Clear all

Guitar selection question

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm been reading this thread and I'll throw something out there. If you are leaning towards the Squier to save money and then use that money to tweak the guitar with a new neck, or whatever why not just buy a better guitar to start with one that feels and plays decent to begin with.

At least that way you know what you are getting. You may be able to improve the Squier by tweaking it BUT that's not a guarantee.

What if you spend the extra $$ and the improvements aren't noticable?

Now if you are just going to buy a cheaper guitar to use toward the purcahse of an amp or something then that's a different story that makes more sense to me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

OK I am leaning towards modding the Squier a bit to see what I can make of it and still have some cash leftover for either a new amp or Acoustic. Any input? I have read the obvious upgrades like pickups, but things that help with the playability of the instrument are more important to me right now. I think the nut is too high to be honest. Maybe a new neck? I read somewhere else someone mentioned the string spacing on squiers is smaller than on other guitars (to make it easier for youth fingers) I have noticed this too. Can I improve that with a new neck?

Many neck heels do not fit into a Squier pocket, to counter foregeries and whatever forms of guitar building can be accomplished with misrepresentation ie. "fakes" and so on. Squier MIJ pockets, and MIM's are generally the same as Fender USA at 2 3/16". You can also run into intonation problems, w/variations in length and fit & depending on bridge placement.

Yes, nearly all Squiers have thinner, closer string spacing which starts with the bridge saddles and goes to the slimmer nut, and MIM Stds. are the same. Some fleshier adult fingers can get jammed up there, as mine sometimes do. I don't get quite as good of an action, and seem to miss many of the pinch harmonics on the non "better-built" guitars. Get a good one from the start unless you are a very accomplished customizer and you plan on spending some money in the process. MIM Deluxes ROCK!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Personally, I wouldn't be in a rush to throw parts/money at a squire.

If the nut is too high (how high is it? Pics?) a tech can lower it. (Simply remove the nut, sand some height off the bottom.

Bluejay may not agree, but I'm going to say that the string spacing issue is really minimal. My first step would be to get a decent setup, so that you know how good/bad your squier is, as is.

Only then would I think about minor, emphasize minor expenses in improving it.

Remember that you've got a $200 guitar, give or take. Put another $200 into it, and it's still a $200 guitar. So I wouldn't spend much modding a squier.

You shouldn't need to, though- unless there's something badly damaged about it, a squier should be decently playable when properly calibrated.

BEs,t
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@titus)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Andy,
I'm only into this squire for like $80-100 If I remember right. I checked GC this weekend and a $60 tune up covers pretty much everything discussed here plus strings. (hey that's a few bucks). a $120 tune up covers the frets as well, but I'm less worried about that.

I'm leaning towards the basic tune up and then see where it goes from there. a buddy of mine is a very good guitarist (seems like he can cover any song the first time he hears it) and I had him play my squier this weekend. he thought the tune up was a good idea.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Unless you are tearing up your fingers and strings, go with the basic setup.

You'll notice a huge difference.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@titus)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

when the frets 'need' work, can you tell by looking at them? ever since i started researching these tune ups I've been looking at the frets on every guitar I see (used guitars) and they all seem fine. even my buddies 15 year old telecaster that's basically all original.

Thanks for the confirmation Bish, I think the basic setup is worth it and will do it soon-

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

when the frets 'need' work, can you tell by looking at them? ever since i started researching these tune ups I've been looking at the frets on every guitar I see (used guitars) and they all seem fine. even my buddies 15 year old telecaster that's basically all original.

Thanks for the confirmation Bish, I think the basic setup is worth it and will do it soon-
What you look for with frets are the ends. How far out do they stick? In winter they may but in summer (or more humid conditions) they should be at the edge and not sticking out. Plus, they should all be smooth and very even in height. You will get fret buzz if one sticks up more than another. You'll know it when you hear it. Finally, if one has a nick or gouge in it, a string will hang up on it and ping at you. Again, you'll notice this just by playing.

Usually with most guitars it takes a few years of heavy play to start wearing down frets.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Frets last a LONG time. If your squier is newish, I can't imagine you'd have a serious problem.

But look at them- if they're smooth and even, if they don't stick out or have sharp ends, if they're regularly shaped and seem the same height, they're good.

YOur friend's 15 year old tele is likely fine too- some frets tend to hold up well. Some players tend not to wear them much. (If you play heavier strings, or have heavier hands, they'll wear faster. But it's still a slow process.)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2