Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Hangers

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey Scrybe. at the last rock show I attended one musician had a rack of electrics. seven all in the same floor rack.
that might work for the duble digit numbers you have.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

dogbite -

Good post about an outside wall; since block is a porous material, there is the moisture aspect of it all. Based on that, I probably would not hang them on that surface.

Actually, I have been looking into floor model stands that hold multiple guitars, such as this type.

I've seen them constructed out of pvc pipe, & I might go that route myself = like this one maybe...

Just another idea. But, being cramped for space myself, I do understand the need to get the guitars up off of the floor.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

yeah. that's what I'm talkin about.

Right on !

And mostly one acoustic guitar is on my bed as I got no stand to keep it right now...and can't find a safer place. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

dogbite -

Good post about an outside wall; since block is a porous material, there is the moisture aspect of it all. Based on that, I probably would not hang them on that surface.

Well .... If you don't want to mount your guitars on a wall, that's fine, but not-contacting moisture/humidity and temp differentials are tantamount to conditions caused by room humidifiers and most types of heating, AFA the guitar is "concerned." the rule of thumb is usually "If you are comfortable, the guitar is comfortable."

as for:

- actual, condensing moisture on the wall coming in contact with the guitar: why would it? guitar hangs away from the wall, not against it. if a room is inundated with moisture and humidity, the guitar probably shouldn't be there on a stand or on the wall.

- temp differentials: same occurs in any room with point heat sources. no worse. guitar hangers have padding that is often a v good therm insulator. there should be enough room behind the guitar for air circulation.

- scratching or damage due to brick: install a lower rail (like a chair rail)

notes from my many years of hanging guitars:

- don't mount too close to the ceiling, or you may whack the headstock going in/out of the hanger

- the "grabbing" type hangars, while seeming more secure, also make in/out more difficult. they also tend to hang the guitar further out from the wall. I use these to clear a framed poster I have on the wall behind a couple of my guitars

- Teles are the test case. they are most likely to be mis-hung. String Swing hangars can be bent into a shape to accommodate Teles. Off-the-Wall hangar handle Teles well. while I've never lost a Tele to improper hanging, I've seen it happen in store. nasty.

- as Robbie mentions, stud mounting (sheetrock/drywall construction) is a good idea and 16 in center studs are just about ideal for spacing guitars

- If you have a neck, back, arm or hand injury, wall mounting can be a problem, as you will need to have enough strength, coordination and balance to hang and unhang the guitar. I've had some temporary injuries that have made it difficult.

- I've never had a guitar knocked off the wall, tho admittedly someone could lean against one. OTOH, no matter how good the floor stand (got some really nice ones), I have had guitars knocked out or over (with the stand), placed incorrectly, vulnerable to cords, moving amps, small children, adult children.

so then, are you more comfortable hanging on a wall or sitting in a stand?

YMMV.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the lengthy, Greg, much appreciated.

The space I'll be hanging them from is an alcove that is tiled, and there are no condensation issues to worry about. The tiles also avoid the potential brickwork scratches. I've got stands for most of the guitars, so in the case of temporary injury, I'd revert back to using them.

The multi-guitar stand is an option I'd considered, but there's just no space to have it (or individual guitar stands) that both allow for easy access and yet don't subject the guitars to maximum risk of being knocked over, bashed, or otherwise damaged. The space I'm working in is too small to keep them on the floor and move around comfortably. And I know that as the space (my practice area) develops this space problem is just going to create more risk if I don't hang the guitars now. Heck, I'm barely managing to make the space work with the amount of guitars in there now, and I'm not using the space to it's fullest at the moment (I'm in there practicing, but this is a practice-techie work-recording space all in one, so as soon as I try to have more than one "project" on the go, it becomes impossible to work safely*).

And FWIW, as the owner of a couple of those acoustic guitar stands, I've never known a contraption as shaky as one of them for keeping a guitar safe.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm gonna go with the audiospares hangers Laz recommended, and will be pinching the brilliant wood board mounting idea too.

* By safely, I mean my guitars do not qualify for treatment on the NHS.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Another option is to just make your own, using boards and dowels. You then have the option to use whatever thickness of dowel, spacing and angles you think is appropriate for each instrument. I've got two or three like this and each spacing can take a choice of instruments (e.g. there's currently a bass guitar where the mandolin is in that pic).

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Nice Banjo there, Chris. I am getting BAS...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2