Clear all

Facing problems with a gig

18 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

"What, since when does Sleutelbos do gigs?" You might wonder. And rightly so as I haven't had a gig in, ehm, three years now. But I've send them the local radio station an e-mail, asking if I could send them [Spam alert] my latest cd [/Spam alert] so they might play it. Now I've got a mail that he went to the website on his own, downloaded the music and liked it. Now he wants me and the band to come and play a few songs live. That kicks butt ofcourse but there is a problem: there is no band, there never has been a band. And I find singing in tune hard enough as is, singing in tune while playing piano, two guitar tracks, drums and bass at the same time is really too much to ask of me.

I've asked if he could play a few tracks of the cd and have 'one of us' come for a little chat about the music but I think that's not going to be enough. Now what? Get a band together? Go apeshit and write a bunch of songs with just me and a guitar? Cut the songs down to the core and do Tell him I don't have a band and the whole band story is just made-up? Cut down my songs to the basics and do a half-arsed version of them? I really don't want to just walk-out of this thing but I can't see a way through it. Insights appreciated!

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

IMHO ... Honesty is the best policy. Talk to the guy. Tell him that you are the entire band. That's impressive enough in and of itself! Explain that the other "members" are actually your alter egos. Be up front with the guy. It could turn out to be a really interesting interview if he would talk to you about how you went about making your music, how you came up with the concepts, how you got it all to mesh, then play one of your songs, then discuss it some more. You could even discuss your alter egos and the parts they played in the making of your music (this could be really funny if you do it right!). Take your keyboard and a guitar (you don't necessarily have to sing live unless you want to). It's going to be much easier to come clean than it is going to be to try to put something (a band) together just to continue the "sham". You're a talented man, Arjen, let your talent speak for you. You don't need a gimmick. You're a musician.

Some friends of mine did a CD using a drum machine, but, they gave it a name (Alphonso LeRoi Davis) and gave Alphonso credit on the CD cover! When asked about Alphonso later, they had to make up a story about how Alphonso had been killed in a freak bowling accident. (He forgot to let go of the ball and followed it down the lane and the automatic pin setter crushed him. :lol: ) They finally came clean about that and now Alphonso occasionally makes "guest ghost appearances"!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I fully agree with Elektrablue - tell the truth, it's far more impressive than actually having a band.

You could even get indignant about it - "Band? What band? That's me, me, me and me!!" :D :D :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

WHAT!!!! there's no Band???
i feel totally violated!
Have you told Arjen? i bet not! i know he's gunna be pissed! (that means "angry" here)

time to hire and train some studio musicians. i suggest they wear tie-dye burkas :wink:
congrats on the gig.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Great advice, EB.
Arjen, I didn't realize you weren't a collective for, what, maybe a year? Your band member profiles and everything are really cleverly done.
If you're straight with him at this juncture, he'll probably think it's funny and interesting. But if you drag it out, he'll just end up feeling foolish and that's never a good starting point.

This is great news overall. Make it work and all the best!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Pretty much in agreement with Elecktra - man, you can be proud of your music! It's even more impressive when you realise it's just one guy doing everything. Tell him the truth, and have a couple of songs ready you can do on acoustic - preferably acoustic versions of songs on the CD.

Fingers crossed for you!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Are you trying to go commercial on us now? Typical sell-out. J/K

Congrats on the invitation. I guess I would have to agree with everyone and just tell him what the deal is not because I think it's necessarily the right thing to do but mainly because I don't see any other way around it.

With that said once you tell this guy what the deal is it may end this opportunity but who knows what else might come out of it.

I know you have mentioned before that "gigging" wasn't necessarily your thing but maybe you might want to rethink that or at least find some musicians who'd be willing to work with you on your music so if the opportunity comes up again you'll be ready.

The only other thing I can think of is to somehow rerecord the songs without the guitar and singing and use that as a backing track in the studio when you play.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

IMHO ... Honesty is the best policy. Talk to the guy. Tell him that you are the entire band. That's impressive enough in and of itself! Explain that the other "members" are actually your alter egos. Be up front with the guy. It could turn out to be a really interesting interview if he would talk to you about how you went about making your music, how you came up with the concepts, how you got it all to mesh, then play one of your songs, then discuss it some more. You could even discuss your alter egos and the parts they played in the making of your music (this could be really funny if you do it right!).
I couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the last part.
"To whom was that question addressed? Ignar, Arjen, Sleutolbos?" :D

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Seems like pretty much everyone says the same thing. I just mailed him with the real story (and my real name :oops: ) and explained him why I use that story and what the problem is musically. Let's wait and see how he takes it. Thanks for the opinions folks!

Ken: that's pretty weird, you spell 'sleutelbos' with an o in the middle, and that's exactly how you'd pronounce it in Dutch. Did you know that or was it just a weird coinsidence?

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

You know me better than that.
Of course it's weird.
I meant Arjan and Peter instead of Arjen and Sleutelwhatever too.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hope it works out for all of you - Arjen, Ingar, Sleutelbos, the whole gang! :wink: :lol: 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep Elecktrablue is right. Be honest.

Now get to work and record everything except maybe guitar. Then go in and punch a button and play guitar and sing to your recordings. I know a fellow who did this and it was a great show.

You never know, this might be your big break, get to work.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

You either have to go with the truth or explain how you have
Multiple Personality Disorder and each personality plays a
different part in the band.

I'd go with the truth (whichever it may be)

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

this is good reading. salut, arjen. what a most excellent predicament. what a great creative opportunity.
I have read some good advice here. I would add, just use your artistic skills and create the performance.
for a radio live taping gig you could bring your 'band' on a disc and then sing or play. it was pretty cool when David Byrne walked on stage with a boombox playing a drum loop. he then sang and played. he pretty much dispelled the 'band' mythic.
you have a lot of ways to go now. don't let them 'make you'. what you have produced has their attention.
you can format yourself to the situation and not be compromised.

on the other hand, dude! you need a band? I have a guitar ; when and where is the gig?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

let us know how the radio guy takes the news. All the best man, your tunes are wicked, now hopefully more shall hear them

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2