Clear all

Giving up smoking - again.....

167 Posts
44 Users
0 Likes
27.4 K Views
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Good luck Vic. Hope it works out. All of those grand-children you have, plus the other two coming should be some good inspiration to quit.

Paul
Vic, as I mentioned on another thread, my dad died of lung cancer at age 54 thanks to cigarettes. I was 21, still in college. He wasn't there when I graduated or when I got married or when my children were born, but the worst of all is that my kids got robbed of ever getting to know the great man who was their grandpa. He died 25 years ago on Dec 16, 2006, and I still miss him.

Quit and stay motivated for your loved ones, the ones who love and need you.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Thankfully, I never got hooked on them. From what I see, it is harder to quit than herion! Good luck - your lungs will thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Good luck, Vic!

Wish me luck too, I had my last cigarette at 11:50 PM Dec 31.

30 years of about three packs a day, I've slowed down to a pack and a half.

Wife is going to put the screws to me, she's never smoked.

I'm going to try to put the money from my habit into a box and see how much I can save in three months and maybe donate it to charity.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Hey I forgot to send a check.

Vic and Tele, how many consecutive days did you make it last year from January 1? I need to cut a check to the American Cancer Society.

Vic, I'll do it again this year, a dollar a day. One change to the rules for this year, I'll only cut the check if you make it all the way through. Charity of your choice.
I believe it was the 11th or so when I quit last year, so 355 days for me. Hang in there Vic if I could quit a 2 1/2 pack a day habit you can do it too

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'll mail the check tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Good luck, Vic!

Wish me luck too, I had my last cigarette at 11:50 PM Dec 31.

30 years of about three packs a day, I've slowed down to a pack and a half.

Wife is going to put the screws to me, she's never smoked.

I'm going to try to put the money from my habit into a box and see how much I can save in three months and maybe donate it to charity. I did the same, bought myself a couple of nice guitars as a reward for not smoking with what I saved

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Vic, All the best with it mate. I stopped on the 18th September last year. (Have you noticed that everyone who has quit can tell you exactly when they had their last smoke!) Last night at midnight I was offered a nice big fat cigar and turned it down so I am hopefully over it now.

Just remember take it one day at a time and don't give up giving up :D

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The thing that stops me from even considering smoking is the stench.
My mother smokes and, when I go to visit her, I spend most of the time just trying to breath - literally everything reeks of old tobacco.
I spend a week, when I get back home, just trying to get the stench out of me and my clothes.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Keep it up guys, it is well worth it to quit. Not only for the health, but also for the tons of $$$ you save! Think of the equipment you can buy with the $$. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

The thing that stops me from even considering smoking is the stench.
My mother smokes and, when I go to visit her, I spend most of the time just trying to breath - literally everything reeks of old tobacco.
I spend a week, when I get back home, just trying to get the stench out of me and my clothes.
I know how that is. My sister smokes like a chimney and we had a Christmas gathering at her house. My daughter who has asthma spent the afternoon hiding out in the basement because she couldn't tolerate it, and the minute we got home, my son who normally has to be prodded to shower, jumped in the shower because he couldn't stand the reek of his hair and clothing.

Good Luck to you, too, Racetruck! And anyone else who is making the commitment to be healthier (and richer) without the cigs. Be resolved. You can do it!

Good job on quitting, Teleplayer and Rik! The lungs you're saving are not just your own. :D

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

I never smoked ciggarettes but i chewed a can or 2 a day and i threw that habit out my window last august. After a couple of weeks i felt really changed and could smell and taste better. Quiting is really its own reward but recently i bought a amp with the money i saved. I dont know if this helps for cigarettes but i picked up some jolly rancher candys and it seemed to take away my craving. Good luck and take it one day at a time.

ReplyQuote
(@6was9)
Trusted Member

Good luck......You can do it.

" I'm not sure what happened, it was tuned when I bought it."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Kudos to you, Nick, for honoring the quitters' efforts with your pocketbook! 8)

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

If that doesn't sound aversive enough, write the cheque out to Ricky Ponting, Captain of the Australian Cricket team, and I'll pass it on for you if necessary... :twisted:

That's just evil. :P

Good Luck, Vic.
You can do it and we're all behind you. :D

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Vic - the most noble of resolutions.

I don't know you from Adam, but I'll jump on the charity bandwagon. My Grandmother had Diabetes, so I'll donate a dollar a day this year to the American Diabetes Association for every day you stay smoke-free.

http://diabetes.org/home.jsp

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 12