Clear all

First show you ever saw...?

29 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok... this should be interesting... what was the FIRST show you ever saw?

My first - and you never do forget the first, right? - was Elton John with a buddy of mine and his parents. Good show, but we had some BAD seats.

My first "solo" show without adult supervision was Billy Squier at the Veteran's Memorial Coliseum in Rhode Island. Place only held like 6000 people and we had seats 15th row MIDDLE. Great show!! I distinctly remember that the drummer was off to the side on a platform and he kept throwing sticks into the crowd. He wasn't a very good drummer, but I remember thinking, "that dude is cool." I don't remember Billy playing a guitar through the entire show, I think he just sang...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

In 1976, I saw John Hammond Jr. (who's really J. H. III) singing and playing the first resonator guitar I'd ever seen in a Milwaukee coffeehouse. I had no clue about this guy. My date recommended it -- she knew a lot more about blues that I did.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@justin_bass-god)
Eminent Member

my first and only just a year ago
Metallica and Godsmack

Im gonna go see Alice Cooper on Friday
and Dragonforce in a few weeks

Check out some cool sites!
http://669.betrayer.ca
http://deathpron.tripod.com
http://doommastersriddle.tripod.com
http://hemavenom.tripod.com
http://www.acidplaned.com/powerlord
http://www.freewebs.com/m1dnight

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

My folks took me to see Sky when I was about 3 or so - Apperently I fell asleep and Herbie Flowers said "At least some's enjoying the show", pointing me out to the entire audience :)

My first gig that I actually chose and paid for myself etc, was probably the Wildhearts (I suddenly starting going to a lot of gigs around that time, I'm not sure which was first).

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

My first show was Soft Machine in 1970. And a few weeks later, Frank Zappa. Both in Paris.

Yes, that was a loooooooong time ago !

My last show was Mercury Rev, last year. I was to see Wilco some time later, but I got sick and missed the show.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

First artist was Jon English and Marcia Hinds ( Australians)

First international artist was Split Endz

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Well , i have seen some great shows by Indian musicians...

First was by Shaimaik Davar , who is an excellent dancer and a singer.Very nice.Held at Siri Fort Auditorium in New Delhi :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Well believe it or not neither my wife Trish or I had been to a major rock concert up until the last few weeks. I'm 52 and she has just got to 50.

We have started in a big way though:-

Eric Clapton at Birmingham NEC, last month. What a great night!!!

And the real big one (For Trish's 50th Birthday!) The Eagles at Birmingham NIA, This month What an incredible night.

We are definitely rock concert converts now. Gonna have to save hard for the next one though.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Macca at Vet Stadium on the Off The Ground Tour. Field seats, 19 rows from Sir Paul himself. I was 9

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ohh my.. this is going to be embarrassing

My first concert was when I was about 8 years old. I got to see SHAUN CASSIDY. It was awsome cause they had these cool little guns that would spark when you would pull the trigger. My mom got me one.. And they had this awsome little arm band that would glow in the dark. But I started crying cause my mom wouldnt get me one.. and then there were these posters that I wanted that would glow in the black lights but it made me mad cause my mom wouldnt get me one. Awsome show... I dont know how the music was.. dont remember that part.

First show as a participant was Aerosmith/Dokken. Aerosmith was AWSOME but Dokken wasnt too great and I'm a solid Dokken fan.. Less alcohol more music next time.... keeps one from dropping the mic stand.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Alexisonfire. It was a good first show, with some mosh pits and bodysurfing. It was kind of scary though. Good times all around.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I really can't remember the first, growing up on a collge campus I saw lots. I think the first I can remember by name is "The Lettermen" circa 1965.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

1983 - ZZ Top & Sammy Hagar - Knoxville, TN

Great show, just had to make sure to dodge the bottles of J.D. being thrown around! :shock: 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Barry Manilow

I won tickets, what can I say :)

In all honesty, I've seen very few folks since who were as good as he was at working the large auditorium. He handled the flow of his show very well, and really strove to make the audience feel like they were part of a much smaller show than it was.

This was well before the huge screen era. '74 or '75. It was prior to the Copacabana tour.

The first concert I choose and paid for was Van Halen a few years later.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wow I have no idea what the first one was!.....I think that means something

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2