Clear all

Gibson Firebird X

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So, what do people think of the Firebird X then? This is Gibson's new hi-tech offering with robot tuning, onboard modelling and effects and a pair of cool bluetooth-connected footswitches. Looks like a great idea, but reviews (e.g. guitarist magazine) seem to suggest the sound isn't quite there (which for $5500 or £3300 is a pity).

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

for the price I would hope that the robot inside would play the licks for me too, and drive me home from late night gigs. :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Or at least make coffee. The cost makes it a bit of a curiosity, since you could get a couple of nice traditional electrics and a decent amp for the same. The closest competitor is the Variax (which is not quite the same thing) which is about 1/3rd the price.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I got one for my b'day present. Except for the hex capabilities...it's a dud.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

:(

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

My brother (64) and I were in Tucson not too long ago and we stopped in to a shop where I knew everyone. I was looking over the X and its hex output cpabilities. On my bithday...#60...it showed up here in Oz.

My opinion:

It's Gibson's SUCCESSFUL attempt at cornering the market on floor pedals. This thing does everything except percolate coffee and brew beer. It's for the kiddie "maybe if I use this effect I'll sound better" floor pedal market. The neck is slow..and you cannot put a .008 on the high end...the Robotuner goes nuts. They should NEVER have re-used the word "firebird"...I have one...and it ain't. Batteries last maybe an hour...but two chargers and seven rechargeable backups came with mine. In my hand, it feels like one of those toys you'd get for your kid's fourth birthday.

However...

You can do marvellous things with their piezo hex output. I play (as it is) with a split pickup and will NEVER go back to mono. Still, it's what you can do with your fingers that trumps whatever innovation may be on a guitar...and it's clunky. Like restringing an acoustic with lights and wondering why it won't outplay a Strat, Lester, or Artist...which is primarily due to the inability to use all string gauges. It's okay to play, even fun, in fact. But it will NOT replace anyone's mainstay axe that's been playing for any great length of time. Can't explain it better than that.

They gave me access to a dedicated website...with maybe one post a week from their half-dozen members...and I've stated what I did here on it...and to Gibson, directly. Gibson replied that they weren't planning on altering a Lester (my suggestion) and were dead silent on the string gauge issue. I'll say right here...as I told them..."Gibson fell down on this one."

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Glad your brother got you such a nice gift! Just too bad about Gibson's end of things. Yes, they do really need to "play" well and for those prices should.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yes, they do really need to "play" well and for those prices should.

Hey Gibson: "duh!"

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

It's New years Eve here in Oz...and still SOMEONE at Gibson is diligent enough to contact me personally about the FBX.

I'm impressed...

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I like the technology, but don't like the looks. Of course that's my own personal opinion.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

My first post of 2012...dizzy...and with a lovely headache.

Was up entertaining with the FBX (I think) last night. While assimilating every sort of floor pedal out there, comments centred upon exactly that: its looks...and it sure doesn't look like a Firebird. My opinion is that they should have called it something else.

Its strong point (relating to me) is that Hex/Piezo hookup. Once you begin to use a guitar split up through a good desk you'll NEVER want to play any other way. The inbuilt effects certainly do come off solidly and as you'd expect. Just think of all those rows of pedals you see spread out in the music shop...the best of them: ALL of them! That part's pretty cool...

But there's been some trouble with their Robotuners working to specs. On this point, Gibson's working with the developers to sort it out. I suggested that it should have been an option. They aren't a fly-by-night company...I mean, we're talking Gibson, here. They offered to swap axes for me yesterday, so they're working late sorting things out...I never expected to hear back from them over these holidays...but they are genuinely interested in my feedback.

We'll see. I'll keep this post posted!

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yeah...I'm shocked. They've got people concerned and working on this over the past holiday. Cool...

Cat

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Are you sure it isn't a bunch of little Elfs?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Elves...not elfs! They've moved in to the FBX, it seems. :roll:

Cat

ReplyQuote