Clear all

Giving up smoking - again.....

167 Posts
44 Users
0 Likes
27.4 K Views
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

They did it Florida (restaurants) a couple of years ago. They're working on doing it in Georgia.
I think in Maryland, if you live in apartment building, there is some sort of restriction.
I am an avid non-smoker, but I think that's going a bit too far. Restaurants, yes. Bars and pubs, if you don't want to smoke, deal with it. As far as people's homes, ridiculous.

Much good luck on quitting to all. It's a horrible habit.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

They passed a smoking ban here in Ohio recently but the bars don't really enforce it. I went to one for a concert a couple months ago and it was still very smokey in there.

Still, it looks like that is the trend all over the world, so just use it as one more motivational tool to quit.
Good luck to all of you, I know it's hard.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

We have a similar regulation since a year and half. First they were very strict but now all it is the same. Really, the regulations do not force to small pubs and restaurants to change the things. They only have to put a signal in the door as "smoker site" or "non-smoker site". The large sites maintain two zones.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Time to dig this one up from the grave. I know, it's mid-summer, and we're quite far from making any new resolutions, but from yesterday on I've joined the ranks of the Quiters. My blood will be tested in a few weeks so there's no time to 'slowly reduce' anything, no nothing for me anymore, period.

To make it more interesting I've bought all the required stuff to smoke and put it right in front of the couch. I've always said it was easy to quit, time to see if I can actually act like I talk. :P

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great decision Arjen! You can do it!

Congrats! :D

Yesterday I was remembering when I quit smoking while running on the morning and I didn't remember if it was two or three years ago... In fact, I don't remember when I smoked. I remember the day because it was after a 10km race but not the year. Curious.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Connecitcut has had a smoking ban in all public places - including restaurants and bars - for a few years and what a difference! I didn't really even notice the effect the law had on my dining experiences until I went to state that DIDN'T have the ban and all I could smell was smoke!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Good luck Arjen!

Next month, it'll be a year smoke free for me! I still crave once in a blue moon, but the craving passes very quickly and then I'm fine.

Keep it up everyone! You'll feel so much better!!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It's less than a month now till the new anti-smoking regulations come into force here in the UK - from July 1st, you won't be allowed to smoke in pubs, clubs, restaurants, at work or anywhere considered a public place - seems like NOW would be a really good time to quit, if you haven't already!

:D :D :D

Vic

We've had that for a while here, but come November 15th, the hospital I work at is banning smoking out doors as well. No smoking on the grounds and employees will be required to clock out to leave the grounds. This means they won't get paid for that time and it will be in 15 minute blocks. Not a problem for me as I don't and have never smoked. Well, on second thought, I'm gonna have to be around those unhappy people.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Quiting has been easier then anyone could ever imagine, still dont get what the fuss was all about. In any case, when they new EU laws will be applied I might take up smoking again, but just in bars and pubs. I'm all for banning smoking in real public places but a pub-owner should be able to make his own rules of hospitality in his own privately owned pub. The only choice you and I should have is whether we enter or not.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Here it is as you say. If the bar/pub is greater than some 100 squeared meters (I'm not sure about the number) it has to be a special smoking zone. If not, the owner decides if it is smoking or non-smoking bar/pub. In reality, all the small bar/pubs are for smokers.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

How about an update? Has everyone who quit "stayed quit?"

I wish the blanket non-smoking regulations would spread further, faster. Two nearby cities have non-smoking ordinances that cover most restaurants unless they make more than a certain percentage of their profits from alcohol, in which case they are considered more of a bar. But those cities are the exception rather than the rule around here. My own town doesn't yet have an ordinance. :(

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have to hold my hands up yet again and admit to failure. Started again sometime late June - that "odd one" or "I've only had a couple..." soon crept back up to 20-a-day.

However - a few weeks back, we (Marilyn and me) started going to quit smoking sessions at a local health centre. First week, as a smoker, my Carbon Monoxide level was around 30ppm - pretty high. We were given Nicquitin lozenges, which actually seem to be working - Marilyn hasn't smoked for two weeks (and she's usually the first to cave in!) and I haven't had one for three days and counting.

After two weeks, my CO level was down to 15ppm - half of what it was. After 4 weeks, 8ppm, and last time, 10 days ago, it was down to 3ppm. Marilyn's over the same period were 35, 20, 15 and 2ppm. Anything less than 4 ppm is classed as normal, so this time - fingers crossed - we might just make it.

We're due to call again next tuesday for CO levels to be measured, and to pick up more lozenges.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Quiting has been easier then anyone could ever imagine, still dont get what the fuss was all about. In any case, when they new EU laws will be applied I might take up smoking again, but just in bars and pubs. I'm all for banning smoking in real public places but a pub-owner should be able to make his own rules of hospitality in his own privately owned pub. The only choice you and I should have is whether we enter or not.

+1 if this trend continues here in the US
I'm an ex-smoker myself also but i'm not one of those militant types, i actually like it when a member of my bowling team lights one up. (it's the only time i ever get to enjoy the aroma) 8)

Glad to hear you are still trying to quit Vic, hope it works for you this time.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have stayed 'quit'. it was two years in August. I have saved so much money. well, the money isn't piling up; it is going out the door as usual. I feel better, I have wind to 'sing' and I don't stink when I come in from an outdoor puff break.
last January my furnace died. right in mid winter. it was an old furnace (boiler) covered in asbestos wrap. that had to be removed first. that bill came to 1200$. ironically that was the exact amount of money I did not spend on smokes.
cigs are 5.40 a pack here. one pack every two days. I am rich. but I am not tripping on piles. where that dough go?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

More numbers. Three years. I quit after my first 10km race. I also some exercise when I was an active smoker. Last sunday I ran a 10km race and I improved my personal record. In these three years I improved almost nine minutes.

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 12