Clear all

Guitar Center...

50 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I have been noticing lately that a LOT of you shop at Guitar Center. I just felt the need to throw out an obligatory "support your local music store" message. Sure, Guitar Center does have some great deals, but before you know it your local music shop thats filled with extremely knowledgeable _musicians_ who have been doing what they do for a looong time are gone. Then you see the prices at GC start to climb a little bit.

I cant blame you if there isn't a local shop within a reasonable distance, but if there is, at least stop in and see if they can get their prices a bit closer to what GC does.

Does anyone else feel the same way, or is it just me? :)

(@margaret)
Noble Member

I agree. I'd much rather spend my money in a locally-owned music store, and do.

If GC had the gear I wanted, I'd ask my favorite "local" store (40 minutes away, but still a bit closer than GC) if they could get it for me, and at a comparable price. I don't mind paying somewhat more for the service and attention I get at the locally-owned store, which has been in business since 1927.

Since GC came to town, the local store has gotten noticeably quieter. While I enjoy the calm atmosphere and more individual attention, I know it means bad news for their bottom line.

The only GC I've ever been inside was an absolute zoo and I resolved to not go there again if it could be helped. JMHO.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I agree too, but the only local shop left is a dive with no parking. The other one closed down, but it wasn't for the lack of my business. <sigh>

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I always go with the best shop. Whether that is my local or GC doesnt matter to me. Best means that they are going to give me service and value for my money. Always (mostly) in the past that has meant my local shop. Its not always the cheapest but they know me by name. I have tested GC a few times and actually spent quite a bit of money there too.. BUT they never know me from adam.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I shop pretty much exclusively at MF (owned by GC) because they consistantly have the best selection and prices.
I've also developed a relationship with the management and several long time salespeople.

I have traveled all over the area (about 50 sq. miles) searching for small shops to do work when needed and they are becomming fewer and further between. Fortunatly a new store has opened up about 1/4 mile from my house. i have not been in there yet but plan to visit them soon.

The bigstore age is upon us and it will eventually put all of the smaller shops out of business. Hopefully as they evolve they will begin to include services to support their products, such as an instore luthier service.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

My local stores don't really have that much of a selection. One or two brands and not really the brands I want. The guys at Sam Ash here in Charlotte do remember me and I think one of them remembers my name. I have not really spent much money there lately, though. I've spent enough time there, they have given me a deal without even asking for one.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

My local store is owned by very close friends of the family, so no contest, but I'd buy there regardless before I even set foot inside a guitar supermarket.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

My local store is owned by very close friends of the family, so no contest, but I'd buy there regardless before I even set foot inside a guitar supermarket.

Is that the one just down the road from the Joiners?

I only recently stumbled across that one (can't remember what it's called) but the guy behind the counter seemed friendly enough. I did resolve to give them a shot next time I'm in the market for something.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Lets face it. The local shops never were and never will be like a GC. The locals sell "Fender" and "Gibson" etc....... and usually 2 of the same IF you're lucky. If I want anything they don't have "in-stock", I have to BUY it. I won't buy anything I haven't played yet.

"Schecter, oh I'm sorry we don't carry that brand." I'm not talking about just Schecter either.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Is that the one just down the road from the Joiners?

I only recently stumbled across that one (can't remember what it's called) but the guy behind the counter seemed friendly enough. I did resolve to give them a shot next time I'm in the market for something.

8)
Nope, that's M & M Music (or M.M. Music?) - They're not a bad bunch down there, but still not a patch on mine :) It's The Music Shop in Bitterne ( website).

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

My local stores don't really have that much of a selection.

This is the problem I have. I would love to support a small local store, but the ones that I've been into in my area have had absolutely atrocious selections. So while I'd rather help out a mom and pop place, they're not giving me much reason to do so.

ReplyQuote
(@sticky)
Trusted Member

Here in the Chicago area it seems the smaller shops(Guitar Works, Flynn Guitars) carry used vintage stuff. I bought my accoustic from a smaller shop when I lived in the city(Chicago Music Exchange). I'm going to pull the trigger on my first electric in the next couple months and I'm not sure who to buy from.

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I use them all. Guitar Center (MF) for cheaper things like strings, cases, practice amps, etc. My Les Paul was bought at a local shop who have treated me great ever since. Just recently I had some slight buzzing. Took it in for a setup and they didn't even charge me. I take my Strat to the local shop who sells them. For some odd reason, I prefer to have my guitars setup at places that specialize in those guitars. I wouldn't trust GC to setup my guitars.

Now to me the real question is, which is better, buying fewer larger things local or many smaller things with GC? Which makes them the most money?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Also, all the people out there that are buying from "Mom & Pop" and asking them for price comparisons aren't really doing them any favors. You're taking their profit, but think you are doing them good, you're not. They don't get the good discounts on shipping like the larger chains do and they don't get the big discounts on “bulk” purchases because they can't justify buying 15 strats in different colors.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm ranting. I'm really not.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

In Chicagoland (Evanston), I also recommend Terry Straker's store, Guitar Works. When I lived in that area (many years ago), I would often see Jethro Burns hanging around Guitar Works.

My local Mom & Pop in NJ is Russo Music Center. It's a family-owned store, but the inventory and prices are better than those at GC and SA.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4