Notifications
Clear all

Favourite Movies about musicians and Bands

34 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Not a darn thing. I was just joking with the 'duck and cover'. Prince takes his fair share of slagging on GN and I was playing off that.
I'm pretty sure I saw Purple Rain the weekend it opened and it's still a favourite.
Never saw 'Under the Cherry Moon' though.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Purple Rain gives me the shivers; not in a good way.
back in the 80's when I was living in my studio (warehouse loft..illegally) the girl next door (our walls were thin sheetrock) put Purple Rain on the record player. it played all afternoon. it was ok as I was making a lot of noise too.
that evening goingto bed I still could here that album playing. I realized she had left the building; the repeat arm on the phono was broken or something, as the whole album played over and over again. all night long it played. all the next day it played. all the next hnight it played. I tried breaking her door down. no avail.
so after two days of hearing Purple Rain I can't stand it. Prince himself took fallout for years too. I am now justing tolerating him.
ew...Purple Rain...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

School of Rock.

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

Ray, Walk the Line, This is Spinal Tap, The Wall, Purple Rain

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

With all the Dylan fans on the board I'm surprised no one has mentioned "I'm Not There" yet. What an interesting film.

As far as 'fictional' films go:
The Doors is great, but I wish there was more band interaction...
Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny!!!!
Almost Famous is OK. I should really watch it again.

And for Documentaries and Concert films:
Monterrey Pop
Don't Look Back
Last Waltz
Shine a Light
and my favorite: Stop Making Sense

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Crossroads - terrible plot & acting, but the blues music in it was outstanding. Ry Cooder did most of the guitar work and a young Steve Vai appeared in it. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QKbnCDW94

David Gilmour - Remember That Night - it is an OUTSTANDING concert, shot in Royal Albert Hall. The man is a master, lots of guests and a great band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0Pl80Zf00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZEaz3n5OY

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

Walk the Line would be up there for me too. I liked Ray also. Loved Almost Famous. It's one of those movies I can never turn off when I flip by it. School of Rock is one of my kids favorites. I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned, so I'll add a fairly obscure British film - Soul Survivors. It starred Ian McShane (you probably know him best from "Deadwood") as a Soul DJ called Otis Cooke (groan) who put a fictional 60's soul band -The Tallahassees -back together. The band actually consisted of Isaac Hayes, Al Matthews, Antonio Fargas (best known as Huggy Bear from the Starsky and Hutch series - but he has a truly AMAZING sweet falsetto!) and Taurean Blacque (you might remember him as Detective Neil Washington in Hill Street Blues) and I think Hayes and Matthews wrote the music.

One song in particular stood out - a 60's soul parody (the fictional band's only hit, and McShane/Cooke's favourite record) called "Picking Up The Pieces." Unfortunately, I can't find anyclips whatsoever on Youtube, so I'll have to see if I can upload one, which is going to be complicated - I have a copy of the film on VHS......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

Pick of Destiny is strange, but at the same time good.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Spinal Tap, what a classic...I wouldn't buy an amp now unless it goes to 11. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

When The Wall came out in the early 80s, my friends and I thought it to be a good idea to eat some mushrooms and go see the movie. Not a "good idea". Although I've just recently gotten over some of the nightmares from that stroke of genius, I still consider that movie one of my favs. :lol: (Hey, I never said I was intelligent)

Loved Ray...thought Jamie Fox was brilliant in it.
Pick of Destiny- too funny!
Spinal Tap-Loved it.

What was that movie...had Brendon Frasier in it. He was in a band, they were trying to get their demo tape played on the radio and ended up holding the entire radio staion hostage....can't remember the name of it..
Anyways, one of the good lines from the movie, "Ok, if Lemmy and God had a fight, who would win?" guy answers...and Brendon's character replies...."A HA! that was a trick question...Lemmy IS GOD!" too funny :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

What was that movie...had Brendon Frasier in it. He was in a band, they were trying to get their demo tape played on the radio and ended up holding the entire radio staion hostage....can't remember the name of it..
Anyways, one of the good lines from the movie, "Ok, if Lemmy and God had a fight, who would win?" guy answers...and Brendon's character replies...."A HA! that was a trick question...Lemmy IS GOD!" too funny

I think you mean "Airheads" - also starred the great Steve Buscemi. I think Adam Sandler was in it as well. Very funny film - I forgot about that one! Thanks for the memory jog, Matt!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Good thread!!

My favourites:

"The Glen Miller Story"
"Hard Days Night"
"Ferry Cross The Mersey"
"The Committments"
and, for pure fun the end sequence in "Back To The Future" with Michael J Fox doing that brilliant Chuck Berry number "Johnny B Goode"

Also TV films:
"Crocodile Shoes" a Jimmy Nail classic.
and there was another which I can't remember the title of but the fictional band in it were called "Strange Fruit" and it starred Bill Nyhe and Billy Connolly in a story about a burnt out band late 60's/70's going back on the road.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

and there was another which I can't remember the title of but the fictional band in it were called "Strange Fruit" and it starred Bill Nyhe and Billy Connolly in a story about a burnt out band late 60's/70's going back on the road.

That'd be "Still Crazy" - also starring Jimmy Nail and Timothy Spall.

In a similar vein was "Hunting Venus" - an 80's New Romantic band getting back together. That one featured Martin Clunes, Neil Morrisey and Jane Horrocks.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think i remember that "Still Crazy", No one else has said anything about backbeat??? Has anyone seen Shine a light yet?

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3