Notifications
Clear all

Good guitar for beginner

32 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have a Squier Affinity Tele, and it plays very well. Nice Tele tone. I did have to take it in for some fret work when I 1st got it, as the frets where sticking out from the side ot the neck. Now it plays like a dream.
My son has a Squier Strat, but got it used, so not sure how the frets came on that one. I don't like the pickups myself. I'd change them if it was my guitar. My son plays it with a lot of distortion most of the time, and thinks it sounds fine.
Both good buys in my opinion.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hello again everyone!

I've went to a music store today and i've allready figured out 2 things:

- It makes no different if i'll take a right or left handed guitar (so i'll take a right handed guitar)

- My acoustic guitar is still in good shape, needs a little bit of tuning and a small repair, but then he'll be as good as new!

I've searched and compared alot today, i've asked advance to some friends, ... .

However, i've got a "problem": 2 of my friends are both relatively experienced guitar players, and this is what they say:

The first one says an ibanez beginner guitar has better quality sound... (so actually he prefers an ibanez guitar above a squier guitar)

The second one has taken a look at the ibanez models i've selected AND the squier model Vic suggested and he prefers also the squier model... :P
The second one also says an ibanez is for heavier types of music 'which i'm not into...' He also sais with the squier you can play all the kinds of music you like

So basically i'm hesitating...

Is the statement of the second one true or the first one?

And i've got a strange question: Are these guitars the same? If yes, it's only the amp that's different then?

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/EUR/Fender-Squier-Affinity-Strat-HSS-Pack-Black-150-DSP-Amp-Zubehoer/art-GIT0013173-000

and

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/BEF/Fender-Squier-Affinity-Sp.-Strat-Pack-Black-15G-Amp-Zubehoer/art-GIT0013170-000

Thx alot!

Kenneth

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that is why we
call it the present!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Ibanez make some fine guitars, but the majority seem to cater to the "metal" market - just look at how many of the heavy metal mob use Ibanez guitars. Having said that, they have some fine jazz boxes and semi acoustic models. Where they seem to have a hole in their product line is in the single-coil arena (I'm sure that they do have single coil offerings, but not in the vanguard of their range). Humbuckers are fine pickups, but do lack the clarity and openness of a single-coil.

Squiers and the host of copies of the Fender originals offer single-coil options - clean, clear sounds that will get you into distortion, but not a long way. You can cover that weakness up with a good pedal.

A lot of Ibanez guitars use a very slim neck profile, that is far too thin for a lot of people. Squiers have a bit more to get hold of, but are, still, nothing close to an acoustic neck (even acoustics are managing to get slim necks, due to the support from the truss rod).

I'm not trying to sway you in any particular direction, just throwing out thoughts, that might give you a new perspective.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And i've got a strange question: Are these guitars the same? If yes, it's only the amp that's different then?

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/EUR/Fend ... 013173-000

and

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/BEF/Fend ... 013170-000

They look to be the same guitars, or at least very similar - both have humbuckers in the bridge position, with single-coils in the middle and neck positions. The amps are different - I do know the Frontman amp has a gain control AND a distortion control. It's a decent amp with a fair bit of power.

You might want to try looking at modelling amps, though - you'd be surprised how close you can get to Slash's sound on Sweet Child Of Mine with a Squier Tele using the neck pickup, and the amp on the "Rectifier" setting with a lot of gain!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Vic, seems to be some confusion with those links. One box shows a SSS configuration, and the other shows the HSS configuration. However, both descriptions say HSS. If the description is right, then they are the same.

Kenneth, just in case you don't know. SSS is three single coils, and HSS is 2 singles and 1 humbucker at the bridge. Lots of people say this increases versatility.

The amps are different. Vic, that Frontman 15G has volume and gain, not distortion and gain, or is that what you are referring to? Here's a full description of that amp. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-15G-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480667

At any rate, the first link shows a Fender Bullet 150. It's got some built in effects, which are neat to have. Don't need them for a while though, but still fun little toys to play with, so to speak. Here's that amp I think. Does "15 digitale effecten" mean 15 digital effects? If so, this is probably it. http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2367700030 Looks like it;s discontinued over here at least.

