Gave one away-

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I won't go on long, but I had an experience this weekend that I wanted to share with someone who would get it...and I think that means you guys.

Necessary background. I'm somewhat more than a year into the second time I've tried to learn to play the guitar (and it's going okay!). Last time was 20 years ago- I was a teenager, saved up for a guitar in summer jobs, finally bought it, and the house got robbed. :cry: didn't get another one until about a year and a half ago.

So last week, I met my landlady's grandson. Nice kid- 16 years old, taken classical guitar lessons for a year or so. REally wanted to play some rock, and saved up all his birthday money to get a cheap electric. He bought a Yamaha pacifica, I think, and the next week, their house got robbed. I can REALLY feel for this kid.

So I gave him my beatercaster. It wasn't a great guitar, but worked really well. It's the first one I bought, learned to solder, shim, and set up- cheap guitar, but I learned a lot and it sounded pretty okay. Now that I have another one, though, I almost never play it...and I didn't want some kid to wait 20 years to have this much fun, like I did.

It's a little thing, but I feel good.

Ande

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go! Saving the world one guitar at a time!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Well done! And hopefully this gift will find itself passed along in some manner years from now.

Thanks for making my afternoon! I love reading items like this.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yes, well done. And thank you for sharing it with us!

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys-

I knew you'd understand. The question of what to do with a loved, but not needed, guitar has an answer.

Best,
Ande

PS- I'll add to this in the future- I'm changing countries again next year, and have a few more guitars than I can take with me.
Waiting for the universe to tell me who needs them.

ReplyQuote
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member

thats really cool bro. i always forget how an unselfish decision by one can have a huge impact on another. great way to lead by example.

"its supposed to be pickin and grinnin. NOT pickin and scowlin"
-the feez

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That's great! Good to hear about someone doing some good in the world. It will come back to you someday for sure (not the guitar, the good deed)

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Way to go Ande! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

very well done. you really have made an impact on this young person. I know the feeling. I have given away two guitars and bought an amp an guitar for my friend's son. she's a single mom and has a growing teenager.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Way to go, Ande!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There ya go, Ande! 8) 8)

I "lent" an amp to a friend in need who was going through rough times on three fronts all at once. Makes you feel all good inside.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good for you, Ande! I agree with DH, it's great to read posts like this. Your Karma's looking good!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote