GN Smokers Support

287 Posts
41 Users
0 Likes
39.9 K Views
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Tele, that is a sweet guitar.

Rahul, you may be misunderstanding. The money is going to charity.

Although one of my previous employers offered $1000 to anyone who quit smoking. I thought about taking it up just to quit.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

By the way THis is my reward if I stay smoke free for a year

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/512160/

Ahrg - that is one nice sigar, oh excuse me, guitar. Maybe I should quit smoking too. Let's see - with the ridiculous prices here in Norway $1199 is around 119,9 packets - think I have to quit for at least two years, or start smoking much more before I quit... ;)

Good luck Tele!
You know quitting is not really difficult - I've done it many times ;)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Although one of my previous employers offered $1000 to anyone who quit smoking. I thought about taking it up just to quit.

Now that's corny isn't it nick :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I'm sure you can do it teleplayer. The hardest part is the beginning but keep in mind that fighting it will get easier so once the hard part is over, you're home free. I'm glad to see people are quitting smoking. EVeryone on my mom's side smokes haevily in Lebanon, that's about 20 relatives, which is really sad. And in NYC, my cousins' parents have heavily smoked before and after their children were born, their oldest is 17 now, having their own childrene exposed to secondhand smoking, even as infants and growing up, jsut really saddens me and is soemthing I find terribly wrong. So one last time, don't give up, it'll make everyone happier.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I have now been an official smoke-free zone for 39 hours, 18 mins, 41 secs....slapped a patch on at the stroke of midnight, New Year's Eve/Day - sometime during the day it fell off, which I suppose is a good thing - there I was, reassured by the fact I was wearing a patch, when I wasn't - so I left it off last night instead of putting a fresh one on, psychologically I'm already ahead of the game....

After being challenged by Nick and Paul, I rose to the bait and I've promised to donate £1 per day I remain a non-smoker (I am not an ex-smoker, I haven't quit, I AM A NON-SMOKER...!) so I'm looking to donate £365 to Cancer Research at the year's end....

What I'm going to do is put a £1 coin in a jar for every day I don't smoke, I'll photograph said jar every day, you can see it build...I'll post the link here...but first I need a new lead for my camera, which I'll only be able to get next Monday....

Now with the rest of the money I save....I dunno, haven't really thought of it yet.....I know I want a 30W cube amp (do Roland make them any bigger?) but I think I'm OK for guitars at the moment....

Ah there's nothing like a good incentive to help you along....

Now 39 hrs 30 mins....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Tele, that's one sweet guitar, as previously noted - nothing like setting your sights high eh!!!

I rather like the look of this one.....

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6118T&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

No prices on the Gretsch Pages, but I'll look around....

BTW, cigarettes are roughly twice the price in Britain as they are on the other side of the pond......!!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And vic you can pour all your experiences about leaving smoking in a song and post it over SSG

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

but I think I'm OK for guitars at the moment....
Vic

Is that actually possible! :shock: :lol: :wink:

Way to go Vic & Tele!! We're all pulling for you guys! :D 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Tele, that's one sweet guitar, as previously noted - nothing like setting your sights high eh!!!

I rather like the look of this one.....

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6118T&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

No prices on the Gretsch Pages, but I'll look around....

BTW, cigarettes are roughly twice the price in Britain as they are on the other side of the pond......!!!!

Vic

$1,860 on musicians friend

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I feel motivated to stop doing something now... but i don't know what

:)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I am an ex smoker, I guess you can say.

It was peer pressure for me and at the time deemed cool so everyone started smoking when we hit Junior high school. :roll:

I started smoking in 7th grade (first year of junior high around 1969). I smoked all throughout jr. and sr. high school.

One day about a year and a half after graduating high school I was working my job and while finishing a pack I thought to myself, "Why do I do this? I'm not enjoying it and it's more trouble than it's worth." They were only 35 cents a pack at that time. That day I decided to not buy any more and the only way I would smoke would be if a friend would offer one. Great friends. I was never offered a cig again and have never smoked since. After 8 year of smoking, I never got addicted. :shock:

There is a terrible down side to giving up smoking. As all your senses take to the new cleanliness of your newly found freedom from the smoking world, at least in my situation, I now HATE the smell of cigarette smoke to the point of almost being rude to smokers. Mostly restaurants. We still have smoking sections in restaurants where as most of the US if figuring out that it's okay to have smoke free environments and people will still come.

It never fails, we are sitting down having an enjoyable meal and the next thing you know, all you do is smell cigarette smoke. It's now one of the most despising odors of all for me. Go figure since I play in bars almost every weekend. That still seems to be the haven for most smokers. I doubt that'll ever change so I have to put up with it as it is today. Another annoying byproduct is when I get home from the gigs I simply wreak of cigarette smoke and have to leave all my clothes downstairs in the laundry room so I hopefully don't smell up the entire house.

The smell permiates everything. After a night of gigging, I usually leave my drums in the truck. I've learned that if I leave all the windows down within 2 days the smell sort of goes away but not completely.

So anyway I warn you that quitting may cause resentment towards other who still smoke. You'll never be able to fully get away from the smell and it will either be a lure to try to entice you to light up again or make you sick and wanting to leave that premesis as soon as you can. It's a bad deal.

But, as more and more people realize the unpleasantness of it, I believe less will continue to smoke. Now if we could just get the youth of the world to wake up before it's too late....

Thanks for letting me rant.... :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

I quit 10 years ago. The gum didn't work, I just chewed 5 pieces and smoked like a chimney at the same time.

What worked for me was first, deciding that I really wanted to quit, and second, replacing that hand to mouth habbit with something more healthy - water. I just walked around with a bottle of water all the time for a few months. Any time I wanted to suck on something I would suck on that. I drank LOTS of water.

I still need something to drink near me almost all the time. So I replaced one habit with another. I can live with this one.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I quit 10 years ago. The gum didn't work, I just chewed 5 pieces and smoked like a chimney at the same time.

What worked for me was first, deciding that I really wanted to quit, and second, replacing that hand to mouth habbit with something more healthy - water. I just walked around with a bottle of water all the time for a few months. Any time I wanted to suck on something I would suck on that. I drank LOTS of water.

I still need something to drink near me almost all the time. So I replaced one habit with another. I can live with this one.
I've been doing the same thing but with Orange Juice instead of water. I'm spending more time in the bathroom than at my desk.
Another unlooked for Side-Benefit of quitting. :lol:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@nroberts)
Reputable Member

I've been doing the same thing but with Orange Juice instead of water. I'm spending more time in the bathroom than at my desk.
Another unlooked for Side-Benefit of quitting. :lol:

Watch your weight dude. I gained over 100 lbs in a matter of months. Part of that was just the age I was and the other things I was also quitting at but a lot had to do with my need to stuff things into my face. I've never lost that weight although I have managed to turn much into muscle instead of fat, I'm still fat...or at least overweight. Happens like THAT before you even notice.

You might think about some sort of excercize activity if you don't already have one. I ended up with martial arts and love it but it was years after the fact and I was already overweight and out of shape. Will help get rid of all that crap your going to puke up too...nasty ugly brown chunks of lung vomit :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

REMOVED

Later comments on post already deleted.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 20