Clear all

Gibson bought Garrison

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just learned of this yesterday as I was perusing Garrison's website. Gibson will continue making the Garrison acoustics, but they will be branded with the Gibson name. I'm no Gibson hater, as my favorite guitar is my SG. But I also love my Garrison acoustic, and one of the things I appreciated about the company was the fact they didn't charge any more for lefty models than righties. Gibson is known not only for charging left-handed players a premium, but theres also been rumors (substantiated, I believe) lately that they're going to discontinue lefty guitars altogether, with the exception of custom models.
I've been singing the praises of my Garrison G-20 for about a year now. Its a wonderful product at an extremely reasonable price. This news rubs me the wrong way. I don't know if there are any other Garrison owners on the forum, but if so - what do you think of Gibson acquiring Garrison?

Dan

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

...what do you think of Gibson acquiring Garrison?
Never heard of Garrison before.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Me, either! I guess we've been under a rock or something, Ricochet! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ricochet, I'm sure you're in the majority on that one. Its a company based in Newfoundland Canada (I believe). What originally caught my attention about them is the fact that they used a fiberglass framework inside their acoustic guitars rather than wood. Their site describes it as follows...

"The Griffiths Active Bracing Systemâ„¢ is a revolutionary method of guitar construction that took over 6 years to perfect. Our entire company is built on this more intelligent way to build guitars. By integrating the binding, kerfing, bridge plate and all the braces into one glass fibre component, the top is activated by having all parts vibrate in unison. It also provides enhanced structural stability that would normally take hours to construct using traditional production techniques. We do it in just 45 seconds by employing unique projection molding technologies. The technology is not designed to cut corners, but add value. A single-unit brace means no matter where you create a vibration inside your guitar, the resonance has an uninterrupted path to travel throughout the instrument.
The Griffiths Active Bracing Systemâ„¢ and other innovations improve overall sound quality, but also vastly reduce our production costs. That's right; we can produce a high quality acoustic guitar at a lower overall cost!"

I can't say I necessarily hear the difference between their method and the conventional way, but it did make me curious to try one. And when I did, I loved the sound and playability. A bonus (to me, at least) is the fact that its a solid wood, North American made guitar.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I've heard of them and played a couple. Great guitars with a robust sound.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Ricochet, I'm sure you're in the majority on that one. Its a company based in Newfoundland Canada (I believe). What originally caught my attention about them is the fact that they used a fiberglass framework inside their acoustic guitars rather than wood. Their site describes it as follows...

"The Griffiths Active Bracing Systemâ„¢ is a revolutionary method of guitar construction that took over 6 years to perfect. Our entire company is built on this more intelligent way to build guitars. By integrating the binding, kerfing, bridge plate and all the braces into one glass fibre component, the top is activated by having all parts vibrate in unison. It also provides enhanced structural stability that would normally take hours to construct using traditional production techniques. We do it in just 45 seconds by employing unique projection molding technologies. The technology is not designed to cut corners, but add value. A single-unit brace means no matter where you create a vibration inside your guitar, the resonance has an uninterrupted path to travel throughout the instrument.
The Griffiths Active Bracing Systemâ„¢ and other innovations improve overall sound quality, but also vastly reduce our production costs. That's right; we can produce a high quality acoustic guitar at a lower overall cost!"

I can't say I necessarily hear the difference between their method and the conventional way, but it did make me curious to try one. And when I did, I loved the sound and playability. A bonus (to me, at least) is the fact that its a solid wood, North American made guitar.

I had looked into the guitars because the founder had won a 25K 'innovation award' for this bracing system and he was featured in a TV commercial here in Canada.
I wonder how much of the value Gibson saw in the company revolves around this technology and its patents?
I personally hate seeing nimble little independents swallowed up, no matter what the field.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Boxboy, I believe your "little independents swallowed up" comment sums up one of the reasons i don't like the change. Like I said, I love Gibsons products. Their quality control (or lack thereof) is infamous and I've seen it first hand, but when they get it right, they really get it right. But I loved the idea of Chris Griffith (Garrison founder) coming up with this unique concept, starting a little company and making a great product.
Nick, I agree - they are very robust, full sounding guitars. I've only played two Garrisons:the cedar topped G-20 (which I bought) and the spruce topped G-30 and the sound of both are great. The workmanship is also top-notch. I've been pining for another acoustic, so I hope Gibson's QC issues don't follow them to Canada.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I heard of them...never played one.

They're always in AG mag.

ReplyQuote