Have you looked at any particular Ibanez guitars? If so, which one(s)?

I have 1 each squire and Ibanez. I like them both. I guess it'd be hard to go wrong. Congrats on your accoustic being usable too. That puts you ahead of the game. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Allright, it's time for me to choose :P

After the helpful advice i've decided to go for the starter package that Vic brought up a few posts ago :)

Ibanez is not my style anyways and i think it's a good way to start with that package!
It's also helpful i can play with a headset on and therefore, silent! No problem to turn up the volume at home but i think the rest of the inhabitants of my studio at university won't be happy when i practice my awfull sounds :D (awfull at least for the first few months i think :twisted: )

I do have one last question, and it's the very very last concerning the picking of a guitar:

I'm gonna order my guitar on the internet from music store in Koln...
So basically i'm gonna get a guitar which i've never seen before...
I've received some advice on how to see the specific guitar i've received is a good one, they'll gonna come also to get a closer look at the guitar i received to judge if he's worth keeping!

No problem if he's in perfect condition, but what happens when they decide for example the sound is horrible?
Yes, music store "guarantees" to get myself a new guitar if i'll send it back within 2 days... but i have some doubts if they'll be that happy if i'll send it back "just for having a bad sound :? "

And i think they will be very angry should this happen twice or three times in a row :?
Or will they do this without asking questions or making trouble?

And i've also read they're legally tied to 30 days of return period... but on the site it just says 2... :?

Sorry for these last questions, but it's something i've been bothered with since a few days...

As to answer the question of mr. rparker, these are the 2 models i've considered (of ibanez):

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/EUR/Ibanez-Jumpstart-Paket-GSA-6-JU-JB-Blue/art-GIT0014010-000

and

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/EUR/Ibanez-Jumpstart-GRX-70-DXJU-Black-Night/art-GIT0011768-000

Kind regards,

Kenneth

call it the present!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

After the helpful advice i've decided to go for the starter package that Vic brought up a few posts ago The Squire Affinity with the 15W amp? Looks like a winner.

Only way it could be bad is if something doesn't function and if it's way out of range as far as the set-up goes. If it sounds bad, it's probably a bum string and an easy fix. Many advise people to change them anyhow. Bottom line is, I would not worry one bit. Even a little bit off on a set up is still a very playable guitar. Better than one of those cheap sets at the American wholesale clubs. :evil:

Oh, I noticed on one or more of the packages that it doesn't come with an electronic tuner. I'd strongly suggest one. Even a cheapie. One with both a line-in and a mic in (no need to plug in) so that you can use it with your accoustic too.

One last bit of rambling from me and I'll go away. Does your local store have this set you decided on? Be a lot easier, and, you'd be able to maybe conjur up a free or reduced price set-up (in other words, it would relieve most of your worries). Otherwise, press the submit button and get that thing coming!!!!!!!!!!

8) 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thx alot for the advice!

I've heard of a fairly large store not so far away, but i've never been there before...
Maybe i'll get a look there before i buy online...

One last question before i get going:

Is there such an electric tuner and mic that mr. rparker talked about in the package i'll take?

http://www.musicstore.de/nl_NL/BEF/Fender-Squier-Affinity-Sp.-Strat-Pack-Black-15G-Amp-Zubehoer/art-GIT0013170-000

Thx for all the help everyone! It really helped me alot!

call it the present!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yes there is a chromatic tuner included; if memory serves me right, it could well be a Qwik-tune tuner, which does come with a built in mic, so you can tune an acoustic or electric with it.

Seems to be a bit of confusion over pick-ups; take a look at the Squier Site, that particular package would seem to have an SSS configuration.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301605006 #

Hope you're happy with your purchase; I know I was with mine. I'd had a few electric guitars before - this was the first one I remember being a pleasure to play instead of a chore! Remember, though, even with a guitar that's set up nicely for you, you've still got to put the work in, and the practise - that's one thing there's no substitute for!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What's the difference between:

- three single coil pickups and

- 2 forward single-coils +
Bridge humbucker

And what would be the best choice?
I've checked 2 reviews on youtube and the first one= 3 single coil (the one i've nearly decided to pick has alot more buz than the second one= 2 single coil + bridge humbucker...

first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlKLCQOVFbw

second one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICwCTUiHyHo

Also, the second package has a 150 DSP Amp, i'm assuming that's a better amp than the Frontman 15 G Amp from the first package

The second package costs 20 euros more than the first one, it's worth it or not?

Kind regards,

call it the present!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Kenneth,

The Stratocasters have three single coils, the Les Pauls (and similar models) have two humbuckers. Usually the bridge humbucker is used, for example, for rock solos, it has a special and typical tone. Thus, some Strats use a humbucker in the bridge position. They try to mix the best of both worlds.

By the way, you can also make great rock solos with a single coil in the bridge position and you could also get a tone similar to the Teles when use that pick up.

You will get different tones.

And welcome to GN! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

Kenneth, I have that pack you're considering, and it is three single coils. For a very much "beginner" level guitar and amp, you can make some really nice sounds with it. As far as it not having the humbucker, you can play with the pickup selection and tone and the amp tones to get some somewhat heavier sounds. Like me, you said you're not really into the very heavy stuff, so I would bet you won't miss the humbucker. I haven't, at least not really.

I don't know about the difference between the two amps. I have the Frontman 15G, and it is a passable at-home practice amp. It's got the gain control and a volume control just on the gain channel, along with a volume control for the clean channel. It also has treble, middle, and bass settings, so you can fiddle with it for a while to get a pretty decent sound for what it is. I've played with some amps that are clearly better (including one tube amp that gave me bad GAS), but the 15G does the job it's made for.

The included tuner has both an input and a mic to tune either electric or acoustic. The pack will be everything you need to get up and running. I've had it for about a year, and it's still enough guitar for me. While I already want another electric, I still don't need another electric.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So basically there are only advantages for the humbucker + 2 single coils when compared to the 3 single coil one?

call it the present!

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

So basically there are only advantages for the humbucker + 2 single coils when compared to the 3 single coil one?
I wouldn't say so. Not so much "advantages" as "differences." You gain some heavy rock sounds with a humbucker in the bridge position, you lose some beautiful classic Strat "quack" sounds. Either way you can fiddle with options and tone controls to get a near enough approximation to what you lose with either choice. If you think you're really going to want to play some heavier rock, get the HSS Strat. If you doubt that's going to be a major focus, sticking with the SSS Strat will give you loads of versatility and let you play some great music. Personally, I sometimes really enjoy a slightly overdriven bridge single coil, and wouldn't want to give that up for a humbucker on my Strat.

Though I would like some humbucker tones, too, and just may need to get another guitar so I have even more options. And maybe another so I have some nice jazzy hollow body tones. And maybe a 12 string. And some pedals. Etc.

ReplyQuote
(@kenneth-v)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello every1!

I've went to the local store yesterday to buy my first guitar :P

I've had some kind of luck cause the "guide" was an experienced guitar player and sounded pretty honest to me :)
He put together a starter package himself and i've searched some reviews of the guitar and the amp and they all have pretty good comments on it!

The guitar: Cort G-200 (3 single coils like i wanted and i had a good feeling about it... :P )

The amp: Line 6 Spider III 15W (i think it's a very good amp to begin with, though i don't know much about it :) )

He played on the guitar with the amp he'd suggested and it sounded pretty good, though i have to admit it always sounds better when a good guitarist plays on it...
Then i played it and it felt comfortable, actually more than some others i've tried there...

I didn't buy online cause i think it's better for a beginner like me to actually be able to go in a store and ask some advice... If something needs to be fixed, etc. it's alot harder to communicate it online...

Thx for the advice every1! I hope i made a good choice... :)

call it the present!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3