30 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

He had that guitar forever.

Plus people have abusive relationships.

Why not man and guitar?

I wouldn't do it with any of my guitars though...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

You know, how could a guy love his guitar and be that nasty with it? He seems like a really angry person to me, I don't know about you. I admire is technical ability. He is getting some truly amazing sounds out of that strat. But he's also a bit painful to watch. My guitar's my best friend...I couldn't treat her like that...

The thing with Stevie Ray is that is was a drug addict until 1986 (i think) when he collapsed on stage and almost died. He then checked into a rehabitation clinic, and became sober. He said in an interview (it's in the pamphlet of "In Step") That he got high before recording and some live shows before becoming sober. So, you don't know if that's Stevie slammin' his "Number One", or his drugs.

There's a little history lesson for all you. :P

-Alex

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

So he was only drug-free for like 3 years before he died?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

I can believe that his abuse of his instrumment had something to do with is drug addiction, but it's also part of his legacy the way he treated his guitar, isn't it? was this image made and upheld purly by drugs? did he stop doing it when in his drug-free days before his death? Either way, I feel sorry for him. He sure did look like he was in a lot of pain.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if you listen to th original song, that's actually how it goes. hendrix may have used a different technique to get those noises, or maybe not. he wasn't know for his delicate handling of guitars.

he forgot the part about the majestic cackling hen, though.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Yup, the hendrix version off are you experienced? Very similar to what Stevie's doing there except Hendrix talks over the top and what he's talking about, I have no idea :lol:

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

So he was only drug-free for like 3 years before he died?

Yeah, and he was in rehab for about a year, so he only played drug free for two years, and only recorded two drug free albums, In Step, and the one with his brother (Jimmie Vaughan), I'm pretty sure, he might of done some live ones sober, too.

-Alex

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

You know, how could a guy love his guitar and be that nasty with it? He seems like a really angry person to me, I don't know about you. I admire is technical ability. He is getting some truly amazing sounds out of that strat. But he's also a bit painful to watch. My guitar's my best friend...I couldn't treat her like that...

Me too, especially since that's his "it" guitar! I think any guitar, vintage or not, is made to be played, but pulling on the neck like that?! I mean, it is Hendrix, but..... :shock:

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

Me too, especially since that's his "it" guitar! I think any guitar, vintage or not, is made to be played, but pulling on the neck like that?! I mean, it is Hendrix, but..... :shock:

i think it has more to do with the show. playing live can be hard on guitars. using the mic stand as a slide, bending the neck, scraping the stings againts an amp...i saw a guy the other night just drop his guitar after the song was done. just another show.

when it comes down to it, the guitar is just wood...most things can be fixed anyways. if not there's always other guitars. electrics are not easy to destroy. besides, damage to the body won't effect the sound much if at all. accustic guitars are another story.

ReplyQuote
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

I didn't say I keep my guitar safe because I am afraid of having to pay for a replacement. There are other guitars, of course. But that was SRV's favorite guitar. He(supposedly)loved that guitar. I, for one, own a guitar I built with my father. It's not just wood to me. And I think that any musician, whether built their instrumment or not, should have respect for their instrumment. If a guitar to you is just a piece of wood, why aren't you playing a piece of wood?

And, if all they care about is showmanship, why don't they just wear armor and dance around screaming? oh wait, they do do that.:)

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

lol...good piont Jonny

i guess i do just play a piece of wood....i've never 'loved' a guitar b4. i don't get that attached to objects. i'll play any guitar that sounds and feels good.

some folks are freaky about it. some guys won't let anyone else play their guitars! i never undersood that.....it must be love... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, I throw my guitar around as well. I'm not much of a drug addict, not a violent person and don't consider smashing guitars cool. Why I do it? Because I can't be arsed to take the time and put it down. My guitars are not friends but blocks of woods. If they break I buy a new one. As long as my hands remain intact I don't care whatsoever about scratches and dings on guitars. People who never played any instrument are free to pick up one of my guitars, that's what they are made for.

To each his own I guess. :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Stevie wasn't being abusive to his guitar at all. That is what you have to do to get those sounds. This is exactly how Hendrix did it too. Stevie didn't break his guitar. He was pulling up and down on the Whammy Bar (what you are supposed to do), pulling the springs in the back exactly as Hendrix used to do, using various things for slide like a mic stand (Hendrix did too), using feedback by getting directly in front of his amp.

Yeah, that was just a cover of Hendrix's Third Stone from the Sun.

I've done junk like that at gigs with my Strat. I love it, it is fun and sounds incredible. Strats are strong guitars, doesn't hurt them at all.

Has nothing to do with drugs at all. It's just about getting into the sounds.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I agree with Wes on this, I've had a few Strats in my day and they are built like tanks, Stevie's No. 1 (AKA First Wife) was one of his main guitars, he said it had a soul unlike any other one he had and he really loved that guitar. It was refretted so many times that he had to start using bass frets in it. I have had guitars that I've played for years and I have never had to refret. It astounds me that he must have played so much and with the kind of force to do that! Of course, NOBODY sounded like him either, giving a lot of truth that sound is more in the fingers than in the equiptment. jmho!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Hendrix is who SRV looked at with great admiration. His Hendrix covers showed that.

Ya can't help if a little rubs off! :D

Every artist has another artist that influenced them into being what they are.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2