Notifications
Clear all

Favorite 80's Songs

31 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, I must have misread the original post - I mentioned my fave 5 80's LP's. As for singles.....welll....I still love "Safety Dance" and I really don't care what anyone else thinks of it. I also bought 99 Red Ballons - not for me, though, for an ex-girl-friend. Had to listen to it a lot, though! Then I got involved with a girl who was obsessed with Belinda Carlisle - boy, did I soon get bored with that, even though I actually liked Bel. C.....ever noticed the similarity between "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" and Bon Jovi's "Living On A Prayer?"

Funny, none of my ex-wives and even my current wife have ever shared my musical tastes - the one from the 70's actually liked Barry Manilow - the one from the 80's liked all kinds of weird (but BLAND!) stuff - the current one likes Bee Gees and Paul Potts and watches the X-Factor .....she even thinks Sharon Osbourne is human......

Sigh.....there isn't much hope is there!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Lots of good stuff listed. Some I've not heard of too.

So, speaking of 80's music, I replaced my son's Slayer CD in his alarm clock with the Culture Club and set it to "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?". Think he'll be mad in the morning? :twisted: :twisted:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" - probably, yes.

Think he'll be mad in the morning? - probably, yes.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I love(d) the '80's!

Quiet Riot -Cum On Feel The Noise
Dio -Rainbow In The Dark
Slayer -Spirit In Black
Iron Maiden -Where Eagles Dare
Journey -Separte Ways (Worlds Apart) R.I.P. two Frontiers cassette tapes :cry:
Romeo Void -Never Say Never
Eurythmics -Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of These)
The Romantics -Talking In Your Sleep
Yes -Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Genesis -Land Of Confusion
Tears For Fears -Everyone Wants To Rule The World
Information Society -What's On Your Mind? (Pure Energy)
Bananarama -Cruel Summer
SRV -Couldn't Stand The Weather

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

I don't see "Common Eileen" or "867-5309"

Tim

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Lots of good stuff mentioned. Hopefully, these are new additions:

Stand and Orange Crush - REM
Once in a Lifetime and I Burning Down the House - T. Heads
Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club
Belly of the Whale - The Burning Sensations
Future so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades - Timbuk3
Senses Working Overtime - XTC
Call Me and Rapture - Blondie
Boys of Summer and Sunset Grille - Don Henley
Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits
Emotional Rescue and Beast of Burden - Stones
The Beat Goes On/Switchin' to Glide - The Kings

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't see "Common Eileen"

I had it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Autograph - Turn up the radio
Dio - Holy Diver (Killswitch Engage has an awesome cover too)
Cum on feel the noise - Quiet Riot
Bon Jovi - You give love a bad name
Survivor - Eye of the tiger

I was still in diapers back in the 80's but love 80's rock. It was the kind of music that could get a soccer stadium singing along.

Yes, I'm aware I broke the genre rule thing. But rules are meant to be broken.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

I don't see "Common Eileen"

I had it.
so you did, and in the first post too.

the more i look at this post the more i remember songs i liked or still like i should say :)
I'll add
angel is a centerfold-jay giles band
whats love got to do with it-tina turner

Tim

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Dude - this is so funny because I heard Huey Lewis & The News "Power of Love" this morning on the way to work and got all nostalgic thinking about those cool roller-skating parties...man, I hit my stride in the 80's - easpecially 85 - 90... great stuff...

- Big Country - Big Country. I LOVE this song to this day

- Wait - White Lion - the entire first albumn ROCKS. This band was awesome but then forgot how to write songs. Their guitarist (Vito?) was an EVH clone and couold really play.

- Somebody Save Me - Cinderella. I LOVED Cinderella... man, they got really bluesy toward the end of their career. While I loved Shake Me and Nobody's Fool, I really love the riff on Somebody Save Me. And I loved the video with the twin girls walking down the hall with those polka-dot see-through skirts. Nice.

- Overkill / It's a Mistake - Men At Work - another band that I really dug in the 1980s. I pulled out their albums about 5 years ago and I still like them. I still love "Down by the Sea".

- High on You - Survivor - these guys had a really good record with "Vital Signs". They will forever be remembered for "Eye of the Tiger" but Vital Signs had many good songs.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

More ...

Band the Drum all Day -- The Runt (truly a guilty pleasure)
Pretty in Pink - P-Furs
Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung (more GP)
Africa - Toto
People Who Died - Jim Carroll Band

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll add
angel is a centerfold-jay giles band......

Oh Man, the J. Geils Band RULED. :)

I'm actually a bigger fan of the '70s stuff. My wife thought they were nothing but an early 80's pop band until I played some older stuff for her from the Anthology CD she got for me last year. Those boys used to absolutely rock, and with a sort of party sound to it. The Blow Your Face Out album is an outstanding live album as there was. They did do some decent studio stuff, obviously, but they kicked tail with the live stuff. Always wished I could of seen them.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

I'll add
angel is a centerfold-jay giles band......

Oh Man, the J. Geils Band RULED. :)

I'm actually a bigger fan of the '70s stuff. My wife thought they were nothing but an early 80's pop band until I played some older stuff for her from the Anthology CD she got for me last year. Those boys used to absolutely rock, and with a sort of party sound to it. The Blow Your Face Out album is an outstanding live album as there was. They did do some decent studio stuff, obviously, but they kicked tail with the live stuff. Always wished I could of seen them.
the 70s had great music too maybe you should start another thread.
I think centerfold is the only song i know from jay geils band. I'll have to check out that album. thanks
had to edit i just remembered Freeze Flame

Tim

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Glory Metal days -

Death Angel - "Bored" and "Confused" (I really liked the 1990 release Act III)
Iron Maiden - Anything and everything off of Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind
Metallica - Anything and Everything off of Metallicas' Master Of Puppets
Ozzy - second half of Diary of a Madman (Little Dolls, Tonight, S.A.T.O., Diary of a Madman)
Fates Warning - "The Ivory Gates Of Dreams" from 1988's No Exit, but I like the whole album

I could go on, but I think you folks get the drift here with my choices!!!!!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

80's here we go

Rush - Big Money, Red Sector A
U2 - Streets Have No Name, Pride, With or Without you, Nobody Knows What I'm On About
Spitting Image - the Chicken Song (Hoooold aaaa chicken in the air, stick a deckchair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes)
Madonna - Like A Prayer
Queen - I Want It all
Fleetwood Mac- Little Lies, Everywhere
Big Country - Look Away
Bangles - Set You Free, Going Down To Liverpool

Probably many others, but it's difficult to pin them down.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3