Clear all

favorite concert DVD?

19 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So what is everyone's favorite concert DVD? I have a ton that i really like, and some that are really just crap. I love my U2 dvds, of course, but i have one particular DVD that just stands apart from any dvd i've seen or own...

Ani DiFranco - Trust

it's just ani and her bassist, and it's just great. good editing, good sound...it's one of the only DVDs i can actually just sit there and watch and not have my ADHD kick in. not only that but it inspires me to pick up my guitar and see what awesome sounds i can coax out of it like Ani does. she's a truly unique musician and this dvd is a work of musical art.

so, thoughts?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

it's one of the only DVDs i can actually just sit there and watch and not have my ADHD kick in.

I hear ya on that one!!! :x ADHD SUCKS! :evil:

Anyhow, SRV's Live at Montreux (1982 & 1985), SRV Live Austin, Texas and DMB's The Central Park Concert.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

'Floyd's Pulse.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

I haven't seen too many concerts on tape/dvd. The few I have I really enjoyed like U2 Rattle and Hum.
And also I think it is one of those you mentioned Mike. SRV Live at Montruex. I'm not sure which year it was. I saw it on DirectTV about 6 months ago. They mentioned how SRV and Double Trouble were booed off the stage a year earlier and just blew them away this time. Awesome video. I think I watched it about 4 times. After the first time my wife complained that I was watching the same thing over and over. I was just mezmerized by his playing style. Wish I could have seen him live. :(
The only other one that I really remember making an impression on me was the Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival.
I did see Floyds The Wall but I don't think that qualifies for this discussion. I was in an altered state at that time too so I uh...............really don't remember much of it :? Kids :roll:

I will definately check out Ani Defranco.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

They mentioned how SRV and Double Trouble were booed off the stage a year earlier and just blew them away this time.

That is the same DVD. In '82 he was booed because 1) nobody knew of him and 2) it was a jazz festival that was all acoustic sets and SRV with Double Trouble came out lightin' it up! :lol:

The second disk ('85) EVERYONE loved him. :D

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

My favorite(s) are Roger Waters: The Wall Live In Berlin and Pink Floyd: Live from Pompeii(?).

I also have Eric Clapton & Friends In Concert: A Benefit for the Crossroads Centre at Antigua, Megadeth: Rude Awakening, Kittie: Spit In Your Eye, and Steve Vai: Live at the Astoria London.

Megadeth and Steve Vai are my only dvds.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Haven't got a lot of DVD'd yet - I'm technologically challenged, and the sheer volume of wire in my living room could probably stretch around the world twice....

But I have a lot of good stuff on VHS.....

Neil Young unplugged
Page & Plant Unleaded
Stones - Voodoo Lounge tour, Rock'n'Roll Circus, Stripped
Led Zep - can't actually see a title, even with reading glasses on, but features live appearances at Royal Albert Hall 1970, MSG 73, Earls Court 75n and Knebworth '79....two discs....

And the Status Quo - XS all areas - DVD features promos, TOTP appearances, and quite a few live clips....

And if Santa's coming this way this year, any such thing as a John Fogerty/CCR Live DVD?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Do not have too many

Does 'A hard days night' qualify? ... Probably not, but it's good though :)

I also have one clip of Dylan playing Isis during his Rolling Thunder Tour in '75 - makes shiver each time I see it.

Ah - and off course, I nearly forgot - 'Last Waltz'!
Fantastic - with Clapton dropping his guitar during a solo and everything

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

Deep End ~ Gov't Mule, concert after Allen Woody died, so many fantastic bass players jamming w/ Warren and Mat, really great stuff.

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

The Last Waltz, The Band. Awesome band, Awesome guests (Muddy Waters). Never gets old (to me)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Live Peace in Toronto, aka Sweet Toronto

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

How could I forget that one! Today of all days!!!

(Out of sight, out of mind - it's in the bedroom DVD player, which is disconnected at the moment...only one SCART socket in the back of the bedroom TV, and that's reserved for Cable TV....)

Travelling to Texas in June....seemed like I was born on that plane by the time we finally arrived....I'd completely forgotten I had the "Live Peace" DVD in the laptop....found it on the plane, beats I Robot ANY day of the week....kept me going for a couple of hours anyway....

Oh was I grateful for those free airline headphones!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Nothing original from me, Metallica S&M is my favourite DVD.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Birelli Lagrene and Friends -- Gypsy Project

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Just a great DVD. DTS sound, good lighting and great performances.

AC/DC - Live at Donnington is a great concert DVD as well.

I have others, but those two get watched the most.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2