Clear all

Fender road worn series

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@lazysinger)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What do you guys think about the new series unveiled at Namm? Looks cool for sure.

For those who don't know (and I quote) :
Fender's new maple-fretboard Road Worn '50s Strat is designed to deliver that aged look and feel—built to look, sound and feel like it's got more than just a few miles on it.

Designed with 1950s specs, including a nitrocellulose-lacquer finish, and supercharged with Tex-Mexâ„¢ pickups and 6105 frets.

Pricing: $1200

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My personal opinion of all relics, road-worn, faded models, etc.: Yuck! I'll wear my own, thank you very much. And slowly, because I try to take care of my gear. And paying EXTRA for fake wear? You've got to be kidding! I'd demand a discount because it's a blem.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My personal opinion of all relics, road-worn, faded models, etc.: Yuck! I'll wear my own, thank you very much. And slowly, because I try to take care of my gear. And paying EXTRA for fake wear? You've got to be kidding! I'd demand a discount because it's a blem.

but ... but ... these are quality controlled blems.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I suppose it keeps blemishers employed.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's called art!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

now that's resume eycatcher:

Senior Blemish Manager
Fender Musical Instruments, Corona California
Managed the simulated aging of over 14,000 guitars per year. Trained and managed skilled personnel in the use of high tech production machinery including, the Beltbuckle Rasher, the Townshend Amp Whacker, the AuntieHiditintheAttic SloCooker, the Timex BoutScraper, the Marlboro SloCoolBurner, the KickedOfftheFloorstander, the FellOfftheWallHanger and the LittleBrother/Roadyizer.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmmmm, no fire experience then, Mr Gnease?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget the corrosion techs and the pick scratchers.

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I just figured this was a creative way to say "refurbished". :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

as you guys have latched onto the idea, my work here is done.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Marketing Genius!
now they can once more get full price for guitars that have been returned because of flaws, dings, etc.
makes me proud to be a capitalist!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

All I know is, if I meet you and you've got a guitar that looks like that, my first thought will be "Wow, he's played forever! He must be AMAZINGLY good!"

So if you can't live up to that I probably wouldn't bother, and if you can live up to that, nobody's going to laugh at you for having a nice shiny guitar.

I did see some of the Road Worn guitars at Guitar Center, and I was impressed with the craftsmanship. They felt like a weird combination of "very used" and "brand new". (For example, the frets and bridges are perfect, and the finish might be worn but it isn't dirty.) Kind of cool in a stonewashed-jeans sort of way, but not my cup of tea.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

More discussion on this topic here: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42882

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

All I know is, if I meet you and you've got a guitar that looks like that, my first thought will be "Wow, he's played forever! He must be AMAZINGLY good!"

So if you can't live up to that I probably wouldn't bother, and if you can live up to that, nobody's going to laugh at you for having a nice shiny guitar.

I did see some of the Road Worn guitars at Guitar Center, and I was impressed with the craftsmanship. They felt like a weird combination of "very used" and "brand new". (For example, the frets and bridges are perfect, and the finish might be worn but it isn't dirty.) Kind of cool in a stonewashed-jeans sort of way, but not my cup of tea.

learned a long time ago never to prejudge a player's skill by the guitar (s)he is holding -- weak correlation. I'll wait for the playing.

but that doesn't mean I don't like cool guitars ....

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Just out of interest, are they american?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2