Clear all

Guitar "Camp"?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Has anybody gone to any of the guitar "camps" / summer workshops? So things like National Guitar Workshop, Stanford Jazz Workshop, Berklee Summer Guitar Week, or one of the smaller workshops.

Did you like it? Was it worth the time and money spent? Did it help your playing? How? If you could go back and make the choice again would you go? What didn't you like about it? What preparation did you do that helped? What preparation did you wish you had done?

Edit - fix urls

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Seems to me that I recall that Musenfreund went to one with Jorma Kaukonen and GE Smith a year or two ago. Musenfreund? :?:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep, I went to the Fur Peace Ranch and spent the weekend in lessons with G. E. Smith working on the blues. It was great and a renewing experience as well. David Lindley and Fareed Haque were there giving workshops as well. Jorma (the Captain) was hanging out but not giving workshops that particular weekend, though he did perform with Smith, Lindley, and Haque. Often both he and Jack Casady are giving workshops as well.

Was it worth it? No doubt about it. I also think the atmosphere might be a bit different there than at some other camps. Jorma's wife, Vanessa, runs the camp and builds time for renewing the psyche and recovering your sense of balance into the time there as well. And the other campers were a great bunch of folks ranging in age from 16 to close to 70. I'd recommend Fur Peach Ranch to you very enthusiastically.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Musenfreund,

Thanks for your input. What do you think the benefits came from? The instruction? The camaraderie of other guitar players and the chances to play with others? The fact that you were able to focus for a week on your music with little outside distraction? I guess by the end of the week you were burned out on lessons? Did you go home with a lot of ideas and direction to push your practice and playing?

I kind of thinking about the National Guitar Workshop program for next summer. Anybody done any NGW courses?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote