Skip to content
fender strat - anot...

Notifications
Clear all

fender strat - another dreaded buying question...

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I am a longtime member, avid reader, rare poster. I hope you can offer advice. I am looking to buy a fender strat.
My budget is $1800. I have been searching around, initially I wanted an older model (70s) and was checking ebay fanatically and going to guitar stores looking. But, the ones that didn't have the finish mangled were above my budget.
Should I not worry about the finish and just buy a great playing guitar? How much is it to have the finish redone, and does that effect the value of the guitar since it's not in its original state?

Now I have decided to buy a new one (this morning I woke up with this bright idea). After doing a couple hours of online research I am perplexed. Fender now has the 60th anniversary guitar, the american, the american deluxe, the 57 american vingtage, the 62 american vintage....etc... In your opinion which one is better? I know I'll have to go and play them but I am curious as to what knowledgable musician's would get in my case. Is older really better? A couple of days ago I found a guy in my area with a nice 75 strat, but again it was out of my range $2700. Should I just keep saving up? I want to kick myself. I was gonna get a reissue in the 80s but was undecided now I see those going for a couple of thousand on ebay. :( It's really more for me to play and enjoy, but I would like to get something that will appreciate too.

Thanks

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't pay several thousand $$$ for a vintage Strat. The cost are pushed up by collectors. Sure, they sound great, but so do new Strats, if you get the right one for you! You can get a really nice, brand new Strat for much less. The only person who will appreciate a vintage Strat will be another musician -maybe. Nobody else will care!

Personally, I like several models. I own a 2004 50th anniversary Strat. I picked it up in a pawn shop for $600! They had no idea what a great guitar it is - sounds so sweet! If I were out looking for a really sweet sounding Strat, I might consider the Eric Johnson model. It is on the high side of prices for a new Strat, but sounds great:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Eric-Johnson-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511311

Or, the Fender 60th anniversary Strat, which is very similar to mine. It also boasts "vintage" pickups:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-60th-Anniversary-Commemorative-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517893

But, if you really want the feel of a 70s Strat, how about this reissue? It is much more affordable than a 70s Strat:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-USA-70s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517895

All are great guitars. Find the one that is right for you!

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you CFB, very good points. I got interested in the older models because the few I have played just felt better to me. But now that I am interested in the new ones I will go and try some of those and report back. I guess what I should have said is spending that amount of money on a guitar is a lot for me so I would like to think of it as an investment as well. So I need to think like a collector, even tho I really just want a great playing and sounding guitar. Thanks again you gave me a lot to think about.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Thank you CFB, very good points. I got interested in the older models because the few I have played just felt better to me. But now that I am interested in the new ones I will go and try some of those and report back. I guess what I should have said is spending that amount of money on a guitar is a lot for me so I would like to think of it as an investment as well. So I need to think like a collector, even tho I really just want a great playing and sounding guitar. Thanks again you gave me a lot to think about.

If you are buying as a collector then you will be reducing the value every time you play it as you will leave scratches, dings etc on it (or at least risk doing so), just buy a guitar you like playing, look after it andf who knows what it might be worth in 30 years

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

The 70s models, though expensive now, are still hugely underrated. I have a '78, and I can honestly say (and this from a man who played a '58 for years) I've never had a guitar to touch it. I've only played one or two that came anywhere near. I was looking on eBay UK recently, and the price I'd have to pay now would turn my hair grey if it weren't that way already ;-)

I do second the recommendation on the 70's reissue. It has that lovely U-section neck (incredibly comfortable - never a cramp on the longest sessions) and the vintage (read low/wide) frets. Bridge isn't up to the USA DL (but then my '78's isn't either) but the micro-tilt neck is as good as the original, I think. Pickups pretty darn close - in pairs they're dead on, I just don't think the neck alone has quite the bell like ring of the authentic item, but maybe that's me.

IMHO go for the maple neck - the 70's one-piece maple is probably the fastest neck Fender have made. Well it is for my hands, anyway - and so sensitive and subtle on legato passages.

You can do it within your buget - and IMHO they're an absolute bargain!

Good luck!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@mimifox)
Eminent Member

you should maybe check out http://www.fareastguitars.com

Mimi

ReplyQuote
(@teegee420)
Trusted Member

you should maybe check out http://www.fareastguitars.com I beieve this is the correct link: http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

THank you all so much for your replies. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi There,

So here is a little update. I have been playing them and playing them and I have narrowed it down to the eric johnson strat and the custom shop 57 reissue. I really LOVE both of them. I am leaning toward the EJ strat because it's more in my price range. The sales person said that the EJ strat will feel just as good to me as the custom shop strat once I break it in and that custom shop strats feel so good out the box cuz they are broken in a bit already. IS this true? Also, I read the comments that CFB posted for the EJ strat and I totally agree with the one guy that said the neck had a thick "gym floor" like finish. Someone posted that this goes away after lots of useage. Will it? It really is on thick. Thanks so much for all your help hopefully this thread will help someone else. These strats are nice as hell! :)

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

I'm not exactly sure how the neck is on the EJ strat, but the "gym floor" finish that your describing sounds similair to my (MIM) 70's reissue Strat. And for me the sticky-ness of the finish did not go away, however, I did get used to it after a few days/ weeks, and it plays fine. Good luck deciding!!

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

I guess for my 2 cents, personally I would prefer not to buy a signature series guitar. Besides the (true) cliche that you "need to find your own sound", I just don't think it is as cool to have a guitar with someone else's signature on it...

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What does MIM stand for? :?: I see this alot.

Jwish,

It's ok, I am uncool anyway. Thanks for your 2 cents tho.... let me give it back to you. :lol:
nah seriously, if you played this guitar you wouldn't care if it was a pee wee herman signature guitar. :P

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

MIM = Made in Mexico

alternatively

MIJ = Made in Japan

MIA = Chuck Norris movie :wink:

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Lol - fair enough.....I'll try and find something else to spend it on.

Back in the day I used to buy "Metro Gum" (chewing gum) for 2 cents a piece from the lolly shop. Wonder if it's still open?

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

lol. at chuck norris movie?

Anyway, I got this thing and I am in heaven! Seriously, you guys have to go play one. It's amazing. I'll post some licks when I get everything all setup to my computer.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! IT made a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

ReplyQuote