Favorite Beatles Tu...

Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Beatles Tunes

Page 1 / 2

(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm bored at work, so why not throw this out? My wife and I love the Beatles, but have very different tastes in music overall. Not suprisingly, we like different Beatles songs... What are some of your favorites? Why?

Our wedding song was "Friends and Lovers" so that is one of my favorites... I also like "All Too Much"...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Probably it could sounds not so good. I'm starting to appreciate The Beatles songs after I started to play bass. I've listened The Beatles' song all my live, I have several records (CD and vinyl), I play several songs on the guitar, but I'm starting to know and understand their music now.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hmmmm... excellent question, but a difficult one as well! There are so many wonderful Beatles songs.

The first thing that comes to mind, though, is "In My Life". And, of course, there's "Blackbird". And, then I have to mention"Revolution". I'm sure I'll think of more! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"Something." George, of course.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Dali.

Yes, 'It's All Too Much' is probably my all time favorite Beatles song ever.
What's not to like about it....?

The lush production/the distorted guitars/Ringo's drumming/the psychedelic swirl/the timing/the lyrics....
ALL EXCELLENT!

Love the Eastern POV.

Great one George!

I have to say that I think 'A Day in the Life' & 'Strawberry Fields' are probably the best Beatle songs.
Why?
Because Lennon is a freaking genius!

I Want You (She's so Heavy) has come to mean a lot to me in the last year - For personal reasons.

I grew up with the Beatles.
My ma gave me all her old albums when I was four, along with a record player.
One of those albums that ended up changing my life, was 'Beatles 65'.
Still one of my favorite albums.

Fav. songs off of it are - 'Mr. Moonlight' & Ringo doing Carl Perkins' 'Honey Don't'!
LOVE those cuts most, though the rest on that album are good too :D

Still have a soft spot for the very first Beatle song I ever heard - 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' - By The Liverpool Beats!
Another of my ma's albums.... The story was, that Grams went out to buy my ma a Beatles album.... 'I wanna' was the hit, she saw it on that album and bought it thinking it was the Beatles - LOL!
That album accidentally melted on my dresser cos I left it out on a sunny day.... I was Three

'Don't Let Me Down' and 'Dig a Pony' are also quite INCREDIBLE!
Again - LENNON!

'Tomorrow Never Knows' - Lennon again.... Love Ringo's drumming!
It's the same beat thru the whole song, though it doesn't seem to be looped.... I think he's playing it the whole way.

OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... 'RAIN'!
LOVE THAT SONG!
Lennon's genius yet again.... The off timings of the guitar, Ringo.... The tuba like bass part 8)
Too cool!

'Nowhere Man' and 'Ticket to Ride' - more favs from my childhood (After I started to buy Beatle albums).
(Lennon's songs)

And 'In My Life' - a sad/sweet Lennon song.

And 'Blackbird' - Probably one of the only McCartney songs I like.... (He was in that band, wasn't he????)
It's another 'for personal reasons' one.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Far too many to count.....but if you push me into a corner, I'll pick.....

1 - In My Life - been my favourite Beatles song since the first time I heard it, probably always will be.

2 - You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - always been a favourite, no matter how my tastes have changed over the years; it was also the first song I played at the very first open mic I ever did!

3 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - one of the few tracks I like off the double white album, and probably my favourite riff to play on acoustic guitar.

4 - Norwegian Wood - it's the sitar that makes this song for me, I'd never heard anything like it before. Another one I love to play on the acoustic

5 - Help - one of the all-time great pop singles, still love the film too!

6 - Ticket To Ride - always reminds me of a family holiday on the Isle of Wight when I was a kid; we saw a bus going past, destination "Ryde" - I asked my dad could we catch it because I wanted a ticket to Ryde. Probably the first in a very long line of bad puns!

7 - And Your Bird Can Sing - probably my all time favourite lead guitar riff.

8 - Hard Day's Night - well, come on, how many songs do you know that virtually an entire generation can recognise from the opening chord! "I'll name that tune in ONE!"

9 - If I Fell - don't know what is is about this one, it's kind of melancholy yet upbeat at the same time.

10 - Strawberry Fields Forever - the first time I heard it, I wondered what the hell it was - I'd never heard anything like it before. Not many people had!

Favourite LP's an easy one - always has been, and always will be, Revolver - with Rubber Soul a close second, and an honourable mention for the 62-66 and 67-70 compilation albums. Just keep that double white album away from me!

Oh, and if you haven't already heard it, check out Kathy Reichert's "Jack MacKenzie" - not a Beatles song, but definitely inspired by one!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I love playing "I'm Only Sleeping" , "Sexy Sadie" and I'm So tired" acoustically.....

But all time favourite... too hard LOL !

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I didn't figure Vic could come up with anything.

I've always been most fond of Nowhere Man, due to the bass line. That just rocks!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@crazyhorse)
Eminent Member

"here comes the sun " , " while my guitar gently weeps " and " Something " are my favourites !
In fact apart from Harrison 's songs , I'm not a Beatles fan . :?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

good question and difficult to answer. all the songs posted so far are favs.
Lennon and Harrison songs get top billing in my house.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Member Moderator

Nowhere Man, Sgt Pepper, and Get Back, methinks. Lots of others, but these have to be top of the pile.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I have no good answer. It is like you asked "What kind of air to you like to breath the most?"

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

1) The Abbey Road medley (which I listen to as one song or suite) "Because - You Never Give My Your Money - Sun King - Mean Mr. Mustard - Polythene Pam - She Came in Through the Bathroom Window - Golden Slumbers - Carry That Weight - End - Her Majesty"

2) I Am The Walrus

3) While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I don't know how to rank the rest. Basically almost everything from Rubber Soul on is top notch (and the songs before it although not as advanced certainly were no slouches)

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Hello Goodbye and Day Tripper.
I have no deep philosophical reason for it. They are just songs that once I hear, I keep humming them all day long.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I haven't seen anyone mention Hey Bulldog. It's a great little tune that IIRC they wrote on the spur of the moment for the Yellow Submarine album.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2