Clear all

GAS!

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey I got this guitar :) I sold my Ibanez JS100 cos the locking tuners were just too much of an annoyance to me and the amount I use the whammy is minimal anyway........

Think its a beauty, sounds great and with distortion it has a real growl! :)

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@alangreen)

Looks nice. Is that a maple top on the body?

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I've read very good reviews of this guitar. Congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey.......

Yeah it is a maple top, I like having a humbucker and a single coil guitar, you know how it is for one song you want this kind of sound and for another you wnat something else. The sounds are really good clean though, as well as distorted (though the bridge pickup clean isn't my favourite sound, sounds cool distorted, I find the same thing with the strat though that I rarely use the pickup closest to the bridge)

I've been playing around with the guitar for the last hour and a half not particularly learning anything just having a little mess around. I kind of drifted into another world.

Oh and I realise now this probably isn't for - opinions and polls - so moderators, move it if you feel like it. :D

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Good choice changing to a fixed bridge! I did the some a couple years ago and the only time I've wanted to use a whammy is like one time. The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. I've been very tempted by a PRS guitar. The inlays are just beautiful!

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well..... the SE - is a nice way to go if you want a PRS guitar without paying thousands of pounds, in the UK anyway, these are relatively affordable guitars - and I've read people online who own the top of the range PRS' saying they got an SE as a back up to their full PRS version of the same guitar and being really impressed....... now I'm not saying they say they're as good as the very expensive top of the range PRS but just that they're saying for the price they're a really good instrument...... and I'm really happy with my guitars, my mex strat and my PRS SE - I might one day get an expensive strat probably far into the future just to have an american strat but if it never happened I'd still be happy bashing away on my current electrics. I'm just very glad at what I've learnt to do with my guitars, I can make them sound great to the point where people are fooled into thinking my strat is american.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I play my guitars with American fingers .......... Your fine with the gear you have. My Gibsons don't magically make me play better, your MIM Strat is just fine. Enjoy that PRS!

My son said to pass on he plays with NOS American fingers. (My wife, his mom is native American)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What does NOS stand for then? I actually noticed at the jam I goto there is a guy who has an expensive PRS - and an expensive strat - one that has these strange looking white pick ups, neither of his "sounds" compare with my MIM strat from where I'm listening.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

NOS is New Old Stock. Vintage stuff thats never been taken out of the box, used or sold. I thought a cleaver joke on his part. I have some mid priced guitars that are not USA made that are my favorites. Specifically my black Epiphone Les Paul. It just fits me and I like it's sound. I'm not so much a Strat guy but my MIM Strat compares favorably to any American Strat I have ever played. Mine is an old one (1992) and there wasn't alot of difference back then. I've never tried a PRS but with my fondness for the Les Paul I'm sure I would like them.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I really have enjoyed my PRS SE. I've got a graple colored Paul Allender LP with passive pickups. It's the easiest fret board of my collection. The bridge p-up needs to go into some juice. It loves some power. Even a cleanish tube screamer will do just fine. I've your playing clean and want some thinner tone, but not all bridge, the two do play nicely wth each other. It also helps the bridge pup to have the tone dropped a but when clean.

I have played a few SE Single cuts. Very nice. TR, they're a tiny bit different. I think most are 25-inch scale. Some necks also are a bit wider down near the body with a bridge to match. Makes things a bit easier for fat fingered dudes like myself.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Okay, I have been here for a few weeks now it's about time I started a fight.

I think PRS guitars are far and away the most over priced under achieving guitars on the market, I would feel the same way if they cost a third of what they do. Terrible pickups, Run of the mill CNC workmanship, cheap and impossibly thick Poly finishes, Heavy woods and all of this for a mass produced, uncomfortable guitar for what many private luthiers will make you a custom guitar for. What makes it worse is how good the SE's are for the price. And TR, I'd be willing to bet that playing a $4000 PRS would make you fall in love with your LP's all over again. Nice guitar Flea.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ezra...... you, me, parking lot now!

Haha thanks though, I really like the SE ones I dont think I'd fork out thousands for a proper PRS though. I'd probably stretch to between £1 and £2 grand for a really great strat if it blew me away, having an expensive strat is one of my far away dreams and beside that I don't think I'd ever get a really expensive guitar (paying £4 grand for a certain PRS just seems madness to me)

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Oh, Flea, my friend... if you ever want a hand made custom strat, Give Ron Kirn a call. You could probably fly to the states, pick it up and fly back with it for less than what a custom shop fender would cost you. And I'll wind up a set of smoking pickups for you too!

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Who is this Ron Kirn fellow?

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Ronkirn.com i think, great maker, highly respected in the luthier and strat community. he has a long waiting list but his prices are lower than most artist model strats. And made in his garage. im writting with a squiggly 1 month old in my arms btw. I have some of his templates. great web site if you intersted in building and stuff too.

ReplyQuote