Clear all

Favorite fairly obscure guitar player

114 Posts
59 Users
0 Likes
20 K Views
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

oh yes...you can find Cucurullo, Terry & Dale Bozzio (the core of Missing Persons) altogether in Zappa's Joe Garage Part I,II and III

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

...and Steve Vai was almost always credited as 'impossible guitar' player in Zappa's albums. ( I don't know why ;) )

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Ha, and then I read that he transcribed Frank's tunes so they could send them in for copyright or whatever, and that made me go 'wow.'

Then I read where he transcribed Frank's talk/sing vocal on Dangerous Kitchen and then played it as written, and it was even more impressive.

Still, no big hits for Stevie. Amazing player.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Here's is the Dangerous Kitchen, sadly without Vai...but imagine Steve playing in unison with the Zappa talk. Just for the curious it is in Zappa' Man from Utopia'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8n43kQPwbY

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Justin King, but after some of his videos were posted here most of you have probably heard of him by now.

If you're going to mention Justin...... you've GOT to mention his daugher, Kaki King.............. amazing in her own right!

That's crazy! I didn't know that Justin King was the father of Kaki King! I've heard both and they are terrific. Kaki has such an aggressive style. She is just amazing.

Ya Leo Kottke is a "fairly obscure" guitar player. Maybe, I'm wrong. Unless you worked in a music store, or play guitar, then you probably would never have heard of him. I dunno.

Bruce Cockburn. (I challenge a non-Canadian to identify this guitarist without doing a google search...)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

warren DeMartini

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Justin King, but after some of his videos were posted here most of you have probably heard of him by now.

If you're going to mention Justin...... you've GOT to mention his daugher, Kaki King.............. amazing in her own right!

That's crazy! I didn't know that Justin King was the father of Kaki King! I've heard both and they are terrific. Kaki has such an aggressive style. She is just amazing.

Ya Leo Kottke is a "fairly obscure" guitar player. Maybe, I'm wrong. Unless you worked in a music store, or play guitar, then you probably would never have heard of him. I dunno.

Bruce Cockburn. (I challenge a non-Canadian to identify this guitarist without doing a google search...)
''If I had a rocket launcher ... " Some of us yanks know aboot Bruce.

I've known a number of non-guitarists who know and dig Leo Kottke.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well then, Justin King has posted on this board and over on the Guitar Player board, as Kaki's proud papa letting us know when she was going to be on TV and such.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I forgot Jerry Cantrell from Alice in Chains.

And J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr.:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8