Gibson Scale

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My Ibanez has a 25.5" Scale neck.

Am i right in thinking Gibson LP necks tend to be 24.75" scale?

Are the frets slightly closer together if this is the case?

Im considering a Gibson / Epi LP of some sort thats all!

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, the LP are 24.75". I don't know if you are reading this thread on Scale Lengths, it could be useful for you.

The LPs are great guitars, great sound and great sustain. Probably one of the best choices for rock but you can play also blues and even jazz with the neck pickup.

I have an Epi and I'm happy with it. As I said previously it came with several minor troubles as for example one of the tone knobs was in contact with the guitar top, one of the tuners is ligthly turned... Quality control issues. They are not important but take care of them if you go for a Epi. If you can afford a Gibson, go with it, perhaps a Studio. They are cheaper than the Standards and the difference usually are the visual aspects. I prefer some studio models anyway!

It is a guitar with a considerable weight. It was a feature I liked when I bought mine because I played a nylon string guitar and the other electrics, strat-like, seemed to me "without body". You can feel the LP body! Sure! This is making I consider a new light guitar for the near future... Ok, the weight and the GAS! :lol:

As usual, try to go to a store and play it. You have the final decision! :D

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Nuno,

Thanks for the reply - I have read it and its why I asked :)

A slightly shorter scale neck may be of benefit for me, as it would mean a slightly smaller stretch for some of the chords for me (i hope).

Guitar weight doesnt bother me - I had a Squier Strat before and that was hella heavy

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Hi Nuno,

Thanks for the reply - I have read it and its why I asked :)

A slightly shorter scale neck may be of benefit for me, as it would mean a slightly smaller stretch for some of the chords for me (i hope).

There are other guitars that also have a shorter scale length - many of the Gibson models or those trying to imitate them have a 24 3/4" scale. The Fender Jaguar has a 24" scale.

If you're just starting out then unless your hands are tiny you should keep at it. Over time you will build up a bigger stretch. You'll need to do this no matter what scale guitar you have. The amount of stretch that you develop will be more than the help from a shorter scale length. Think about it - if the difference is 0.75" (difference from "Fender" to "Gibson" scale length) and it's spread evenly over the 22 spaces (21 spaces between 22 frets + 1 nut - it isn't even though) you get an extra 0.034" per fret spacing. If you are trying a four fret stretch then all you get is 0.14 inches or about 1/8 of an inch. That's not a lot - you will develop more of a hand streetch gain than that by far.

Guitar weight doesnt bother me - I had a Squier Strat before and that was hella heavy

If you think the Strat is heavy you haven't felt anything yet until you put on a Les Paul - very heavy.

Edit - fix bad math

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea don't underestimate how heavy an LP is. That's the reason I didn't buy one when I was first looking at guitars they were sooo heavy.

My Strat is just the right weight, not to light and not to heavy, but I'd still love an LP.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yea don't underestimate how heavy an LP is. That's the reason I didn't buy one when I was first looking at guitars they were sooo heavy.

My Strat is just the right weight, not to light and not to heavy, but I'd still love an LP.

I have a mahogany S-500 (G&L Strat successor) -- it's LP heavy. But you won't find many mahogany strats.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote