Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Purchasing Help

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tclout)
Topic starter  

Hi, ive been playing consistently for about three years, but have gotten pretty serious over the last year. Im looking to buy a new guitar when i graduate next year, that will hopefully take me through a good portion of my life. i came here to get some advice on where to go and what to choose :wink:

Im looking for something that will sound well with finger style music (acoustic). I have no preference on body style or wood, just that they contribute to a warm folky sound. Maybe something with some character, both with sound, and appearance. I like the idea of internal tuning machines, or whatever you'd call them. My current guitar is all laminate. Im looking for something with at least a solid wood top. preferably from an american company. Again, even though im not exactly an advance player now, id like to consider myself up and coming, so i want something that i will be happy with as i progress. With a price range of around five hundred what would you recommend?

I know very little about this. I dont know how realistic the things i said above are, but im only just starting my research, and would love some opinions

(@steves6)
Trusted Member

Go to every guitar store You can get to, Sitdown with every guitar they have inYour price range...

You will know when You have found "Your" Guitar!

ReplyQuote
(@tclout)
Topic starter  

Ha, sounds like a plan. I'll do that 8) . Thanks for the sugestion

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

We would need your budget for more accurate recommendations. Try Seagull, a Canadian brand, they make very nice guitars. They are part of Godin, so brands like LaPatrie, Art&Lutherie, etc. could be good guitars for you (I'm not sure but only Godin and Seagull make solid guitars, review the catalogue or ask to the salesmen).

Martin and Taylor are two brands that you must try. Probably I'd go for a Seagull if I didn't go for a high Martin or Taylor.

You could also try European brands, Lakewood has very nice guitars. And Yamaha also know how to make musical instruments.

Try as many guitars you can and take your time for buying, as you wrote your new friend will be with you a good portion of your life!

Good luck and tell us about your advances.

ReplyQuote