Clear all

Guitar Pro Software...

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anybody using this software as a tool?. If so, is it worth the cost of admission? Is it hard to learn?
Thanks,

Koy Carson
West Texas

**60th Anniversary American Strat
**Carvin AC175 Thinline Acoustic
**Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Fender Marcus Miller 5 String Bass
**Fender Geddy Lee Signature Bass
**Warwick Corvette 4 string Bass
**Tradition Fretless Bass
**Takamine Hollow body Bass
**Digitech JamMan

http://www.myspace.com/k5koy

The "PickPocket" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've had it for a couple of years, and I like it.
If you are using it as a learning tool, with downloaded (or otherwise obtained) tabs, it's dead easy, and I find it quite useful.

If you want to use it as a composition tool, well you'll have to wait for someone else to answer that. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to use for that, but I've never tried.

You can download the free demo, and use it for half a month. The demo doesn't have the RSE sound engine, so it just uses your computer's built-in MIDI sounds. IIRC the demo also doesn't let you save a big file, but everything else works.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

I use it, and I think its fantastic. Not only do you get the tab, but you get the sheet music (which should be forced upon us guitarists :)) AND you get where the note/chord is on the piano aswell! Not only that, but you can tell whether the tab is dodgy or not cause you can actually play the song and here it! It has time and key signatures, you can even slow down the tempo for more difficult songs....

If this software was a woman, I'd marry it tbh...

I've not actually tried to compose anything on it, but it seems like a good tool for doing that seeing as you can preset the key and timing before writing... may make music sound a bit mechanical though...

Nath

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Well worth the cash.

ReplyQuote
(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

It's a great tool, well worth the money.

I use it quite often to master difficult passages, even type them into GP myself. It's great for slowing those passages down and playing along to it. And there are tons of songs available on the web for downloading...

ReplyQuote
(@gasbag)
Eminent Member

One more vote for the "I like it" category. I use it a lot. Easy to learn and a lot of fun for me. I have written my own music with it and have also found a lot of songs I like on websites already formatted for GP. Takes a second to download them and then I just print it out.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I like the midis created by it.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I like the midis created by it.

It can also import MIDI files from other sources, and convert them into tabs and sheet music.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I use GP, and I like it. You can, say, turn off the guitar track and leave the other ones playing and then you can play along. Great practice tool.

I have also used it some for composing- or, actually, transcribing. It's OK but I find it a bit cumbersome. For instance, you need to go through the menu to change the timing of a note, for instance if you are following a quarter note with an eighth note. Perhaps there is shortcut I don't know about that makes this easier. I also found entering lyrics a bit cumbersome, as they get put in using a completely separate window from the main score.

You can print the music, but only one track at a time. It would be real cool if you could have it print multiple tracks, say one underneath the other on the same page. For example, a lot of songs have separate guitar tracks for the solos vs. the rhythms. However, I might like to play the rhythms for the main passages of the songs- verses, choruses, etc., and then go into the solos in between the vocals. they way it is now, you have to print out these parts on two separate copies, and then go back and forth between the two printouts, which makes it cumbersome.

Perhaps they will make some improvements along these lines in future versions.

These concerns aside, I still think GP is a good package and well worth the cost, particularly since there is so much available as far as songs.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@gasbag)
Eminent Member

You can print the music, but only one track at a time. It would be real cool if you could have it print multiple tracks, say one underneath the other on the same page. For example, a lot of songs have separate guitar tracks for the solos vs. the rhythms. However, I might like to play the rhythms for the main passages of the songs- verses, choruses, etc., and then go into the solos in between the vocals. they way it is now, you have to print out these parts on two separate copies, and then go back and forth between the two printouts, which makes it cumbersome.

On one of my songs I wrote a rhythm track and a melody track for the song. Track 1 and track 2. Both tracks, including the tab for them directly under each track printed out perfectly. I don't know if there is a limit to how many tracks you can write or print, but I do know I can print at least two tracks with both the the notation and tabs included.

ReplyQuote