95 Posts
62 Users
0 Likes
19.4 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Age UGH Celebrated my 491/2 birthday

So which was it? Four-hundred-and-ninety-first or four-hundred-and-ninety-second? I suppose if you're that advanced in years, one birthday's pretty much the same as another....you do look remarkably well for it though!

Sorry Kath - couldn't resist!

No, Vic, it is a half birthday. Specifically, 491 / 2 = 245.5 ;) :lol:

Sorry Kath! :D

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I'm 57 years old and have been playing for about 5 1/2 years, actually now that I think about it its pretty close to 6 years. I'm a native New Yorker, lived in the city until 1977 then moved out on Long Island. I play mostly acoustic, My instruments include: Martin D-15, Seagul S6+Folk, Washburn D10S12DL 12 string, Jay Turser (Jr) 12 string, Martin LXME, Washburn Rover, a Yamaha Pacifica electric with a Kustom practice amp, an old Hondo Bass, 2 ukes, and a keyboard that I can't play. Actually I can't play any of them very well, I'm the eternal beginner, but maybe GN will help me change that.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i was trying to avoid rthis but here goes:

I'm 49.
Been playing if you can call it that, for about 5 years.
I have Fender Highway One telecaster, a PRS Santana SE, a Martin 000C-16GTE, a Seagull S6+Folk, a Daisy Rock 12 string electric, an Ibanez bass which i probably have to sell because it's too heavy for me to play, a Seagull M6 also for sale, and a no-name 1/2 size acoustic.
My amp is a Fender Bues Jr.
I live in New York City.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So far, based on the poll...we've got somewhat of the "mature" crowd as our main blogging guitarists. (Yes, I use that term loosely) Makes me feel good. Now I don't get that "Man..what are you doing trying to learn how to play guitar at your age" feeling anymore. Based on the hundreds of threads that I've read on the site, there doesn't seem to be any generation gap with the younger guys and gals here. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing! Thank Al Gore for inventing the internet!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Maybe they just come unstrung.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So far, based on the poll...we've got somewhat of the "mature" crowd as our main blogging guitarists. (Yes, I use that term loosely) Makes me feel good. Now I don't get that "Man..what are you doing trying to learn how to play guitar at your age" feeling anymore.

Yes, I think that 'play electric guitar' has probably become the new 'sports car' as the popular mid-life crisis solution of choice. :wink: (Old age crisis my case...)

Apart from a few senility induced tendencies - such as forgetting chord progressions, and doing odd things like checking your avatar to see if the candle has burned down to your head yet... :shock: ... there seems no reason at all not to take up music (or most things) at any age. This year guitar, next year ascents of Mount Everest and Elle McPherson (not necesarily in that order..)

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

What I play (guitar and amp): Takamine F349 acoustic; PRS CE 24; Squire Strat; Mesa/Boogie Studio .22
How long have I been playing: Well... this is about the 4th time I've learned/played guitar and about the longest I've stuck with it at 19 months ... and having a blast. Been jamming with some guys at work and I'm about to take part in some 'band-like' jams around the area. Wish me luck :o

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Yes, I think that 'play electric guitar' has probably become the new 'sports car' as the popular mid-life crisis solution of choice. :wink: (Old age crisis my case...)
Chris

Who can afford a sports car or a Harley Davidson these days? :lol:

Once upon a time I did look forward to joining the Ulysses Motor Cycle Club (you have to be 50 to become a member) 'cause I love their motto - Grow Old Disgracefully.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Playing about 44 years
Meaford Ontario Canada (south shore Georgian Bay)
Guitars:
Washburn Woodstock A/E
Takamine EG334SEC A/E
Epiphone LP Custom
Epiphone BB King Lucille
Effects:
M-Audio Black Box Reloaded with foot pedal
Roland Rhythm 77
Amps
Fender J.A.M.
Fender Acoustasonic Jr.
PA amp-Yamaha 6 channel mixer w. Yorkville 4 ft. columns.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Playing about 44 years
Meaford Ontario Canada (south shore Georgian Bay)

Hey Netzok,

Here's one who defied the rule, and made it past 61 :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yes, I think that 'play electric guitar' has probably become the new 'sports car' as the popular mid-life crisis solution of choice.

It's a lot easier to take those mid-life crisis male menopause blues out on a guitar than a bike or car.... and a lot safer, too!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It's a lot easier to take those mid-life crisis male menopause blues out on a guitar than a bike or car.... and a lot safer, too!

Vic
You could get a song out of that Vic... 8) Mid-life Male Menopause Blues.

"Don't need no stinkin' sports car, don't need no stinkin' bike
Just gimme my Squier Tele, and turn on the amp and mic".... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Vic

"I'm 44 years old with a chip on my shoulder, thought I'd get wise but I just got older
Can't see my feet can't touch my toes, need a 25 yr old woman to heal my woes
I got those mid-life crisis male menopause blues"

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well come on you two, you've got half a song - get it finished!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Vic

"I'm 44 years old with a chip on my shoulder, thought I'd get wise but I just got older
Can't see my feet can't touch my toes, need a 25 yr old woman to heal my woes
I got those mid-life crisis male menopause blues"

Sound like the Blues...

I hear a heart-beat shuffle and a harmonica 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 7