Greatest Electric Rock Guitarist

128 Posts
42 Users
0 Likes
19.6 K Views
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok, this may have been discussed before, but we can try again... although a very subjective subject... who is , in your opinion, the most influential eletric rock n' roll guitarist of all-time?

I know many of you will kill me for this... but I look at the list and see a ton of great guitarist, but I always wonder about Jimi Hendrix... No doubt he was great, played with tons of soul, ahead of his time, etc... but I always wonder if he's revered because he died so young... just an opinionated observation.

Anyway... I'll vote for Jimmy Page. Not the greatest technical guitarist on this list, but he was huge influence on my boy Alex Lifeson, so that's good enough for me.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

No offense, but *yawn*.

Frankly, those names, and dozens more you could put up there, are the rock guitar equivilant of saying "Who's the better painter Monet or Matisse or Other?"

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

We want billy corgan or john frusciante! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@richw)

My preference goes to John Petrucci, both on a technical and songwriting level.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think it's all subjective. And how much influence can vary a lot. Since I grew up in the grunge era, these guitarists have had no influence on me at all. In fact, apart from Van Halen and Keith Richards, I haven't even heard any of them play.

But my vote is for Phoebe on Friends. Anyone that can learn chord shapes based on what they look like as opposed to their names has to be good.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Frankly, those names, and dozens more you could put up there, are the rock guitar equivilant of saying "Who's the better painter Monet or Matisse or Other?"

Funny you should say that, since I think Other's "Morning Prominade" is among paintings finest works.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

take any of those names away and there is an incomplete list.
others can be added.

one influenced another and so on.

onewingangel has a good point. I'll add that the guitarists she and the younger generation is familiar with got their licks from someone else.

I woud vote for Phoebe too, but I'll give this guy a vote:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

My vote goes to John Petrucci. Randy Rhodes a very close second.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

ya grunge guitarist arent really always the mosst techincally sound but someone like cobain was definatly infulencial more for song writing than guitar playing i guess. Mike Mcready is pretty damn good from Pearl Jam, but id say a large portion of modern guitarist are not up the standards of famous guitarist from the 70s all that being said id say most influencial is Jimi or Jimmy but im picking EVH for best overall because he came up with new techincals and popularised all sorts of gear and his sound has definatly been a huge influence on later day bands.

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Most people can't discern the difference among the concepts of their personal favorite, most influential to <insert genre> music, most influential to <insert type/group> musicians, most influential to technique ... and on and on. So the question is pretty much lost on the audience from the get-go.

But thanks for including Jeff Beck, as -- influence aside -- he is a personal favorite.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Aaaahh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Oooooooh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ho ho ho.

Oh, dear, hold me up. Not this bloke again

A :lol:

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

as i was scrolling down to ur post the esteban Geico commerical came on weird...............................

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

*I think* as far as being way ahead of everyone else when they burst onto the scene it has to be Hendrix and Van Halen. By again my opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

I have to say Eddie cause of his shredding in "Eruption".

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 9