Clear all

Favorite influenced guitarists.

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I guess I have way too many influences on guitar,so I'll pick two or three to start out with. One of my first influence was Neil Young.Without listening to him I may have never took up the guitar.In my young mind,I thought in order to be a good guitarist you had to know every chord there was.I started out on a old Conn acoustic with medium gauge strings and played Neil's songs,Heart of Gold,Old Man,were the first ones I learned.When I got into electric guitars,I got into Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn.SRV was such an influence I even stringed my guitar to the same gauge he used.After nearly ripping the flesh off my finger tips,I changed back! Without hearning guys like SRV,Eric Clapton,and George Harrison,I might have never played lead,pithy as it is.Who influenced you to play? While I didn't copy their style per se,I found that I could play the blues and other type leads,with knowing only a few scales.How about yourself?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

my brother played a lot when i was a teenager. one day, i walked into the room and he was playing and it was like the air was different. heavier, and darker. it was frightening. i had no idea what it was, but i knew i'd be playing the guitar from then on.

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

For me...

YouTube artist: Jawmunji
http://www.youtube.com/user/jawmunj

Definitely the most influential guitar player ever for me... motivated me at the beginning to take up fingerstyle, and keeps me motivated to this day.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

For me, it's hard to say which guitarist influenced me the most - I've been listening to music since the Beatles were just starting out, and I've always loved guitar-based and guitar-dominated music. I can think of lots of people who I've been influenced by - but they're as diverse as Dylan, Hank Marvin, Manny (Nazareth - my fave band of the early 70's) Charlton, Marc Bolan, Mark Knopfler, Page, Santana, Ry Cooder, Joni Mitchell, George Thorogood, Frank & Rick from Status Quo, and Keith Richards. If I had to distill it down to the bare essence of what I write, then the biggest influences would be Keef (especially in open tunings,) Dylan and JP.

But then again - I think every piece of music I've ever enjoyed has had some influence on me!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yes, Neil Young, and 'round the same time John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot. Before that Buddy Holly and John Lennon. Always liked Angus Young and Billy Gibbons for their swagger, and performance. I'm probably one of the few who really likes Keef too. What a solid rock, and a master of the guitar man! His skill is in being able to drive a whole band and creating a unique and lasting sound for 50 years, never losing it or throwing in the towel, not in being a virtuoso. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

But then again - I think every piece of music I've ever enjoyed has had some influence on me!

Vic

I have to agree. I'm not sure I could pick 1 or 2 musicians. Everyone had an impact. In the 70s, each time I saw a musician on TV or went to a concert, I thought to myself, "Man...I HAVE to do this".

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Vic

I have to agree. I'm not sure I could pick 1 or 2 musicians. Everyone had an impact. In the 70s, each time I saw a musician on TV or went to a concert, I thought to myself, "Man...I HAVE to do this".

Well I did have to narrow it down.Just about anybody who has picked up a guitar has been a influence to me.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Difficult to answer. My girlfriend says I'm very impressionable and surely she is right. Clapton, Knopfler, Hendrix, Beck, the three Kings, the two Vaughans, Buddy Guy, Page, Gilmour, Metheny, Benson, and many more.

On the bass side, James Jamerson, Willie Weeks, Jack Bruce, Sting, Roger Waters, Marcus Miller, Aston Barrett...

Since I play the bass you know I am rediscovering many songs. I am amazed by a musician the last year. I was not a big fan of The Beatles, I like their music but I never I listened it with enough attention. Thus, if I must choose just one name I'd say Paul McCartney. I discover new things every time I listen him.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ifluenced ....... Not how much I like them but how much they shaped my sound. Right?

Ace Frehley
Tony Iiomi
Ted Nugent

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Michael Hedges.....first time I had heard or seen anything like him.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

WHAT??? NUNO...You did not list Jaco Pastorius ¿ Por quá?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@kaspen)
Trusted Member

Most important for me; Eddie Van Halen. Listened to Eruption as a kid, thinking it was what I wanted to do.

Second most important; Dimebag. He made me rediscover the guitar at the age of 14.

Third most important; Frank Gambale. Showed me the beauty of altered sounds and interesting chord progressions.

These are not the ones I listen to now though.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

WHAT??? NUNO...You did not list Jaco Pastorius ¿ Por quá?
LOL!

What a mistake! The "greatest bass player in the world"!

His Portrait of Tracy, with Weather Report, one of my favorite DVDs.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

In no particular order:

1. Billy Gibbons

2. Billie Joe Armstrong

3. C.C. Deville and Bret Michaels

4. Johnny Ramone

5. Jerry Reed (I wish I can play like him...even in my dreams...)

Great Guitarists and musicians! :D

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

LOL!

What a mistake! The "greatest bass player in the world"!

His Portrait of Tracy, with Weather Report, one of my favorite DVDs.

He was awesome. Weather Report is one of my favorites too!

ReplyQuote