Clear all

First bass?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I play guitar for my own amusement and have recently purchased a small collection of ones that I particularly like.

I would like to have a go at playing bass, but have never handled one and know nothing about playing them. Can anyone advise if there is a decent but inexpensive one that would be ok.

I have looked on the Epiphone website but there is nothing I like the look of, there is a squire (copy of the precision bass) for about £199, and a Mexican Fender Precision bass for £499. I also saw the Burns Marque bass at about £379, this looked the nicest. I don't know anything about other less well known makes and although I don't really fancy the make, there was a nice looking Yamaha in pearlescent red for about £300.

If anyone can offer any advice about the above, or any others I would be gratefull, I have tended to go for sound and looks with my 6 strings. Also, as I play by ear, how would I play bass, would I have to use tabs (I can't read music).

Thanks

Gary UK

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Check the suggestions in the forum "I'm looking for a new..."

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I purchased a Bass Value pack a year ago that included a Washburn 4 string bass, Washburn SS amp and a bunch of accessories. One accessory was an instructional DVD that really laid out the basics for learning to play bass and with good habits only.

For not knowing anything before hand, I still don't know a lot but know more than I did before I watched the vid. (did you follow that?)

For a starter, starter kits can be a value and advantage.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gary58)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is that combination available in the UK, and what sort of amp and cost was it?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Even if you don't want to buy from whichever companies it comes up with, Froogle (UK) will give you a good idea of what's available over here and for what price...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Is that combination available in the UK, and what sort of amp and cost was it?

Thanks

Wow, hope it wasn't a tease I put out there. It was from Musicians Friend and it was about a 15 watt amp. The entire kit was less than $300 USD. The bass I've used it for guess that bass riff and on some of my original noodling. For about $150 it is a nice starter bass guitar. The amp I use when I play small gigs (like church) and it works great for guitar or bass. ( I currently only use it out of house with guitar as I'm no where near ready to start playing songs with my bass yet.)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i have an Ibanez Soundgear bass that I got for $300US. It's a bottom of the line but it looks and sounds real nice.

ReplyQuote