Clear all

Gallien-Krueger Backline

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have any of the Backline series amp heads? I found a Backline 600 on Craigslist and am thinking of buying it. I wanted to hear any thoughts from those who already have one and find out what kind of cabs you are using with it.

Bass player for Undercover

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I have a GK 400RB-IV with an Epifani 112 cab in church. THUNDER! Yet clear too - the GK trademark, growly mids plus clarity. The GK sound is the reference in solid state bass amps, in my opinion; not everyone likes it but it is well known.

The Backline 600 is essentially the same as the 400RB with a couple less bells and whistles. If I had known that a while ago I would have probably gone with that and saved a few bucks, but oh well.

Now, I have played the same head through an older Avatar 210 cab (non-neo) and didn't care for it as much. It mates very well with my Epifani though. I also considered Aguilar and GK's own cabs, but got a good deal on the Epifani. I'm told Genz-Benz has great cabs too. Really there are many nice cabs to choose from; I prefer more of a hi-fi speaker since I have a very warm-sounding passive bass, but if you just want good old rock & roll then an old used Ampeg or Peavey cab will fill the bill nicely.

Edit: Oooh, that reminds me, I have an old 10" Peavey PA cab that I fitted with an Eminence Beta 10A speaker; I think I will bring it with me to church practice tonite and stack it on the Epifani; a mini-stack of doom! :twisted:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. On cabs, I am thinking of starting w/ a 2x10 and then adding a 1x15. I'm going to keep looking for used, but GK's are pretty inexpensive new. They will be my backup plan.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

but GK's are pretty inexpensive new.

True, even their higher-end cabs are inexpensive compared to those from "boutique" companies.

You might also look for an older Eden-Nemesis 210 cab; the new ones (RS210) are overpriced at $350 they can be found for less.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My son bought a GK Brat half stack, very inexpensive and we are impressed with it. Very versatile and exellent sound. I can only imagine what the high end GK's sound like.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Brat-Pack-HalfStack-Bass-Amp-Package?sku=482546

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote