Congrats, Rodders. 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Good man, Rodders!

Maybe you'll be able to afford one of those PRS guitars in a few weeks.....

BTW, we tried hypnotism a couple of years ago - I lasted one day....we did get our money back eventually, but it was a pain getting it - but we weren't going to fork out £200 for something that saved us maybe £10 in money spent on ciggies. Probably cost us about £15 in phone calls and postage too.....

But I'm glad it worked for you.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Wow... some greta progress here!! Excellent.

Ok, Vic - what are we up to? I'll cut my 1/2 year check to the Diabetes Foundation this week. Are we at $180 yet?

Just think - more money for the Guinness.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

£127 in £1 coins in a jar here - waiting till it's full, which it nearly is, then I'll pay it in. I was hoping it'd get to about £182 before I had to empty it, but I don't think it'll hold that much. But like Dali said elsewhere - the sooner they get it, they sooner they can put it to use....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey everyone :D

Congratulations to all of you, and keep up the good work. :wink:
I know how hard it is....
I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago.
Hardest habit to kick that I've had.
Was trying to quit for years before that.

Had to quit drinking first - 3 years and 8 months sober now.
That was a cake walk compared to giving up smoking. :D

Nuno - I know what you're saying.
I can smell things so much better.
And taste - yuck... :x
After awhile my tongue detoxed (which was a rather unpleasent aspect).
Afterwards though - a whole new world of taste. :D
I've even pretty much stopped using salt now. LOL

Anyway - Goodluck to all of you.
I know you can do it.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I've even pretty much stopped using salt now. LOL

:lol: :lol:

I'm very happy with my "new" sense of smell. For example, today I was in a guitar store and I was smelling the acoustic guitars... Some pieces of wood smells really good! The salesman saw me and he told me they also smell the guitars when they get the guitars from the original boxes.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's pretty much all good news having a sense of taste and smell again - I used to enjoy an Indian Curry (Rogan Josh, Madras, Bhuna, the occasional Vindaloo) or a Chilli Con Carne. I used to enjoy the heat of them - now my enjoyment is magnified because I can taste them!

The downside is, if anyone's had anything garlicy the night before they better not come within a hundred yards of me.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Just a quick update on my efforts.

One month on.

Everything is going really well, I haven't been tempted at all in seeing others around me smoking. In fact I tend to think I used to be that sad, standing outside the office in the rain trying to light another death stick :lol:
But for some reason today is the first time when I have thought to myself, Y'know I could do with a fag :roll:
Don't know why that should be, as I can easily do without.
The withdrawal, (if it can be called that) is a bit like grief, it comes in waves and for no reason at all. I don't think there is any one thing that sparks it off. Strange tho' that writing about it or talking about it helps it to pass, when you'd think it would encourage the thought.

Any way, to date nothing has taken the place of smoking (not that anything could). Or has it ?

Maybe a sense of well being. A sense of pride :wink:

Thanks guys for the support.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great Rodders! :D

You only must think: I did it!

It is not the first month, it is a "new" way of life. Today is as yesterday. You are better, your body is better, your bank account is better, your family and friends are better... Really do you need a cigarette now? Does a cigarette help to something?

Congrats Rodders! YOU DID IT! :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I gave it up Aug, 1972, I had a frame hanging on my wall with my last butt on it for many years afterward as a motivator. I tip my hat to anyone who gives quitting a try, my wife has given it up for over 5 years. Like any addiction its a battle that has to be fought one day at a time.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Good job Rodder, Vic, everyone..

I have been without for over four years now. To be honest, I cant remember when I quit. You'll (or atleast I do) still have cravings once in a while. But it gets easier to say no. I replaced my smoking with eating. I have been trying to lose it but.. its not going so well. Then after the divorce I picked up drinking. It hasnt become a huge habit but it worries me. (or am I just making excuses?)

Keep it up. You'll appreciate it more ever day.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Now Geoo, you know if you are trying to lose weight, drinking does not help. You should get addicted to something healthy like jogging.
On second thought, those joggers along the roadside always look like an alien is about to burst out of their chest...maybe we can find you something milder. Jazzercise?

:P Sorry, I am up past my bedtime and slaphappy.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

:P Sorry, I am up past my bedtime and slaphappy.

LOL Thanks for making me smile. Man, its not a great habit and I know that its not good for me. But its the one I am currently working on quitting.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Hmm...surprised I didn't check out this topic.

Well congrats to whoever quit smoking, and good luck to whoever is quitting smoking. My grandfather smoked all of his life until 1989 when he had an anuyerism on the verge of exploding two inches from his heart. THey saved his life. Crazy thing is, that was before any of his grandchildren were born. Just to think how different things could be...

Well yea, good luck to everyone. Please stop. It's not good for you, but it's also not good for the people around you. :) Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's less than a month now till the new anti-smoking regulations come into force here in the UK - from July 1st, you won't be allowed to smoke in pubs, clubs, restaurants, at work or anywhere considered a public place - seems like NOW would be a really good time to quit, if you haven't already!

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 12