Clear all

Guitar recommendation

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@colonel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

First off, let me say "Thank you" for all the information that I've gotten from this site. It seems to almost unlimited.
Now for the question - I've been using my son's ESP M-50 since I started my guitar journey 5 months ago. He's now decided he wants it back (seems the old man"s interest has resurrected his own). So now I need to find a good beginner's guitar. I've found a local Sam Ash with a few Sqyuier 51's and I've also looked at a few Epi Les Paul's. I'm hoping to keep it under $150.00 Since I'm still a noob I would rather invest my money in more lessons.
Any recommendations regarding the Squier versus the EPI?

Leadership is based on inspiration, not domination; on cooperation, not intimidation.

-- William Arthur Wood

(@alangreen)

Lots of players started out with Squier kit, and an Epi will last you as long as you're still alive and playing. Either of them will serve you well.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Well, I have both and Epi LP and a Squier '51. The Epi was my first electric cause I've always dug the Gibson tone over the Strat tone. One thing I learned: buying guitars leads to buying more guitars. So many people on here were gushing over the Squire '51 that I started checking them out and my local GC had 1 left, in the exact color I wanted, which I saw as a sign that couldn't be ignored. This was back in December when they were discontinued and they were just selling the remaining stock. They must have had a boatload of 'em because I noticed in the Sam Ash circular the other day they are still selling them for the same price. Well, on to your question...

I LOVE my Epi LP. It looks much cooler than the '51 and, to me, sounds better. The neck is thin, which makes it very comfortable and fast to play. The body is chunkier than the '51, which is a drawback to some. My son has the Squier Strat and he likes the thinner body of the '51.

I also love my '51 (notice the lack of all caps though). It is a great value and has more variety tone-wise than the Epi. Since it has both the single coil and humbucker pup, you can actually mimic the sound you get from the Epi with just the bridge pup on. And with the coil-tap ability, you can get close to a Strat sound. So it is definitely more versatile tone-wise. The biggest thing I would change is the neck. It has the neck of a Tele, which is pretty thick. It feels great and solid, but I notice my hands get tired quicker if I'm playing a lot of barre chords.

Either guitar is a great buy and are well worth the $100-$150.

Edit: Including a link to a pic of the two side by side.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffwmartin/Christmas2006/photo#5010858679285823714

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I have owned both guitars, and they are both good values for the $$. The choice really boils down to the tone they make, which is different. The Squier has a single coils and a humbucker - will sound thinner, brighter - more Strat like. The Epi has two humbuckers, thicker guitar - will sound deeper, darker, more full tone.

Also, they obviously feel different to play. The Squier 51 is thinner, smaller, easier to wear. The Epi will be bigger, thicker, & heavier.

Neither is better - just different.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I agree that either is a good choice. From personal experience, I can attest that the Squier 51 is a very solid beginner's instrument at a modest price.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

if you can stretch to alittle more cash, a yamaha pacifica is an excellent instrument (note, not just an excellent 'beginner' instrucment :D )
cant really recommend a guitar in the price range you wanted, but the squire 51 seems a popular choice and has gotten some excellent reviews. either way you're onto a winner - good luck :)

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I agree, the 51' or the epi are both good choices, go down to your local dealer and test each of them out. That's the only way to find out which one was made for you(heck if you got the cash get both :wink: ).

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

I was extremely resistant to buying an electric uitar having spent most of my life as a devoted acoustic man. However one day I decided it was time to break the mould and at least try an electric. As a result I went in and bought an Epi Les Paul. I love it to bits and the tonal quality (for the money) is phenomenal. Unfortunately in the UK we get hit by heavier prices for teh same kit so be grateful if you can pick one up for $150 - the same guitar in the UK with a small amp cost me the equivalent of $400!!!

Having got over the bitterness of paying over the odds I still love it and would always come to its defence in a contest with other guitars in the same price range. Compared to an acoustic I find it very heavy and as a result I tend to be lazy and prefer to sit rather than stand, but I think that is a general problem with many electrics anyway.

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Since I'm still a noob I would rather invest my money in more lessons.

I'm deeply impressed. You're probably the first new player I've seen who put a higher value on gaining the knowledge over the immediate gratification of getting your hands on some flasher equipment. :)

I can't offer any particular reason to choose either guitar but I would second the suggestion that Yamaha Pacificas are also good starter guitars. They're a Strat style so are nicely balanced and good to play. I also second the comment that Les Paul styles tend to be quite heavy, which helps the sound but can make them feel a little bit uncomfortable for some players. Not a biggie, but it's good to have checked the feel and balance of a few different guitars before settling on which suits you best.

All the best with your journey - you'll go far. 8)

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you're thinking about investing in a Squier '51, have a look here....

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=28591&start=0

Seems a lot of people bought them, and roughly, oh, about 100% of them seem happy with what they got..... everyone seems to think not only is it an excellent guitar for the price - don't know if they're still $99.99 - but they're good guitars, full stop!

Be warned though - it's a long thread!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@colonel)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to everyone for your input.

So here's what I'm thinking - being a noob, I don't know from intonation, tone, I don't know alot - yet. So pretty much any good quality guitar will work for me as a "first" guitar. And since everyone who has purchased a Squier really, really likes them and considers them a good value for the money, I'm leaning towards the Squier.
And since it's a discontinued model, better to pick one up now - I can always pick up the Epi later on.
I'll let you know what I think of it after I pick it up, hopefully this Thursday.

Leadership is based on inspiration, not domination; on cooperation, not intimidation.

-- William Arthur Wood

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thanks to everyone for your input.

So here's what I'm thinking - being a noob, I don't know from intonation, tone, I don't know alot - yet. So pretty much any good quality guitar will work for me as a "first" guitar. And since everyone who has purchased a Squier really, really likes them and considers them a good value for the money, I'm leaning towards the Squier.
And since it's a discontinued model, better to pick one up now - I can always pick up the Epi later on.
I'll let you know what I think of it after I pick it up, hopefully this Thursday.

If you like the Squier '51s and can't find one, I have a blond and two-tone. If you were interested, I'd let the blond go for a $100 USD and ship it in the continental US. I like the two tone better so if you'd rather have that I would sell for the same price but charge for shipping. Roughly $25 for US destinations.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote