Clear all

Guitar Pickup Help

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Hade
(@hade)
Topic starter  

Hey, all. I've already decided that I'm most likely going with a Fender Standard Stratocaster with a Roland Cube 30. Take note, I do consider myself a beginner. Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should get the H/S/S layout or the S/S/S layout. I intend to play a large variety of classic rock(Hendrix, Clapton, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc.), blues, and a little bit of the harder stuff. (Sabbath, Megadeth).

Now, I've looked into it, and I've read passages where many people firmly believe that a Strat sounds best with all single-coil pickups, and that its still possible to get great metal-like sounds out of it. Others claim that the H/S/S layout delivers more versatility overall. And, this is where I'm stuck. Please help!

P.S. Any recommendations on pedals for my type of playing would be a welcome addition, as well. :D

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

First off, I would hold off on any pedals for at least a copule of months. If you are a beginner, you will need to learn the very basics first, and a "clean" (i.e. no effects) sound is best. Effects can sometimes hide mistakes you are making, so play it clean in the beginning.

Once you get to the point where you want to add effects, I would suggest an overdrive, if your amp doesn't have one (I am not familar w/ your amp). A really decent, cheap one is made by Behringer. Can't remember the model number, but I have one somewhere buried in my equipment. It gives a very nice, classic rock overdrive - perfect for the players you admire. And it is cheap too!

As far as the pickup issue - s/s/s vs. s/s/h - that is purely a matter of personal taste. I happen to own both. Both are fine guitars. I can't even say which one I "prefer." But, if this is to be your ONLY guitar for awhile, get the s/s/h - that way you will have some ability to play with both single coil pickups AND a humbucker.

ReplyQuote
 Hade
(@hade)
Topic starter  

Hmm, many thanks. I was thinking maybe I could get an American Strat S/S/S layout somewhere down the line when I get better and perhaps a Gibson for more metal-based stuff, though I realize that that is not going to be cheap.

As for the effects, the Roland has a good many built in. My grandfather owns one and it seems to get the job done. It isn't tube either, which I really don't want to get right about since I am concentrating on learning.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Sounds like you are well on your way! Good luck

ReplyQuote
 Hade
(@hade)
Topic starter  

Thanks again! :)

ReplyQuote