Feeling the blues

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I am trying to come up with a list of blues songs to record. I have a good portion of that list but I am trying to think of a few songs that you wouldnt traditionally call blues, but they kind of have that blues feeling. I guess an example of what I am talking about is "She Talks To Angels" by Black Crowes.

Another good one I found was "I Got The Blues" The Rolling Stones.

Can anyone else think of any others in that vein?

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

She Talks to Angels is found on The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. A great tune on that album (CD) is Sometimes Salvation that fits the Blues structure and feel. I'm looking past the vocals and just listening to the instruments (although I really dig the vocals). If I work real hard I can even hear the potential for an acoustic blues for solo guitar with a more mellow vocal hiding in there.

Funny, I've listened to that track hundreds of times and just noticed the acoustic track potential when giving it a re-listen when writing this post. :idea:

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I was listening to the radio the other day and Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby Mcgee" came on and I instantly thought to myself how much of a blues-almost-country-kind of feel to it (besides reminding myself how her vocals still give me goose bumps). Then again, I'm only starting to listen to blues music so I can hardly claim to have a great ear for it.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

A great tune on that album (CD) is Sometimes Salvation that fits the Blues structure and feel.

oOo I like it!!
Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby Mcgee" came on

Not sure if I can make that work for this but its a great example of what I am looking for. However, it did make me think of "Signs" and also that I need to check out some Bob Dylan.

Thanks
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

... A great tune on that album (CD) is Sometimes Salvation that fits the Blues structure and feel. I'm looking past the vocals and just listening to the instruments (although I really dig the vocals). If I work real hard I can even hear the potential for an acoustic blues for solo guitar with a more mellow vocal hiding in there....

Most of the Black Crowes songs will fit this category. I've been playing Sometimes Salvation on my acoustic for a little while now and I love it. Here are a few other tunes I do on acoustic, that I would suggest (off the top of my head):

Black Crowes-Seeing Things for the First Time (definitely a blues format)
-Remedy
-Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye

John Mayer
-In Repair

Blues Traveler
-Carolina

Aerosmith
- Refer Headed Woman

Not a blues format but a REAL GOOD acoustic song...Rickie Lee Jones- Last Chance Texaco
Here's a link to the song

(edit:) Hey...Shouldn't this be a standard sticky list for all GN Members to see? If everyone contributed, the list could be quite impressive!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

how about some torch songs. two of my favorite Ella Fitzgerald songs are ,' Black Coffee' and 'Love for Sale'.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

how about some torch songs. two of my favorite Ella Fitzgerald songs are ,' Black Coffee' and 'Love for Sale'.

Never heard any of that. Have to check it out.

Also, while I was catching up on the thread thought about "Meet Virginia"

Jim

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Not a blues format but a REAL GOOD acoustic song...Rickie Lee Jones- Last Chance Texaco
Here's a link to the song

(edit:) Hey...Shouldn't this be a standard sticky list for all GN Members to see? If everyone contributed, the list could be quite impressive!!!
Like that Rickie song

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hey Jim, this is old stuff, but it is great.

Go back and listen to old Canned Heat. They were awesome. :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm4MXwrXXgo

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

+1 on Canned Heat and on Ella Fitzgerald :D

Maybe also "Aint No Sunshine" (Bill Withers, I think, although loads have covered it), "As The Crow Flies" (Rory Gallagher), "The Weight" (The Band), "Not Dark Yet" (Bob Dylan).

If I think of any others, I'll post them.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yup, I Got The Blues by the Stones is a good one. I like Love In Vain better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEq1Xho1h3Q (ronnie's slide work is good later in the video) ,and it might be a small stretch, but Sweet Virginia is another good one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-Qzze9iGk Some people call this Folk, but it's gotta have some blues influence?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Oh, you could also do Angel From Montgomery by John Prine, covered by Bonnie Raitt and Susan Tedeschi (and numerous others, no doubt).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks guys. Naming off a bunch I hadnt heard of. I think I have heard Angel from Montgomery but I am not recollecting it at the moment. I'll have a listen when I get home. I had seen your messages last night but me and the misus was deep in Margarittaville last night. It was a nice trip there and back.

I never had gotten into the Stones much but I have listened to quite a bit lately and really have begun to like them. I could do nothing but Black Crowes and be pleased as punch but now that I have been given so many samples to listen to, of stuff I have never heard, I kind of want to do that... Last night I learnt "Meet Virginia" by Train. I know its not what one would consider traditionally a blues song.. but its got some bluesy movement in it that I really like.

I think the funest part of this project will be when I finally start recording and see how I can make each song recognizable but with a heavy dose of me in it.

I am excited.

Jim

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Last night I learnt "Meet Virginia" by Train. I know its not what one would consider traditionally a blues song.. but its got some bluesy movement in it that I really like.

WELL, on a quick trip to the restroom and singing this in my head.. there really isnt an ounce of blues in it other than maybe the style that the guy sings on it. Not sure what I was thinking about. Might have to leave it out.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

If' you're into Train, why not try the song Mississippi from their 2nd(?) album?
It's a real mellow tune. I always thought it would make a good song for "one guy and his acoustic guitar" kinda thang. Although it does have a driving bassline that carries the song, I could see it working.
...WELL, on a quick trip to the restroom and singing this in my head.. there really isnt an ounce of blues in it other than maybe the style that the guy sings on it. Not sure what I was thinking about. Might have to leave it out.
Jim

Why would that matter? Its a good tune..if you like it then go with it. So it does not have a I IV V progression...so what? I say , if you're feelin it, go with it man!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2