Clear all

Good Price On Fender HRD-Tweed

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Mods, put where you care to put or delete at will. :)

Anyhow, after clicking a link from the beginner's section, It brought me into a site I've never been before. I clicked on the clearance link and saw this gem. I know we have many HRD fans amongst us (I prefer the Blues Deluxe for some retarded reason)

$550 SHIPPING INCLUDED??? :shock:
http://www.wwbw.com/Fender-Tweed-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Guitar-Combo-Amp-(Closeout)-i108823.music

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

I have owned a Hot Rod Deluxe over 5 years now, and it is my go-to gig amp. It is very powerful with huge warm tone that will fill any room. The clean channel is excellent. The Drive channel is not bad, but not my cup of tea. I always use pedals for overdrive or distortion into the clean channel. But the amp has been very dependable.

Monday I had the day off and was watching the Morning Show on NBC. They had the B-52s playing live. Their guitar player was using two tweed Hot Rod Deluxes. :D

And I didn't see any pedalboard, I think the guy was using the Drive channels for a low-gain overdrive, they played a few numbers with a Punk type tone. I wasn't sure what kind of guitar he was using, but it looked like it had humbuckers. It was awesome.

You can just see the amps in the lower left corner of this recent video at 0:43 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6UGef0bNgI

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a fair price nowadays. two ten inch speakers? a friend has a DeVille tweed. really sweet amp. it can cover many size venues.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've sure enjoyed my Blues Deluxe and am not looking to switch. I just could not believe the price and thought I'd share in case anyone was looking.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

The HRD was supposed to be a hot-rodded version of the Blues Deluxe, but the Drive channels were never that popular. It is sort of an older 70's sounding overdrive. You can nail Santana perfect, but nothing heavier. Lots of folks complained that the Blues Deluxe had a better overdrive, so they brought it back. As far as the clean channel, I have played both and they are almost identical.

I have always been a fan of Marshall tone over Fender, but Marshalls seem to be more problematic and cost MUCH more. But I loved that tone. Then I picked up the Marshall Guvnor Plus II pedal and it was great. They claim it is the preamp section of a JCM800. I don't know about that, but it really will make my HRD sound like a Marshall, or so close only a tone freak can tell the difference. So now I use my clean channel with the Guvnor and have the Marshall tone at 1/4 the price.

So, if you love that classic Marshall crunch, try this pedal and see how great your Fender amp will sound. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So, I'm following ColoradoFenderBender's thread with you and others. I'll hi-jack my own thread instead of his.

Is there a bad tube amp (and/or maker) out there? I think your overheating Marshall might have been the only negative comment I've heard.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I've heard that the Tweed Blues Deluxe's clean channel breaks up a bit earlier....
I've read lots of complaints that it lacks headroom.

Certainly something that I would never complain about;
From all that I have read about it, it seems to act like an old single channel tube amp
and gets louder til about 7.... then starts to break up.
It is a 'Blues' amp after all :wink:

And everyone seems to like the tube breakup of the clean channel over the 'drive' channel.

Looking for info on the lacquered tweed/Jensen speaker HRD that Roy posted here, I ran across this:
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/faq.html

Which, at the bottom has the spec differences between the HRD and BD amps (for all you amp geeks :mrgreen: )

Hope you (Wes) and Roy can get something out of it 8)

Ken

ps - I was able to open that link when Roy first posted it.... Can't seem to get to it now; not even on the site itself.
Maybe they're already out of stock.

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

I would listen to Wes he is the man when it comes to tone. I don't particularly like my HRD's tone, but that mostly because I'm tone illiterate. I know what sound I'd like I just can't ever find it. The few times Wes came by and tweaked it, it sounded OK but i never seem to be able to recreate that tone myself. I find my tone is always on the bright trebly side which annoys the crap out of me. Part of it is because of the Strat and part from the amp. But even then if I had the perfect amp/guitar/tone I still have the same inept fingers doing the playing so it doesn't really matter much.

The biggest problem for me is that if you're playing a lot of different music I need to change the tone quickly and I'm not smart enough to do that.

I'm exaggerating a bit but I still would like a Marshall half stack some day, if for no other reason than to annoy the neighbors.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris

I think your problem is more your Strat than your amp. The Strat is a great and versatile guitar, but I think I know the kind of tones you are after and you really sould look at a guitar with humbucker pickups. I took my Strat to practice this week and it was just too jangly sounding. That is a great sound and a tone that many prefer, but for me, I like a thicker tone. My Faded SG still gets the tone that turns me on most, I even like it better than my LP Studio. The LP is thick, but it doesn't have enough bite, I want that sometimes. The SG is thick and full, but it can bite and cut. Sorry, that is the way I describe it.

I know you own the Guvnor Plus, run that into your clean channel. Turn Presence way up on the HRD, I used to experiment with my HRD and Marshall side by side. I could never get the HRD to sound Marshall, but the closest I came was always by cranking Presence up. And believe it or not, the HRD seemed to have more gain than my Marshall, so you have to keep Gain low.

My normal tone settings on the HRD are: Lows 3-4, Mids 10-12, Highs 6-7, Presence- 8-9, Bright On, Reverb- 2

If you have an EQ pedal, boost 100kHz for big bottom end, cut 200kHz to take out mud. Boost your mids and keep Highs about 0.

Try about 1/2 gain on the Guvnor, boost the Mids, Lows about 1/2, Highs about 2/3. This was the settings I used on your amp when I came by.

Roll off the highs on your Strat just a bit.

Try these recommendations and see if you get a much heavier tone. But you need to get you a humbucking guitar.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wes,

I'll give it a try tonight at "practice". I do have a guitar with humbuckers it's the Jackson that I don't play much because of the Floyd Rose and I have my old entry level Epiphone SG which actually had a decent sound but I haven't touched that guitar in a couple years and one of the screws that adjusts the humbuckers fell off so I need to correct that.

I'm gonna print this out and give it a go.

Your right I'm looking for something closer to the tone you have something with a bit more bit and less of that jangly type Strat sound.

If I can figure out a way to covert a cassette to CD I'm gonna post some of the wife's music...that's heavy..probably to heavy for most people's taste here but she had got an awesome tone...some my ask why don't I just ask her..well she's my wife and we don't talk to each other...HA!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I would listen to Wes he is the man when it comes to tone.

Oh yeah. That's a big 10-4. I've got a thing or two or three copied, pasted, printed and saved from the amp & pedal excursions of last Autumn.

I'm with you two. I like the big and beefy sounds of the humbuckers as well. Probably just because I play my LP the most, but I really feel at home on it.

Roy

ReplyQuote