Clear all

Guitar for a 9 year old

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My 9 year old son is wanting an electric. He has a nylon string acoustic, but the neck is too thick for him to really play. I was thinking about getting him the Squier Mini-Strat, but realized that the "mini" is in the length, the neck is still the same thickness as a full size. He can reach the 1st fret on my Epi LP, so length isn't really an issue. I compared the neck thickness on my Epi to my older son's Strat and the Epi seems thinner (I just eyeballed it). But the Strat's body is thinner which will be easier on him. The problem is, I can't let him play big brother's strat, because it's a Christmas gift as well. I've narrowed it down to 4 choices...

1. Mini-Strat
2. Full size Strat
3. Full size Epi Special
4. Epi LP Jr. which is full scale, but the body is smaller

I'm new to playing and buying guitars, so I just don't trust myself to make a decision. Anyone have similiar experience or insight?

Thanks,

jeff

Bass player for Undercover

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

To bad you haven't had a reply yet

Actually I have been thinking along the same lines myself. My daughter is 9 and has just begun some playing. She has her own 3/4(?) size accoustic but prefers my telecaster due to a much smaller neck. The overall length is not *really* a problem it seems.

Agree also that a Les Paul neck is even a tad thinner than the fender neck - (qualified guess from me too!) don't think it makes much of a difference tho'

If I was made from money I think I would've gotten her a 'hello kitty' fender - being as I am from muscle and blood, she will probably have to use her own or mine.

not much of a help, but good luck!

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd recomend a Strat style neck rather that a LP neck. I got my son his 1st guitar when he was 8, a "Strat" copy, and it had a pretty narrow neck. He is 11 now, and has a Squier Strat, which he plays all the time, and an Epi LP Jr. that sits on it's guitar stand most of the time because even that neck is alittle wider for him. The Squier '51 might be a good choice because it has the Tele neck on it, and my son plays my Squier Tele no problem. Good luck. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to go ahead and get the mini-Strat. I figured the smaller body and shorter neck will make it easier on him and the easier it is, the more likely he is to play. Somehow, I also left the store with a Squier '51, so he can play that also.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Lucky kid! Are sure you're able to wait until x-mas to see his face?
Somehow, I also left the store with a Squier '51,

:lol: :lol:

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Somehow, I also left the store with a Squier '51, so he can play that also.
Haahahaahahaha Good one!

Sorry if I'm a little late catching this thread.

If you haven't already, add your name to the list in the Guitar Players Forum.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

nmsg

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Finished up the Christmas shopping today. I was worried I wasn't going to be able to find a Torino Red Mini-Strat because everyone seemed to be out. The guy at the Guitar Center in Nashville (his name is Chuck, great guy) kept telling me they had some in transit, well they got there today. He stuck one behind the counter for me and I was in the store 5 minutes later (I work about a mile away). I can't wait for Christmas now. 2 Strats + 2 Crate amps + 2 of all the accessories = 2 really happy boys. Somehow, I went from having one guitar in the house about 3 months ago (an old Fender acoustic) to now having 5: mini-Strat for 9 year old, full Strat for 14 year old, Epi LP & Squier '51 for Dad. The acoustic is still hangin' out for playing Eagles' songs.

Thanks everyone for their help and advice! Now I have to figure out if you tune the mini the same as a full size. I'm going to post in the maintenance forum, or whichever seems appropriate.

ReplyQuote