couldn't have much of an opinion on it.

ReplyQuote
Steve-0
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I find some pretty dumb reviews sometimes, but I notice them with effects pedals, and people will say something like "This pedal is junk, it's made of plastic when I stepped on it, it broke!", and I think: They do know that you're not actually supposed to STOMP on a stompbox, right? Sometimes it's nice to find something with ALOT of reviews, say you're looking at a guitar and it has 9 bad reviews out of 10, I would say keep looking. I notice that some reviews on Musiciansfriend have some dumb remarks ("this guitar only has 6 strings...") but you'll notice that alot of the serious ones tend to follow a pattern where 8 out of 12 or so people say the same thing ("Good guitar for it's price" or something like that).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Taso
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Exactly Nick.

most of those reviews come from people who bought them, very seldom are the reviews done by people who just review guitars.

The most important aspect is that most of the criteria is subjective. What one person likes in tone, another won't. If they didn't, they won't buy the guitar, and they probably won't review it either. It's all pretty meaningless, the real key is to play the guitars and decide for yourself. Even things like 'finish', which you'd expect to be 100% objective, also depend on the personality of the player. I like my AAA flame top Les Paul, some people don't, and prefer the standard look, which I can't stand. I want my finish to be totally smooth and without any marks, others feel that dents and marks add "character" to the guitar.

Subjective.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
Kevin72790
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Well yea, reviews are stupid. I mean, typically, a person will give the item a 10/10 or a 1/10, it's just human nature. That's why reviews are very deflated or inflated. Plus, the reviews that are written are typically chilidish, though you do come across one that does give a great review.

ReplyQuote
rocker
(@rocker)
Noble Member

play all the guitars that your interested in and then make your decision 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
racetruck1
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I've played cheap guitars that were great and cheap guitars that were crap!

I've played expensive name brand guitars that were great and others that were garbage.

Some people swear by cheap and others say that unless you buy expensive, you are wasting your money.

Pick any of them up and play it, if it feels good, sounds good, looks good, then it must be good!

Opinions are like A******'s, everyone has one, but you are the only one whohas the last say.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Oenyaw
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

racetruck1 couldn't be more correct. I actually go to Amazon to check customer reviews on many things I consider buying.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
cnev
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

In looking at reviews of loop stations/pedals recently I noticed the same thing either they loved them or they hated them so on that alone there wasn't a lot of value but if you look at the number of reviews and decide that the majority are good reviews vs bad ones you may get a better feeling about your purchase.

As for trying guitars out in a store I am of the belief that first of all I'm not going to actually buy the demo that's hanging on the wall at GC anyway. I'll try it out and if I like it I'll tell them I want a new unopened one. I know a lot of people claim that you have to try a bunch out before you get one that sounds right...maybe for different types but if I'm trying a Fender MIM Strat and I like it I can't beleive that the one the bring out that's unopened is going to be a piece of crap..if it is I'll return it or have it tweaked.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote