Clear all

GAS for Guitar Players Only?

58 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Why do a lot of guitar players have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) compared to other musicians? Not saying that all guitar players do and all other musicians don't but on average it seems that way.

Is it some difference between the training? Many guitar players are self taught so maybe without a teacher to guide them to practicing more they look for the guitar/amp/cable/pedal/case that will make them better?

Is it that there are more components involved in making the sounds - guitar, strings, picks, cables, pedals, amps, etc. - than compared to say an oboe?

Is it that guitars are relatively inexpensive compared to say violas?

Is it the variety of guitars available? There are only so many steps in violin quality or variety before you go over most people's budget or run out of options.

Something else?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

there are a wide assortment of guitar types and stringed electrical instruments have a larger variety of accessories and variations of accessories to chose from IMO.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Many guitar players are self taught so maybe without a teacher to guide them to practicing more they look for the guitar/amp/cable/pedal/case that will make them better?

Something else?

All of your reasons apply to me. :)

I definitely hoped that the next buy would make me sound better, or at the very least keep me motivated to practise. Both hopes were re-enforced enough (albeit usually in very small ways) to give me an excuse to keep doing it. Buying stuff is nearly always fun, and dreaming up reasons usually not too hard. Shallow perhaps, but true.

When I decide to stop buying guitars I found that I had a reasonable excuse for 10 of them but I owned 11. So I sold the surplus one. The ten were, as TwistedLefty points out, different enough to justify.

1 Bass,
1 12 string
1 Classical with nylon strings
1 old acoustic beater
1 better quality steel stringed acoustic/electric
1 Strat copy
1 Les Paul style
1 hollow body jazz archtop style
1 Epi SG400 +
1 more Epi SG400 for a spare (kept in different playing rooms, used for other tunings etc)
= 10 .

Plus some amps, one pedal, a recorder/mixer and a couple of mics.

You wouldn't go out to play golf with only one club in the bag, so why restrict yourself to playing music on only one style of guitar?? :wink:

As far as other instruments go, way less for sure.

2 clarinets (the second was to get a quality increase)
4 keyboards (two since sold and replaced with better quality) The 2 left are different styles and have varied functions, and the next big step up would probably be something like an acoustic grand, which I couldn't possibly justify and needs more money and space than is available. The rest are all singles, just to have a basic version of an instrument to experiment with and maybe use to add a few bars to a song at some stage.

Oh, and I should probably add the computer and several software packages that I have mostly to use for music. But there isn't really much duplication and the total cost has been less than I could easily have spent if my hobby was, for instance, boats, cars, planes, etc. I could also have spend many times the amount to get increasingly modest improvements in quality for each item. If you really get the bug for something, whether it's for business or pleasure, there's really no upper limit on cost or quantity.

I feel pretty happy with the collection of stuff that I've built up. It seems to cover the bases without being too over the top. But the main thing is that I'm enjoying every minute of the slow crawl towards acquiring the missing talent to be able to do what I'd like to with it all..... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A lot of guitar players fall within the Geek category. They think that buying stuff will make them cool. It could be guitars, comic books, DVDs, video games, etc.

You mean to say they are materialistic? Not sure about that. Many guitars have historical and artistic value -- many of us appreciate those aspects, plus most of us realize that owning a lot of stuff will not win us any popularity contests. You'd more easily convince me that

1. noobies lust after gear because they think it'll make them play/sound better
2. guys often take up guitar because they think it will get them girls

(truths about these beliefs in the fine print)

Oh yeah: Real Geeks are the guys/gals in the carnival who bite off the heads of live chickens. As proud professionals, they do not want you to further mis-apply their good name to mere posers.

Back OT: Drummers are notorious for GAS. (Please stand up and introduce yourself, Bish.)

The fine print:
1. Gear rarely makes anyone a better player.
2. Playing guitar usually draws other guitar players, who wish to point out to everyone that they too play guitar ( and possibly better) and implicitly, they also are available for amorous intentions -- or meaningless one night stands should some attractive person find it necessary to worship guitar players. In the end, everyone goes home alone and looks at the sexy adverts in GP mag.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, but why guitar noobies and not oboe noobies?

The purpose of rock n' roll is to convince girls to pay money to get close to you.
Richard Hell

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

they also are available for amorous intentions -- or meaningless one night stands should some attractive person find it necessary to worship guitar players.

That's why I bought all mine :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, but why guitar noobies and not oboe noobies?

Do you have any idea how much an oboe costs? The barrier-to-entry for owning multiple guitars is much lower. OTOH, how do we know an oboe player isn't gassing for a $2000 Armani tux or a silk jacket that will be part of his performance gear? Other stuff: music stands, oboe stands, autographed reeds, fossil ivory scrimshaw oboe display stand, recording gear, techicolor Pelican travel cases ... And how about the oboe player overheard to say "Gotta get me a bassoon. That is a real chick magnet."

(clue: real answer was the low barrier to entry part)
The purpose of rock n' roll is to convince girls to pay money to get close to you.
Richard Hell

Of course, but he knew what he was doing from the beginning by choosing to be born to Mr. and Mrs. Hell. That's a guy with a serious plan! And Richard knew success rested on one more aspect: HE WAS THE SINGER. Take note: SINGERs pull far more than guitarists. (read that again and remember it guitar noobies -- you will pay large sums of $$$ to get this same advice elsewhere, but at GN, we tell it!) And a Singer holding a killer guitar, whether or not (s)he can play it is UNSTOPPABLE.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Do you have any idea how much an oboe costs? The barrier-to-entry for owning multiple guitars is much lower. OTOH, how do we know an oboe player isn't gassing for a $2000 Armani tux or a silk jacket that will be part of his performance gear? Other stuff: music stands, oboe stands, autographed reeds, fossil ivory scrimshaw oboe display stand, recording gear, techicolor Pelican travel cases ... And how about the oboe player overheard to say "Gotta get me a bassoon. That is a real chick magnet."

Stop! Stop! :shock: I don't even have an oboe yet, let alone all those sexy accessories...

I've just got back from the music shop with Finale Print Music (after using the demo on a daily basis for a week or two...), a really good solid mic stand (to replace my crummy first one that broke almost immediately...) a pop filter (because they look cool when you record, and may even help...) and a slinky looking mic which is a healthy quality step above the very basic cheapie I've been using (but which probably still won't go far towards making me sound like Roy Orbison or Frank Sinatra...).

I really DON'T need to be back there tomorrow fingering oboes with possessive intent... :mrgreen:

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think every sort of musician gets GAS. And it's far from limited to musicians. I first saw the term many years ago as Gun Acquisition Syndrome. As Gear Acquisition Syndrome, it can apply to anyone.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

they also are available for amorous intentions -- or meaningless one night stands should some attractive person find it necessary to worship guitar players. In the end, everyone goes home alone and looks at the sexy adverts in GP mag.
Dear gnease,
I hope you are happy.
You have so totally ruined the rest of my day.

Really bummed out now,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I think every sort of musician gets GAS. And it's far from limited to musicians. I first saw the term many years ago as Gun Acquisition Syndrome. As Gear Acquisition Syndrome, it can apply to anyone.

True.

So, it appears from the replies above that GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) is a development of:

GAS (Girl Acquisition Syndrome - or Guy.A.S) as part of a desire to be noticed, which is:

GAS (Glamour Acquisition Syndrome). There is also a very real danger, as soon as you have a couple of power chords under your belt, to develop a taste for playing really loud and acting all moody and rebellious, known as:

GAS (Grunge Acquisition Syndrome). If you overdo the buying you can also get:

GAS (Guilt Acquisition Syndrome) and you may infect your jealous bandmates with:

GAS (Grudge Acquisition Syndrome),

So it's pretty much unavoidable. It also has a very long history - going all the way back to Noah. He doubtless started harmlessly enough with a pair of puppies or a couple of kittens, but just couldn't stop. A tortoise or two here, a pair of parrots, and soon he had to go all the way and get all the odd ones as well... A clear case of:

GAS (Gnu Acquisition Syndrome)..... :roll:

We can't escape it, so just relax, and keep saving...

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

And it doesn't just affect those of us who are at the "mucking about" phase of our guitar "career".
Here is a recording (MP3) of Randy Bachman discussing what sort of variety of guitars a working pro 'needs' in his toolbox

http://members.shaw.ca/pileofstuff/guitarnoise/Randy_sez_I_need.mp3

/yes, I realize what I've unleashed, and I'm sorry... :mrgreen:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

True.

So, it appears from the replies above that GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) is a development of:

GAS (Girl Acquisition Syndrome - or Guy.A.S) as part of a desire to be noticed, which is:

GAS (Glamour Acquisition Syndrome). There is also a very real danger, as soon as you have a couple of power chords under your belt, to develop a taste for playing really loud and acting all moody and rebellious, known as:

GAS (Grunge Acquisition Syndrome). If you overdo the buying you can also get:

GAS (Guilt Acquisition Syndrome) and you may infect your jealous bandmates with:

GAS (Grudge Acquisition Syndrome),

So it's pretty much unavoidable. It also has a very long history - going all the way back to Noah. He doubtless started harmlessly enough with a pair of puppies or a couple of kittens, but just couldn't stop. A tortoise or two here, a pair of parrots, and soon he had to go all the way and get all the odd ones as well... A clear case of:

GAS (Gnu Acquisition Syndrome)..... :roll:

We can't escape it, so just relax, and keep saving...

Unfortunately, two of my hobbies cause GAS (Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome and Gun Acquisition Syndrome) and both are expensive

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I play guitar, sax, wind synthesizer, keyboard syntheszer, bass, and drums so I can answer that from this multi-instrumentalist's point of view.

Guitarists seem to have the most GAS, although it is not exclusively a guitar thing.

Sax players usually have a tenor and an alto (sometimes more than one) and perhaps a soprano or a baritone. But sax players try to cultivate an individual sound with their instrument. They want their personal sound to be recognizable, as most of the historical great sax players can be recognized by their tone as well as their technique. So sax players tend to settle on a sax make/model, mouthpiece make/model, and reed make/strength and then practice for hours in front of a wall (for the reflection of sound) manipulating various body parts from the lips to the diaphragm to get their personal sound.

Synth players have more GAS than sax players. This includes wind synth and keyboard synth. But the GAS isn't for the instrument itself as it is for the sound "engine". I own 3 sound modules for my wind synth and a half dozen sound modules and a couple of samplers for my non-wind synths.

Now guitars are a very different animal.

There are different flavors of guitars, flat top, arch top, solid electric, semi-hollow electric. Having one of each is similar to a sax player getting a tenor, alto, soprano and bari.

Each guitar has its own sound. So there is GAS for the tone just as there is for the synth player who collects sound modules. So now we have twice the GAS - type and sound.

Add to that guitars are works of art. Keyboards and saxophones look pretty much alike. They come in a few colors and finishes, but the sax shape cannot change, and the black and white keys which also never change dominate the looks of the keyboard. But the Strat, LP, Dano, SG, 335, Dimebag, Tele, Explorer, Flying V, etc., etc., etc., guitars all look very different. Then put the variety of colors and finishes on them, and there is just a lot of variety in the looks of guitars. Saxes are beautiful looking instruments too, but the shape stays the same and there are only a few color options.

So the guitarist has all 3 types of GAS, type, sound and looks. Therefore it stands to reason that guitarists should have 3 times as much GAS as other players.

Now look at poor me. I play sax, flute, wind synthesizer, keys, bass, and drums. I'm GASsing for a King Super 20 SilverSonic tenor sax, a few sound modules for my synths, an SG, a new ES-330 long neck so I can put some Seymour Duncan Dog Ear Humbuckers in it, a Dano, a Johnny A Signature, an old Al Caiola, a Blues Hawk, a Jaguar and one of those ugly Eastwoods. The problem is the economy is still in a tailspin and neither the band business nor the aftermarket Band-in-a-Box style disk business is as good as it was when the "other" party was running the country.

So I simply have to play the state lottery (voluntary tax) and hope for the big one so I can feed the GAS. ;)

Anybody know next week's numbers for Florida? :)

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

Unfortunately, two of my hobbies cause GAS (Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome and Gun Acquisition Syndrome) and both are expensive

Amen brother.

But in the case of guns, once the gun safe is full, the GAS is held in compression.
It'll be awhile before the entire house is full of guitars to keep the GAS compressed.......

And don't forget the closely related condition of TAS. Tool Acquisition Syndrome.

And be sure to avoid the truly pathological BBAS. Beanie Baby Acquisition Syndrome....

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4