Clear all

Fingerpicking/Travis Book suggestions

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So in a recent thread I asked about switching to fingerstyle from flatpicking. I had a few suggestions but was wondering if anyone had any experience with a GOOD book for the beginning fingerstyle guitarist. I am soon going to be away from my computer for awhile and would like to buy a hard copy of something I can work on. To be honest I get easily sidetracked and the lessons on U tube etc seem to jump all over with no real building block approach. The two series recommended in the other thread were the Hal Leonard books Pumping Nylon. Any help greatly appreciated.
Robbie

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Robbie,

Review this thread, it could be useful for you. There is also a link in that thread with other books.

I was practicing with "Beyond..." and sometimes I use it for remembering some of the songs (they are pretty nice). It is more or less easy, I mean I needed many hours for some exercises but finally I can got them. Mark Hanson's books usually have very good reviews. He has several free songs in his site: http://www.accentonmusic.com/tab.html

Hope it helps!

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Nino thanx for the recommendations. I will check those out next week when I am in the city. My store may not have them but can order. Will also check out Amazon. Anybody else? As I said (or should have) a very basic book is really what I'm after as I find it very difficult at this stage looking at a tab and trying to work out fingerings etc. Seems these things are not intuitive for me.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I didn't say but the "Beyond..." book is very basic. It covers several fingerpicking substyles, the Travis is one of them. Hanson also wrote a basic book for Travis picking.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Cool! I just ordered 3 books of Amazon:
1. Beyond basics
2. The Art of Solo Fingerpicking
3. Beginning Fingerstyle Blues

That should last me for this winter and maybe next
Thanx for the help Nuno

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You are welcome! :D

I forgot the blues book! It is very good! It was in my list but then I started to practice with the bass.

You will get a lot of fun with those books!

ReplyQuote