first electric

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi again,

I've come to the conclusion I'm going to perservere with this guitar thing, which means I'm now tempted to get an electric too and I'm looking at strat-type guitars because, firstly, it's associated with a lot of the music I like (Hendrix, Clapton, Rory Gallagher, though most famous guitarists seem to have had one of everything), secondly they seem to be cheaper than similar models of Les Paul copies and lastly I want a trem to play with even if everything does go out of tune. After a bit of looking I thought the Yamaha Pacifica 112 might suit me (with a bridge humbucker maybe coming in useful if I want a more modern sound), but I've also noticed two models made by Vintage, who seem to get good reviews for their V100 LP copy:

V6 (and relic-ed V6 ICONs):
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Vintage/V6/10/1
Fairly straight strat copy with single coils.

VP6:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Vintage/VP6+Strat-Style/10/1
Interestingly looks like a Pacifica copy with the HSS configuration.

They come in a bit cheaper than the Yamaha, but are harder to find in shops to try out. There are a lot of reviews of the Yamaha out there, but not as much on the Vintage models, so has anyone tried them? I could probably get a new vintage for about the price the 112 would be second-hand and I'm the only person who's going to be listening to it most of the time. On the other hand, it seems more likely I'll need to get the Vintage set up and I'm getting it because I want an electric rather than to try out playing in general (otherwise I'd probably be looking at something more squarely beginner like the Pac. 012). Is there anything to add to this?

Thanks,
Ian
(Feeling the need to get an electric more keenly because my acoustic is currently being set up and I'm learning you shouldn't believe luthiers when they give you dates...)

(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Hi there!

I don't have any experience with the Vintage models, but I do own a Pacifica and it's one hell of an instrument for its price. It's very light, which is huge plus for me, and feels great due to the shape. Low action and a very smooth neck. The sound is also great in my opinion, but I'd have issues describing it. The tremolo bar is pretty much useless though, as your guitar's out of tune immediately if you use it. For the rest it's great in my opinion, and as good as you'll get for that price.

I'd just advise you to go to a store and check them out. You'll might think you're really not qualified to tell which one's good, but you'll feel which one's better suited. You might not be able to tell why, but that's my experience at least.

Pic related: It's a Yamaha Pacifica.

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice. I tried out the 112 earlier on today actually, at Digital Village, who I thought might have the Vintage too. Pretty sure I'd be happy with it, but still tempted by the V6 (especially as they seem to claim the tuning is stable with the vibrato).

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

definitely try a few out before you settle on one, because there's often a bit of variance in quality, even within the same model. the right guitar should feel and sound right in your hands.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I played a Vintage in a store. They are not bad guitars. I played several Pacifica and probably they are much better guitars.

Try before purchase.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hi again,

I've come to the conclusion I'm going to perservere with this guitar thing, which means I'm now tempted to get an electric too and I'm looking at strat-type guitars because

I feel that some of the best "bang for the buck" guitars around are the Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series guitars. Truly excellent fit and finish, great pickups, and decent electronic components. My stock CV 50's tele is my #1 gigging plank.

If I were in the market for another Strat, I'd make it a point to try this l'il beauty:
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303000505

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It seems finding V6's in shops is quite tricky, though lots of their SG and LP copies. Bearing Jason's advice in mind I've tried the 112 in a couple of places and was quite surprised to find that even I can tell the difference between supposedly identical guitars (made somewhat easier by a faulty tone control, but that's something you'd want to know). Was set on buying a new one, but unexpectedly won a speculative bid on eBay for a Pacifica, so will see how this plays out. Could still sell it on and go for a new one.

Not my first choice of colour though, so maybe a thread on re-painting is on the way. Thanks for all the advice.

(Moved? So this is where guitar recommendations go... some interesting threads. Will post in the right place next time.)

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Really should have followed this up sooner. Either the Pacificas are very well set up from the factory or I got lucky, because I ended up with one that plays quite nicely, some pictures in the gear thread. Arrived without a trem arm, but Chappell of Bond Street were able to sort me out.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I say that you need to get out there and try a few diferent brands, and styles... I started with a strat, and struggled a little... Then I picked up a LP, and some semi hollow guitars, and they felt SOOOO much nicer to me. They just "fit" me better. I ended up buying a real nice sounding Epiphone LP and havent looked back. Every person is diferent, so what works for one, does not work as well for others.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

Regarding "cheaper"...

What's more important to you, getting the guitar that fits you or the money you saved buying the guitar that didn't?

If money is THAT MUCH of an issue, it's worth saving the few dollars more and getting something that really fits. It might take longer, and while you might have to wait 3-4 months for the gratification, you'll more than make up for it in the YEARS of playing enjoyment from doing so.

My vote for Strat's are G&L Legacy's even Tributes are great, simply have a pro set up done at your local trusted shop, and you'll be set for years to come.

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Is it really that necessary to have a top of the line guitar to enjoy playing it? When making any large purchase I think it's pretty sensible to ask yourself what it's appropriate to spend and fortunately I'm happy so far with what I've ended up with.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Is it really that necessary to have a top of the line guitar to enjoy playing it?

Nope! At least not in my opinion. Honestly, I've seen the desire for a high end instrument be a barrier to playing for some people- they really want the Gibson, and spend two years saving...those two years, they could have been playing an Epiphone or an Agile. Time much better spent, IMO. And it's funny- I've had the privilege and sometimes the burden of playing with some REALLY good players. They sound like pros on Epiphones as much as they do on Gibsons. (And I sound like a novice on my mid-range guitars, or on someone else's high end guitar!) If I had Jimmy Page's Les Paul, and he had my CM Marvel, he would still be the one who sounds like Jimmy Page. (I'd be having a heck of a good time playing his, but I'd still sound like me!)

There is a bottom end, though- some of the cheapest instruments, the starcasters and the sears specials, are in fact really cheap for a reason. Lousy action, lousy intonation, lousy tone and a tendency to break all get in the way of learning, and make it harder to stick to it, especially in your first years.

I'm not too into the idea that "you'll have your first guitar for years and years, either. You may, but you may not- first time out, you don't know what your sound is going to be yet. My "first time," I really wanted a strat- more than anything. So I got a "stratocopy," and learned a lot from playing it. But one thing I learned, over a couple of years, is that the sound I'm into isn't really a strat sound. I don't have a strat anymore, and though they're pretty great, I don't want one.

So I sort of come down in the middle- your first instruments, it really pays to do your research and make sure you're getting something decent and playable, something that can make the sounds you dream of making. But don't break the bank, and don't kill too much time. An instrument you can't really afford will intimidate you, cause you won't want to scratch it. And, past a certain point, you're better off with any guitar in your hands than you are spending time shopping.

All the best,
Ande

PS- I'm sort of writing this for future newbs who search the forums- for your case, imalone, I know you've bought a Pacifica. Great choice for a first axe.

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

PS- I'm sort of writing this for future newbs who search the forums- for your case, imalone, I know you've bought a Pacifica. Great choice for a first axe.

Yep, that was my idea and I suspect Sean's too. And I may just have misinterpreted (or taken to extreme) what he said, as you point out it's not a good idea either to get something that doesn't do what you need it too. I heard the best description of this recently about bicycles, a bike shop owner describing super-cheap supermarket cycles as 'bicycle shaped toys'. However thought I'd try to leave the thread on a slightly more balanced note.

Anyway, must do less posting and more practising.

ReplyQuote