Fender Mustang II vs Roland Cube 40XL

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
11.6 K Views
(@kryogenik)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Right now I have a Marshall MG10CD amp. Its only 10 watts, and it all it has is overdrive, volume, gain and contour (whatever that is). I've been looking for a more powerful amp with more effects options and better sound, and I've narrowed it down to the Fender Mustang II and the Roland Cube 40XL. I mostly play classic and hard rock, with some blues and other stuff. Do you guys have any experience with these amps? If so, which do you think is best? Thanks for any help.

(@alangreen)

Contour control - turn it all the way to the left for an American fuzzy sound; all the way to the right for a British crunchy sound.

I'm not making it up, I got it from Total Guitar magazine

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm behind the times now. I have not looked at the new Fender Mustangs. I've been pretty satisfied with my three or four set ups I have now. I will say that in years past, many have liked the Roland Cube 30X. Lots of different tones with that. I really like a clean fender amp, though, so I kept it instead of the Roland. For the hard stuff, though, the Roland was quite amazing for getting that thick, new heavy metal sound really easily.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I mostly play classic and hard rock, with some blues and other stuff.

Sounds pretty much like the same music I play - and I use a Cube 30X. I can get virtually any tone on it from an acoustic guitar model to a rectifier amp, and often do! A similar amp, similar price range, would be the Vox AD30VT - here's a link to a review.
http://www.betterguitar.com/equipment/amplifiers/vox/ad30vtreview.html

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I'd go for the CUBE. I have a 20X now, and was thinking of upsizing, tried a Fender Mustang especially to match my new Mustang Tele or to go with a Shelby Strat, which I don't have. The bigger one didn't compare to my little Roland 20X, so there's no need IMO. But you still need to make a purchase, so I think that the Roland takes the cake.

Just FYI, I would consider a Cube 40 myself, but my GDEC 30 is the next amp in the size graduations so don't need it, or Mustang. I also noted that the Mustang is made poorly and cheaply, or it looks and feels that way, not as good as Squier and far from being a Roland. I'm sure you want a modelling amp with FX and that's why there's so much value in these new thangs, especially if done tastefully, and with all good quality and sounds, and a better build like Roland. For pure amp alone, I consider my Blues Junior 15 watt to be bigger in every way, higher on the scale of volume and moving air, and responds well to effects in front, but you'd need a lot of effects or a multi FX.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I had a Marshall 15 watt, similar to your amp. I didn't like it and I gave it to a friend.

No experience with the Mustang (although I have a Fender now, I also like the clean Fender tone).

I was considering a Cube myself some months ago. Some people uses for clean jazzy tones. It seems it has a good clean tone. The effects are always interesting but you can also added them later.

ReplyQuote
 PITA
(@pita)

Right now I have a Marshall MG10CD amp. Its only 10 watts, and it all it has is overdrive, volume, gain and contour (whatever that is). I've been looking for a more powerful amp with more effects options and better sound, and I've narrowed it down to the Fender Mustang II and the Roland Cube 40XL. I mostly play classic and hard rock, with some blues and other stuff. Do you guys have any experience with these amps? If so, which do you think is best? Thanks for any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaCn2wgLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXSmBXylWQ

I don't have the personal experience to compare them myself, but I do have a Mustang III which I like quite a bit.

PITA

ReplyQuote