Clear all

Gear Recommendations

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok guys and gals, looking to upgrade my acoustic. Here's the criteria Im looking for...

Can't really afford to spend more than 400. I'd wait and save up more but I need something usable for live gigs
Solid top, decent electronics and a cutaway
Slightly wider neck than my current Dean, preferably something more like my strat neck

I have been looking at the Alvarez Regent series on MF, they've been getting great reviews and have the right price and features BUT none of the local shops (withing 45 minutes in any direction) carry Alvarez so I won't get a chance to play one before buying, which makes me slightly nervous.

As a side note, I am completely against Fender acoustics. I think their tone is way too thin, if you want to use that as a gauge of my preferences, tone-wise.

Thanks

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Thought about SAMICK or the EPIPHONEs? The EPI Master Builts are great guitars and Samicks, in my opinion are some of the best bang for the buck out there.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Check out Garrisons, and Washburns. Also, look at anything from the Lasido line, Godin, Art & Lutherie, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, all great lines. Waldens are also worth trying. I would suggest going used, much more bang for your buck.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@telematthew)

If you aren't adverse to used, and you have some time to spare, you might consider scouring your city's pawn shops and music store for good, older stuff. I once bought a very-good-condition Guild acoustic (D4, pre-Fender build, from RI) with a hard case for just over $300. Granted, I got lucky, but you never know...

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

If you aren't adverse to used, and you have some time to spare, you might consider scouring your city's pawn shops and music store for good, older stuff. I once bought a very-good-condition Guild acoustic (D4, pre-Fender build, from RI) with a hard case for just over $300. Granted, I got lucky, but you never know...
Wow - that's a great pickup!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote