Clear all

Genius??

35 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm not really sure if its a term that need to be put into a common categorization, if you know what I mean.

I think so and so is a genius, because their music touches me, I find their writing beautiful, and I find it hard to imagine how they might have accomplished so much.

Take John Williams for example...He composes the Star Wars music, Jurassic Park, Superman, Jaws, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, etc. That's 5 (i'm not counting Schindler's List) musical peices that most people can hum without a problem, they bring people back into a different time in their life, and bring back memories. This is what I guess, noteboat was referring to as the nostalgia element. However, I feel that his music is beautiful, and a major part of the success of these movies. To me, its genius.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's a huge difference between genius, superstar and icon......

In the first category I'd put Clapton, Beck, Page, Hendrix .....all did things with the guitar that had never been heard before....

Lennon and McCartney, Jagger/Richard, Dylan, Brian Wilson.....for songwriting and / or arrangement......(could probably add Sir George Martin to that list for getting the best out of L & M.....)

Phil Spector, for creating a totally new sound.....

In the 2nd category - very overused today, but you'd have to have people who aren't creatively brilliant, but all-round talents....Bee Gees, wrote and produced all their own hits, wrote hits for other people....Prince writes good songs, plays a mean guitar, puts on a great stage show....U2 - make simple songs sound fabulous and play to huge crowds.....

In the 3rd category, people whose influence is felt long after their death.....and influenced a whole generation.....Robert Johnson, Elvis, Buddy Holly.....Cobain would fit neatly into this category.....

I can think of two people - both in the top 100 on the memberlist - who both love cobain, and whose combined ages are about 10-11 years less than mine - they're both female, and they were probably just about starting school when KC died - but his influence lives on..... definitely worthy of iconic status.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Some time in the future all the people mentioned here will probably be nothing more than fly specks on the pages of history.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, that's why I figure contemporary genius labels are premature - they could all easily turn out the be the C.P.E. Bachs of our era... well thought of at the time, but minor players in the true big picture.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I'm sure when the aliens take over and bring their space music all of our "genius works" will be belittled to the sound of dogs barking.

God, you gotta love that space music.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

david,

i know zep covered alot of old r&b tunes, but every song that was written by
zeppelin, was written by jimmy page, plus what he did in the studio was incredible imo

Jimmy did not write all the Zep songs...There was a lot of collaboration within the band' read the credits :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hard question. I think a Genius is someone who, through exceptional vision and intelligence (and *not* exceptional skill!) creates *something* that is remarkable and noteworthy is the positive sense of the word. If I had to give a modern day example it would probably be Radiohead: a superbly diverse band who manage to combine various approaches to songwriting (compare, for example, their first hit 'Creep''with 'National Anthem') into an overall truly unique and astounding sound.

People like Clapton and Gilmour are, IMHO, not so much geniusses as excellent players. Their compositions themselves sound great but aren't really novel or unique as far as I can see. Which isn't bad at all, I've as much Clapton records as Radiohead albums but there is a distinct difference between them. If I had to go back to the golden-oldie days to name a genius it would be the Hendrix Experience or (and I might be hacked down for this by my generation) the Beatles. Both might not have the technical skills of the true virtuoso players but both bands had oozes of unique creativity. Which is what seperates an excellent player from a genius.

Will Radiohead, Jimi or the Beatles be anything more then a minor footnote in history in 2206? No idea, but they might. Maybe.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Like the song says .."All we are is dust in the wind" Lots of great stuff out in the last 40 years or so, but who knows what will be important in another 40 years :wink: The Beatles and Stones..more than likley :D ....But I think lots of more Obscure stuff like Tom Waits, Radio Head, King Krimson, Maybe even John Vanderslivce will have an audience in 40 years, just like some peaple still look for Spike Jones, Hank Williams, and old elvis Costello and the Attractions LP's ( My Aim Is True Is a classic IMHO) 8) 8) 8) -the dog

Aint Music COOL 8) 8) 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member

Difference between Virtuoso and Genius?

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think a virtuoso is a person, who has mastered the use of an instrument almost to the point of perfection and is a term used originally for musicians alone. A virtuoso need not be a genius, nor a genius a virtuoso.
Genius has been discussed at length.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Difference between Virtuoso and Genius?

vir·tu·o·so ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vûrch-s, -z)
n. pl. vir·tu·o·sos or vir·tu·o·si (-s)
A musician with masterly ability, technique, or personal style.
A person with masterly skill or technique in the arts.
A person with a strong interest in the fine arts, especially in antiquities.
Archaic. A very learned person.

gen·ius ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jnys)
n. pl. gen·ius·es

Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: “One is not born a genius, one becomes a genius” (Simone de Beauvoir).
A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.

A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius of Elizabethan England.
pl. ge·ni·i (jn-) Roman Mythology. A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
A person who has great influence over another.
A jinni in Muslim mythology.

Both taken from Dictionary.com

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A genius would write an amazing piece. A virtuoso then plays said piece because the genius can't. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A genius would write an amazing piece. A virtuoso then plays said piece because the genius can't. ;)

Nice practical explanation, Arjen. Mozart comes to mind as a musical example of both.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member

:wink: O so I c... I would rather be a Virtuouso, why be smart when you can be brilliant.

Id rather master an instrument then the mind.

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I'd rather master an instrument then the mind.

If you can realize that you don't have to make it an "either / or" choice, then you're well on your way to being able to do both. :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3