Giving up smoking - again.....

167 Posts
44 Users
0 Likes
27.4 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I did fairly well last year, got to about June .....this year I'm determined to quit the weed forever.....

1 hour 30 mins into the year, haven't had a smoke, thrown all tobacco out, cleaned all ashtrays, even thrown papers out - afyer running them under the tap.....

Yep, I'm going to do it this time....

Night all, going to finish my drin and get to bed - and hopefuly not wake up craving a cig, but if I do....hah, well I've got some guitars and a bass -nI'll just have to keep myself occupied....

Happy New Tear everybody!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good Luck Vic!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey Vic, one thing I've noticed is that when I'm working on a song (writing, recording, mixing, whatever) I loose any interested in tobacco, even while I don't have any intention of quitting. I saw you recorded a full song just now (will check it out tomorrow, everyone's asleep), if you just keep that up it might make things easier. And if the cravings are really bad then we'll be seeing your first solo album sooner, sounds good to me!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Go Vic! :D

Now remember.... here's what you do:

1. Write out a large cheque payable to me - Chris C. Put it in a stamped addressed envelope and stick it on your mantlepiece.

2. Tell the Mrs and all the clan to post it if they see you so much as sniffing at a fag.

3. If the cheque is still there in six months you can tear it up and send me a slightly smaller one... :P

If that doesn't sound aversive enough, write the cheque out to Ricky Ponting, Captain of the Australian Cricket team, and I'll pass it on for you if necessary... :twisted:

Good luck mate,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Good choice, Vic! You can do it and it'll be worth it. All those grandbabies need you to stick around a while.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Best of luck with that Vic

I was going to do it but I blame the booze ...

Can't open a a ale with out lighting one up , I thought if I gave up the booze I could give up smoking easier ...

Then what could I give up after that ??? mmmm I 'll leave that there before the Mrs tells me what I really don't want to hear ..

Good luck mate support is here when you need it

Happy New Year { now lets see those Brits win something in 2007 hey }

Trev.....

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Vic best of luck. think of it this way if you could get all the way to june why give up all that effort just to start again, why give up all the progress made during 6 months ?

My dad use to be quite a heavy smoker 30+ a day on a regular day. Had a heart attack and 2 heart bypasses. I remember him coming back from hospitail and the 1st thing he did was light up another. i remember being so furiuos and as kid grabbing all packets burning them and making sure he knew i was not down with what he was doing.

That was the last day he ever smoked - he was "clean" for about 10 years.

For me i always hated that taste in my mouth when i got up in the morning after smoking the previous night, i guess thats why it never stuck with me when i did try it. I must confess though i've always had a soft spot for coffee and a sigarette. usually one or two in about 6 months though.

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Vic-stay strong-we're here for ya. Guitar's great for fidgety fingers. I smoked a pack a day or so for 12+ years, quit with the help of the Nicoderm patch and Doublemint gum, and my dear wife's reassurance that she was NOT going to raise her new baby around a smoker (she was 8 mo. pg. at the time). Nothing like motivation! But that was ten years and more ago, and have NEVER relapsed. I did like you-all ashtrays gone, gave away all my trusty Zippos, and said, "I'm not a smoker anymore!" The patch did help a bit, though ;)

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Good luck Vic!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am sure you can meet your resolution, Vic.

Now you have only 364 days left.We all wish you post us a good news on 31 Dec, 2007.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Go for it Vic - remember that you only have to go one day without a smoke, and that day is "Today" - remind yourself that every monring.

I quit cold turkey 6 years back. Yes, there are still days when I could murder for a cigarette, but by the time I think about it, it's gone.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Good luck Vic. Hope it works out. All of those grand-children you have, plus the other two coming should be some good inspiration to quit.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Go for it Vic - remember that you only have to go one day without a smoke, and that day is "Today" - remind yourself that every monring.

I quit cold turkey 6 years back. Yes, there are still days when I could murder for a cigarette, but by the time I think about it, it's gone.

A :-)

100% true - just make it through a day at a time. I quit cold turkey some 18 years ago!!!!!

Make it happen!!! You can do it!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hey I forgot to send a check.

Vic and Tele, how many consecutive days did you make it last year from January 1? I need to cut a check to the American Cancer Society.

Vic, I'll do it again this year, a dollar a day. One change to the rules for this year, I'll only cut the check if you make it all the way through. Charity of your choice.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

you could always try the replacement-addiction route. replace your desire for nicotine with a good-sized GAS addiction. When you're indulging your gas, your need for the ciggies will dissipate. I suggest beginning with a nice new amplifier or maybe a beautiful Gibson acoustic guitar, perhaps a Hummingbird (sorry, I'm just projecting my own GAS onto you with that one).

**Disclaimer: I am not a real doctor, so therefore I accept no responsibility if my plan does not work.

On a serious-er note, i know of some people who have replaced the act of smoking with something like a lollipop or a straw. it's almost like giving yourself a placebo...your mind recognizes the action and, if you believe it, it could help soften the cravings. I work with someone who does this and he swears by it.

I've never smoked, so it's not my place to lecture, but I believe it's really just a matter of will power. if your will is strong enough to defeat the addiction, you will stop smoking. also, don't be afraid to ask for help. if your craving is horrible, find a friend to walk with you, or talk with you, or jam with you, to take your mind off it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 12