Guilty Pleasures

157 Posts
52 Users
0 Likes
24 K Views
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The bashing (and I helped!) poor slej is taking over his professed love of Macca's new single made me think of a game I've played over the years with friends.
It's called Guilty Pleasures and the object is to name the most embarrassing or unhip pop song/s you have a secret love for.
So maybe, if you're a headbanger but love Anne Murray's Snowbird....something along those lines.
I haven't played in a while, so I can only remember one:

Bananarama :oops:
Not any one song; their whole catalogue!
And not just the videos (that sort of makes sense); the songs themselves!

I'm sure I can recall more and worse ones, but please have a go if one springs to mind.
:)

Don

(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

britney spears. all of it.
i cant help it, it's an illness. :oops:

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I can't remember the name but it was the German girl/band that did the song, "99 Red Balloons"

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I can't remember the name but it was the German girl/band that did the song, "99 Red Balloons"

Now we're talking! Nena...Good (bad) one!

Another one for me:

Wang Chung: Dancehall Days and Everybody Wang Chung Tonight?

I remember making an 80's compilation for some friends and the feedback was uniformly:

"Hey, that was great, man, thanks. I'd totally forgotten about the Flying Lizards. But what was the deal with the 2 Wang Chung tracks? Was that some kind of joke?"

"Um, er, no, I actually sorta like those songs....."

Don

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Everybody wang chung tonight!!!!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Everybody wang chung tonight!!!!!

Hey, we've got similar rotten taste! Nena just went on my list for the next time I play the game... :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wang Chung rocks!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The new Paul McCartney song.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nena rocks! :oops:

Rock Lobster - the B52's! 8)

Dan

Edit: Come to think of it, Love Shack too! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Nice topic =) Any Young MC, Tone Loc, or DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince come to mind for me. (Funky Cold Medina, baby!) And Pump Up the Jam. I'd never seek these songs out, but I will totally rock out to them if I hear them in the car. :)

I heard a funny (possibly urban legend) story from one of my college profs about a super competitive professor that's interviewing for a job at a University. He's invited to a dinner party and plays a similar game - "what great literary work have you actually never read"? He admits to having never read Hamlet; he wins the game, but doesn't get the job. ;)

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

The new Paul McCartney song.
you cannot hide. I got a pie for you. :D

Somewhere Over the Rainbow. the way Dorothy sings gets me every time.

then there is Julie Andrews in Sound of Music. any of those songs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I graduated high school in the mid-eighties, so I like to listen to all the bad (really, really bad) top 40 stuff from the 80s. I don't necessarily listen because I think the stuff was "great." I listen because it reminds me of being a teenager! Lots of great memories tied all of those goofy songs! Luckily, I have XM radio in the car, and I can indulge in my shameful secret when I am all alone in the car!

Isn't it amazing that you can barely remember what you did 10 minutes ago, but if a song comes on that you haven't heard in 20 years you still know every word??? For example....."Who you gonna call?" ...............................you got it, "Ghostbusters!" :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

It's the corniest thing in the world. If I happen to be anywhere in public when Butterfly Kisses comes over the loudspeakers I have to bolt for the door because I tear up like some one just kicked me in the solar plexus. Happens every time even though I know it's going to happen and I try to think of anything/everything else. Once I was on the treadmill at the gym and had to pretend to have a coughing fit because it came over my headphones.

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Whenever I hear Anthony Newley I love it. I don't listen to music very much at all (I like playing though :) ), but...oh yah, guilty pleasure - just about all the songs from Saturday Night Fever.

I had to play some of that stuff back in the 70s so I don't know if that counts. I still like it though :)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ooh, nothing quite like the Pointer Sister's 'I'm so excited'. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 11