Notifications
Clear all

Guitar for beginners

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@termite88)
Topic starter  

Hi, as the subject implies I am a beginner and I have no idea about guitar or playing a guitar. I want to learn, but I have no idea which guitar to buy. quite frankly I cant really afford high-end guitars. Is there any guitar that someone would recommend which is under 50 quid. I do realize the price looks steep, but I did end up finding some guitars. So if you guys do knw something about these guitars or if could recommend some other guitar that would be most helpful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindo-Beginner-Mahogany-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B005LUB5UI/ref=sr_1_14?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1340808682&sr=1-14

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindo-Beginner-Cutaway-Acoustic-933C-Blue/dp/B006PFGOHW/ref=sr_1_25?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1340808933&sr=1-25

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindo-Beginner-Cutaway-Acoustic-933C-Purple/dp/B006PFGOOA/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1340808682&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyrific-TY4334-WOODEN-GUITAR-NATURAL/dp/B001J4BT88/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1340808214&sr=8-12

By the way I am looking for acoustic guitars only. I am a right-handed and my fingers are pretty average not long and all.. so a standard guitar size would be quite good.

(@kc0bbq)
Eminent Member

For a first guitar you might be better going to a shop rather than buying something you've never held in your hands. Even if you can't play a single note, try out different guitars to feel what different necks feel like. That's going to be the most important part, the feel of the neck. It's going to hurt enough building up your fingertips without dealing with a guitar that feels really awkward in your hands. Pick up the guitar and use all of your fingers on all of the strings up and down the neck. You don't even have to play a note if you don't feel comfortable. In a good shop you can get a lot of help, explain your situation. And if you're not comfortable playing anything at all you can ask someone to play something for you to hear what it sounds like. Just keep in mind that even on the same guitar no two people sound the same. And if you don't like the way you're treated in a shop, just leave. They're normally pretty helpful because they know that if you're happy you'll get addicted and someday you'll want to upgrade.

They might have something used that feels OK in your hands in your budget, too, which might save you money or give you more selection. And used might get you a guitar that was properly set up, but probably not - I don't think a lot of people want to spend more money on an entry level guitar. A good set up can mean the difference between quitting in frustration or enjoying playing. (Set ups are things like adjusting the neck so it's straight and filing the bridge and nut so the strings are at the proper height.) Not sure what a set up would cost for you, the luthier charges me $35 here.

I can't stand the necks on Ibanez guitars, for example. I just don't like the thin necks. I like a thicker neck. I just bought a Fender Stratocaster. I started looking with a certain model in mind, but after trying lots of different models I ended up buying one that was quite a bit cheaper because it felt better than any of the others.

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

I personally wouldn't trust those guitars. People try to save as much as possible on a plethora of items, and some companies cash in on them: they create subpar products below absolute minimum to try and cheat people out of their money. I would never buy a guitar below 50 pounds, unless it's second hand and I could check it myself.

A decent first hand guitar would go for about 150 pounds, in my opinion. Many beginners quit very quickly when they see the effort involved in playing, while they only want the rewards. This means there are a lot of beginner guitars available very cheap second hand. I would suggest trying to buy one second hand if you're really on a budget. One of the models worth checking out is a Yamaha FG700-S/FG720-S.

It's important as a beginner to not get discouraged. This means that your sound has to be normal, and the instrument can't be horrible to play. Even if you did press on, you'd have to get rid of it to get a proper instrument and no one would buy yours. Money might be very tight, but I'd suggest saving unless you can find a Yamaha/Epiphone/Fender/Takamine second hand in your price range. There are many other good guitars, but it's very difficult for a beginner to separate the good ones from the bad ones. I'd suggest looking at the "Guitar lessons" tab, at the "Buying a guitar" lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I have to agree with Liontable.
The price point you're aiming at is so low...you're better off waiting and saving your money.
If you decide to go ahead now, shop in person, not online. The quality control on an item that 'inexpensive*' will vary wildly from guitar to guitar.

*It's only inexpensive if you end up using it. If you throw it in the closet 2 weeks from now, it was expensive. :D

Don

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

The cheap, imposkibubble to play guitars were called Bat Boxes when I was a kid. Best idea is to buy a used acoustic. Try swap meets, auctions, trading mags...etc. (NOT from online, you can't try them.) Also, remember that the case is a good deal of the price so skip that. MOST OF ALL...bring someone along that can at least play a few chords.

Yep...do this and 50 quid's easy! :wink:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@termite88)
Topic starter  

Well its a good thing I entered a forum before I went in and bought it. Well I guess I have no choice but to go on savings then. I better walk into a shop and try it out as many of you pointed here. Thanks guys I really thought ppl are going to get tough on me and thank you for your constructive thoughts.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Lol my first electric guitar was really crappy, luckily though I was very determined so I didn't give up. Of course I am not encouraging you to buy a bad guitar and I played so much more once I got my Stratocaster.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Tip, budget for a clip on headstock tuner too (chromatic tuner, but I think they all are). Cheap ones are under 10 pounds, I've got this one (or at least the one in the picture). You can get by without a case, even straps or picks, but a tuner is essential, especially if you're just starting.
Second hand is a good way to go, you do pay a bit of a premium for a new guitar. Though you probably do want to check you're not buying a really cheap one second hand. People say nice things about the Yamaha starter acoustics, but I've never tried one. I've got a Ibanez V50, which is playable, though I did get a setup done on it. Also the extras aren't very good (fixed tuning microphone tuner, un-padded bag), except for the strap (it's a strap). Look for a company that actually makes instruments.

ReplyQuote
(@termite88)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info guys!

ReplyQuote
(@bluesmantom)

I always recommend a second hand Yamaha Pacifica or Squire Strat/Tele to my guitar students. You might have to trawl through Gumtree or your local paper to find one at £50 but they're out there!

ReplyQuote