Great performances

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My wife (a HUGE DMB fan) popped in the DVD Live at Central Park today.

We've seen them MANY times live.

I got to sit down and actually see them (not from an ants distance this time around) and saw what they do. They have SO much FUN! They interact with each other (I see that in concert), but I've never seen what I saw in the concerts what I saw today (I hope that made sense).

So my question is, what bands out there today play with as much passion that you could never see them breaking up in a million years?

They were all over the place having so much fun reflecting on another. How often do you see that?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There's a lot more to being in a band than the act(s) of making music. That's often the 5% (if lucky) of the time good part. Lots of people who can make great music together have a difficult time dealing with each other on a more mundane, day-to-day basis. Performing music is a lot like s** in that regard.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The best band I ever saw - EVER - was a group called 'Chicago Diamonds'. around 1980 or so.

Passion for the music? It wasn't just dripping off them - it was a dang tsunami from the stage. I'd never heard of them, I'd gone to see the main act (Bo Diddley) and they were opening for him.

The second best band I ever saw was around 1985 or so. I'd gone to see the reggae band Third World... and their opening act was a band called Arrow from the Dominican Republic. Ever seen 4000 strangers form a conga line (in traditional auditorium seating!) because the music wouldn't let them sit still? It happened just minutes into their performance, and we all danced until they were done. Third World was fabulous, and I was really impressed by them... but Arrow had magic.

Arrow's still around. Chicago Diamonds broke up immediately after that gig.

Like Greg said, it's probably only 5% music. It's a shame other stuff gets in the way, but that's life.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I re-named the thread to reflect what I meant.

As far as the behind the scenes go, I guess I never put that much thought into it. I just took it as a given that the DMB gel's well because of there on stage presence and there on going music production. Boyd and Dave both cut solo CD's and that has not seemed to interfere with the “band”. To me (and my wife) they construct a show that leaves memories in ones brain. They seem to bring, on stage presence, liveliness, and not a touch of attitude. Just a great show!

That's why I asked if other people have seen/encountered that same type of experience. From a, “trying to be” musician, I appreciate it and acknowledge it. As I'm sure many do, but without having to make long beer runs that cost an arm and a leg I felt like I could enjoy it more.

Then again, I am NOT a people person and I hate large crowds. Last concert we went to (at the Meadow's, CT) there were people pasted out cold…………, but the concert didn't start yet! Waste of $120 (per 2 tickets give or take) if you ask me. I saw so many drunk and disorderly people that I might have lost all interest in viewing live bands.

I guess my original post was reflecting on what I saw as a “back seat passenger”. I was able to see more than what I normally could see and appreciated it that much more.

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

While I enjoy live music I enjoy watching their live DVDs more, especially if they are shot well. I am not a huge Dixie Chicks fan, but if you want to see what can really be done with a concert DVD, rent it. They edited together shots from all the different shows into seamless songs. That and the back-up guitar player does an amazing solo with harmonics on one of the tunes. They are amazing musicians - just too bad they are playing country.

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

The Stones come to mind right off, 40 years together and still touring and having fun with it. Watch the 40 licks tour dvd or the bridges to babylon video. The interaction between keith and ronnie woods is a blast to watch, and seeing both woods and richards making faces at jagger to try and make him laugh is a riot. These guys really enjoy touring and you can feel it.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The funny thing is that Phish had that passion but still broke up.

I have to say though that in recent years, two bands have amazed me with their passion --
Bob Dylan on the neverending tour,
and Paul McCartney -- you could feel the heat from the stage.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

I'd go for Bryan Adams. I've seen him live once, and during that show he managed to get the crowd crazy, on his own, with nothing but his guitar. A real musician imo... (have to add I haven't been to that many decent concerts yet...)

ReplyQuote