Clear all

Great Version Of Melissa

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to Wes, I can play this. Not as good as these guys, of course, but it's still one of my favs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwMLQi-caU

Greg on a 12, Dickey doing some great accoustic lead and then Warren and Dickey doing leads together later on. Wicked awesome stuff. Anytime you see the ABB make a 2:45 song into a 5:45 song, you know there's gonna be some great guitar work.

Enjoy!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Check out David Hodge's article "Double Your Pleasure" on the GN home page. Melissa is sort of a bonus lesson towards the end, and you don't need a 12er to make it sound great. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Melissa is one of my favorite Allman Brothers' song.

Thanks Roy! Great version!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great version of a great song. Thanks for the link, Roy! D'you know, I never even knew Gregg played guitar - I knew he was a pretty good keyboard player, but for some reason I never associated him with guitar, even though he must have learned a thing or two from Duane and all the other fine guitarists who've played with the Allman Brothers over the years.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, Gregg stepped out from behind the organ to play this on guitar at last year's show. They didn't into anything like they did on this video though. Still, it was good. One of my all all-time ABB favs....along with about a dozen others. It's one of two that I can play though. :)
Thanks to Wes, I can play this.
Ooooops. It wasn't Wes who posted this a few years ago. My bad. :oops: :oops: My memory has went to hell.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Check out David Hodge's article "Double Your Pleasure" on the GN home page. Melissa is sort of a bonus lesson towards the end, and you don't need a 12er to make it sound great. 8)

Thanks Slej! I was gonna wait to look on the site until after I got me a 12er, but I'll give it a read tonight.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I love that song. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One of these days, we'll have to get a few of us together on the "Jams" forum and do a version of "Rambling Man" or Midnight Rider" - from scratch, no backing tracks. Sound good to anyone? Sound like a bit of a challenge, or an adventure? Course, we'd have to agree what key, and who's playing which solo, and who's singing which bit - anyone up for that?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like fun to me.

Come to think of it, I have not played much of your song lately. I got the intro down as I remember and might have been working on the verse. (The one we were going to do for the apparently defunct GN Battle Of The Bands. Good winter project anyhow.)

Roy

ReplyQuote